Fletch3164

Nov 9, 2021
My sister has just been diagnosed with mixed Alzheimer’s and vascular. No one wants to answer the question of life expectancy, think it started 2/3 years ago and has been declining. How do you know or plan?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My sister has just been diagnosed with mixed Alzheimer’s and vascular. No one wants to answer the question of life expectancy, think it started 2/3 years ago and has been declining. How do you know or plan?
hi @Fletch3164 every person has their own journey. what happens with one doesnt necessarily happen to another which is why no one knows how long is life expectancy. there isnt anything you can plan for but take it a day at a time and make memories. something you would worry about, may never happen but something else you didnt expect may happen.
have you done power of attorney for finance and health and welfare? this will give your sister a voice when she may not be able to voice her wishes herself. has she done a will, checked out benefits she maybe entitled to, does she drive? you will need to inform her insurance company and the DVLA by law. if she doesnt, the insurance may not cover her. look around the site and see the leaflets etc and information that is there. im no good with links. its late now but others will come along in the morning and give you information i havent. the first thing is just breathe step by step

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I think that is something we would all like to know but no one can tell you. My husband has been suffering with some form of dementia for about 13 years and has long standing chronic heart failure.

Our GP is amazed that he is still alive but the decline in the last few months both cognitively and physically is noticeable.

Some people live for years with dementia and others have a shortened life span. No one knows.

Fletch3164

Nov 9, 2021
Thank you, that’s helpful. We have just received the registered LPA’s, applied for AA and she has stopped driving.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Fletch3164 and welcome. My wife's Alzheimer's Disease was diagnosed in 2016 and there were signs of something not being right as far back as 2011. Nobody knows how long a person will live or how the disease will progress. Your sister will need more support further along the line. You have already done some of the important things that will help you to help her. This link might give you some more information:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980