New diagnosis

Duckieduckbill

Feb 23, 2024
Hi, I’m just back from a diagnosis appointment with my 85yr old Mum. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. I feel quite shocked even though I expected dementia of some sort.
My Mum showed no reaction at all, she just said she knew her memory wasn’t very good. I cried during the explanation but my Mum showed no emotion or surprise at all. When we came out she just talked about the weather and hasn’t mentioned it since.
I just wondered if I should talk to her about the diagnosis or not mention it either as she does seem quite happy and not at all bothered by it.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Duckieduckbill

My mum was the same - when she was told she had Alzheimers it just seemed to go over her head and by the time she got out of the hospital obviously had no memory of having been told at all.

Whenever I tried to talk to her about having Alzheimers she would get very angry, although she would admit that her memory was poor. I stopped trying to talk to her about having Alzheimers after that and just used to refer to her "poor memory"

Duckieduckbill

Feb 23, 2024
Hello @Duckieduckbill

My mum was the same - when she was told she had Alzheimers it just seemed to go over her head and by the time she got out of the hospital obviously had no memory of having been told at all.

Whenever I tried to talk to her about having Alzheimers she would get very angry, although she would admit that her memory was poor. I stopped trying to talk to her about having Alzheimers after that and just used to refer to her "poor memory"
Thank you, I think that might be the best way to approach it.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Duckieduckbill I’m so sorry you’re so upset about your mother’s diagnosis. It does take a while to process.

I would not discuss Alzheimer’s with your mother unless she asks. There is no point. She will either forget or become confused and frightened.

I hope you will find the forum helpful and supportive. This is the place to get all your concerns off your chest Every one here will understand and try to help and support you.

Harky

Oct 13, 2021
@Duckieduckbill there's lots of options out there about telling or not telling them. I'm unsure if my wife is aware of her dementia so we never discuss it. She hallucinats quite badly and has other dementia issues. Personally, I wouldn't Labour the point and just let her get on with things remembering that you might need to live in her world and not correct any strange stuff she may come out with.

Duckieduckbill

Feb 23, 2024
Welcome @Duckieduckbill I’m so sorry you’re so upset about your mother’s diagnosis. It does take a while to process.

I would not discuss Alzheimer’s with your mother unless she asks. There is no point. She will either forget or become confused and frightened.

I hope you will find the forum helpful and supportive. This is the place to get all your concerns off your chest Every one here will understand and try to help and support you.
Thank you

Duckieduckbill

Feb 23, 2024
@Duckieduckbill there's lots of options out there about telling or not telling them. I'm unsure if my wife is aware of her dementia so we never discuss it. She hallucinats quite badly and has other dementia issues. Personally, I wouldn't Labour the point and just let her get on with things remembering that you might need to live in her world and not correct any strange stuff she may come out with.
That’s helpful, thank you