My mother-in-law suffered from dementia and was in a care home. She died at the weekend after a particularly bad fall

AngelaR56

Dec 19, 2023
I've just joined this forum, and don't know if I'm posting in the right area.
My mother-in law died in a care home at the weekend. She had a fall about a month ago, and from what I can fathom , one carer asked another for help getting her out of her armchair and into bed, but by the time the second carer got there, my mother-in-law was on the floor. She broke her femur and humerus. Her leg was operated on, but she never got out of bed again. I think the fall definitely contributed to her death, but do you think we have a case for neglect?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
First, I am sorry for your loss.

It doesn't sound like neglect.

Falls happen and are almost impossible to prevent - she may have ended up on the floor even if both carers had been present. And unfortunately, old ladies break easily.

My mother was also in a care home and was standing, talking to a carer. Another carer was a couple of feet away. Another resident approached and unexpectedly pushed my mum who went straight down on her bum and snap - she broke her hip. That did not kill her, nor did the various falls she experienced over the next 18 months until her death. But I doubt if any could have been prevented.

You may well be right that your mum's fall contributed to her death - it is certainly the case for many old, frail people. But that doesn't mean she was neglected or that the care home were to blame.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I agree with @Jaded'n'faded . Even with all the supports put in place, a person with dementia can easily fall and elderly people don’t bounce well. So yes the fall probably contributed to her death but not as a result of neglect I feel.