My mother has Dementia and lives abroad

Sylvie-124

Jul 2, 2024
Hello everyone, my name is Sylvie and I live and work since 20 years in Liverpool. But I am German. My German mother has dementia and this Christmas it got so bad I had to move her into a care home in Germany. It’s so hard. They now say she needs palliative care because her dementia is so advanced. I argued with everyone over there, at some stage I even wanted to bring her to the UK. I did manage with German family courts thought to get aterny for her because I am the only relative. I see her as much as possible but now she can’t even answer the phone often. I called today and the carer gave her the phone. She did she loved me, but pretty much everything else she said was just a confused mush. I love her so much and I miss her so much, I wish I could see her more often.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello everyone, my name is Sylvie and I live and work since 20 years in LiverGpool. But I am German. My German mother has dementia and this Christmas it got so bad I had to move her into a care home in Germany. It’s so hard. They now say she needs palliative care because her dementia is so advanced. I argued with everyone over there, at some stage I even wanted to bring her to the UK. I did manage with German family courts thought to get aterny for her because I am the only relative. I see her as much as possible but now she can’t even answer the phone often. I called today and the carer gave her the phone. She did she loved me, but pretty much everything else she said was just a confused mush. I love her so much and I miss her so much, I wish I could see her more often.
Hello @Sylvie-124 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. Caring for a loved one from a distance is so hard especially when you realise that their condition is getting worse.
I have attached a link to the Alzheimer's Association which gives details of dementia in Germany which you might find useful, I think that you can read the information in English or Deutsch /German.

You might also find it useful to start your own thread in the I care for a person with dementia area of the forum. There you can ask questions or just talk about how you are feeling. Our members are very supportive and understanding.