My mum potentially has Posterior Cortical Atrophy aged 60

Abih1509

Jan 20, 2023
Hello, my lovely mum aged 60 potentially has Posterior cortical atrophy.
In 2017 she had a cycling accident and wasn’t wearing a helmet. Fast forward to 2019 and I started noticing changes in her personality such as a shorter temper and she could no longer write very well. Considering she has been a skilled designer all her life, this was alarming and I quickly suspected a form of dementia. Over the years my dad and brother have noticed more signs and started openly talking about it more as we have noticed she struggles more cognitively than memory. We finally managed to encourage her to go to the doctor in May 2022. She has had a CAT scan and an MRI since then, neither of which showed anything. She has now been referred to Sheffield hospital for a deeper MRI scan but she’s been on the waiting list for 13 weeks now and I’m starting to get very impatient. Apparently her doctor has written to whoever needs to be written to but the wait is just torture.
This is the first time I’ve reached out for some kind of help or guidance.. I know I need to talk to someone and get counselling as it’s making me very sad and I’m scared about the future. I’m scared of what her decline is going to do to me… I hate the thought of her not being around to get to know my future children, all the lovely special milestones. I’m scared of feeling jealous of my best friends who will be able to have days or weekends away with their mums. I’m sometimes short tempered with her for doing silly things and then I feel guilty. I’m scared about what it’s doing to my 71 year old father who should be enjoying his later years, not being a carer to a woman who is relatively young with dementia. I’m just so sad and so scared of the future :(

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Abih1509. I'm so sorry that your concerns about your mum brought you here.
I hope you get the scan soon, but in the meantime have you sorted out Lasting Power of Attorney, as if not that will be very invaluable later on. It might be a good idea to get your dad to do it too, so your mum doesn't feel singled out.
I'd keep a diary of your concerns as that too will help doctors work out what is going on.
You might find this forum of interest Younger people with dementia and their carers.
This is a very friendly and supportive place and I'm glad you've found us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ameads