Considering memantine or rivastigmine

Hubbie

Jan 1, 2022
My wife has had the Alzheimer's variant Posterior cortical atrophy for about 9 years. She is still physically fit but her mental condition has deteriorated and she spends quite a lot of time living in delusions, seeing hallucinations, is very much a hypochondriac (thinks often she has terminal cancer) and gets very anxious and depressed at times. A little while ago she was offered memantine or rivastigmine by the Older Peoples mental health team. My wife wasn't keen on taking medication and from what I could see from the internet, neither seemed likely to be of great benefit. However as her mental state gets worse I am now wondering whether we should give one of them a try. Any advice welcome.

windyhill

Dec 9, 2023
My wife has had the Alzheimer's variant Posterior cortical atrophy for about 9 years. She is still physically fit but her mental condition has deteriorated and she spends quite a lot of time living in delusions, seeing hallucinations, is very much a hypochondriac (thinks often she has terminal cancer) and gets very anxious and depressed at times. A little while ago she was offered memantine or rivastigmine by the Older Peoples mental health team. My wife wasn't keen on taking medication and from what I could see from the internet, neither seemed likely to be of great benefit. However as her mental state gets worse I am now wondering whether we should give one of them a try. Any advice welcome.
My wife also has delusions each day and has many hallucinations. She is also very physically fit. One year ago she was prescribed memantine. I didn't see much change in her mental condition although I thought I seen a slight change in her mood swings, but that may have been my imagination. However we have continued with it since it seems to have done no harm and may indeed have helped with her mood swings.
However quantifying anything with this disease is near to impossible because there are so many changes from day to day. I would give it a try for a trial period.

Last edited:

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
My husband was initially prescribed donepezil when he was first diagnosed with dementia 3 years ago, but it made him angry and agitated. They changed him to memantine and he was much better mood wise although he continued to deteriorate in being able to do things. It was recently confirmed that he has Alzheimer’s they have now added in rivastigmine but that doesn’t seem to have made much difference.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi, my OH has been on memantine from diagnosis in 2021. Heart meds meant it was the best available for him.
I did ask at his med review with the memory clinic if it was worth keeping him on it as his dementia has progressed.
I was told that as he is compliant and placid that it would be unwise to change things as I might regret it! Not sure what exactly that meant but I notice a lot on this forum thinks it helps mood! I can't see it's helped with slowing progression though as he is now late mid stage and before 2019 I would have said I was more forgetful than him! He had no recognisable symptoms!
Now we are at the start of double incontinence .

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
Hello. My husband also has PCA. His diagnosis was in 2018. Initially he was prescribed Donepezil then Memantine instead. It didn't seem to make any difference to him whatsoever. Did it slow down progression? I don't think so. It didn't seem to help or harm him but who knows.
For the past 14 months he has been taking a low dose 25 mg of Quetiapine an anti psychotic medication because his hallucinations were severe and causing him to be distressed and dangerous ( throwing objects and breaking doors etc.)
The aim was to stop this because of potential side effects but it has not been appropriate yet.
In addition he now has a tiny dose of Tegretol - all guided by our older people's mental health team . He's still very anxious, rarely sits still, but does sleep a bit at night - usually 6 hours initially then a few more bits of light sleep.

that's been our experience anyway.

good luck.

Charlie bougie

Feb 6, 2024
Hi, my OH has been on memantine from diagnosis in 2021. Heart meds meant it was the best available for him.
I did ask at his med review with the memory clinic if it was worth keeping him on it as his dementia has progressed.
I was told that as he is compliant and placid that it would be unwise to change things as I might regret it! Not sure what exactly that meant but I notice a lot on this forum thinks it helps mood! I can't see it's helped with slowing progression though as he is now late mid stage and before 2019 I would have said I was more forgetful than him! He had no recognisable symptoms!
Now we are at the start of double incontinence .

Charlie bougie

Feb 6, 2024
Maggie We're right where y'all are in this, Charlie is sleeping a little better and has started being incontinent or being late getting wet and the floor..he just started memantine which has helped with his sleep. We have a neurologist appointment next week. Blessings to you I would love to hear how you and love one are doing

special 1

Oct 16, 2023
Hi there. My Husband is on those 2 types of medication and they don't seem to help in any way. It does not slow the disease down, or even change his mood. As far as I am concerned, it is all trial and error. Good luck. Happy days.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
My husband is on rivastigmine because of his hallucinations and delusions. It took a while to get the balance right as his Parkinsons drugs block the rivastigmine but since this was managed it has helped a lot. He no longer hallucinates but does remain fairly delusional. He is much calmer and is not having violent outbursts so its been a win for us while it lasts

Kas 0103

Jan 12, 2022
My husband is on rivastigmine because of his hallucinations and delusions. It took a while to get the balance right as his Parkinsons drugs block the rivastigmine but since this was managed it has helped a lot. He no longer hallucinates but does remain fairly delusional. He is much calmer and is not having violent outbursts so its been a win for us while it lasts
This is very similar to my husband’s experience too. He’s only recently started the Madopar for Parkinson’s symptoms.