Mum recently diagnosed

Springiscoming

Feb 1, 2024
Hullo, I’ve just joined. Mum, 93, lives round the corner from me. She is physically still quite active and mobile but has been declining cognitively for several years. Can’t remember the day, forgetting to eat, can’t cook etc. recently didn’t recognise her eldest granddaughter on a visit. We now have a diagnosis of mixed dementia, probably Alzheimer’s and vascular. I do most things for my mum and luckily, at the moment her personality seems to have changed for the better. My critical, difficult mum has been swapped by fairies in the night for a slightly helpless but sweet natured old lady! Long may it continue.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Springiscoming and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. Our community is a great place to ask questions, share with others who understand, get good suggestions and let off steam. I am sure that you'll benefit from the support that you find here.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My critical, difficult mum has been swapped by fairies in the night for a slightly helpless but sweet natured old lady! Long may it continue.

That is wonderful. Long may it last indeed.

This happened to my husband as the dementia progressed but sadly he was losing mobility at the same time so I had to decide on residential care.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Hello @Springiscoming . I like your positive name! It seems like you are managing very well at the moment, and it’s fortunate your Mum lives nearby and is now more sweetnatured. My PWD has the same diagnosis, and he has shifted from being quite a critical and wary person into a more gentle soul. Long may it last, but do make time for yourself because it is still very hard and relentless work being a carer!

Springiscoming

Feb 1, 2024
Thanks for your kind reply! Yes I am making the most of it - I’m hoping it’s an inherited family trait, as mum’s mum had always been very volatile but as her dementia progressed she also became far more relaxed and content. Maybe I too will become a completely vague but chilled old woman that people won’t mind too much keeping an eye on!