Music that we go to...

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Youtube presented me with this, yesterday - not heard it in years. 'Julia Dream' (early Pink Floyd).

I remember my brother being the eldest had these LPs -some of which I liked and other stuff I was never so sure of but then I was still in single numbers in age when he used to play his Pink Floyd LPs _ i have to say I don't recall this one at all, but then my taste was always very different -I was the emotional little brother and he was the fearless big brother

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Puccini - Senza Mamma Suor Angelica. I just love this song and I have listened to it for many many years -a mother's grief, but this is so equally a child's grief the other way round. In the end the music really says it all. I chose the Morse version because it is one of the best recorded versions, plus I watched every single episode of Morse, I was a huge fan at the time and sad to see Morse finally leave the world of TV drama and fiction.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
I remember my brother being the eldest had these LPs -some of which I liked and other stuff I was never so sure of but then I was still in single numbers in age when he used to play his Pink Floyd LPs _ i have to say I don't recall this one at all, but then my taste was always very different -I was the emotional little brother and he was the fearless big brother
I only ever liked the very early stuff and 'Another Brick in the Wall' which was on TOTP on BBC 4, Friday, actually.
This was certainly a strange tune, backed up by that animation!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Anyone do their O level music, in the early 80's? One of the six composers we had to learn was Mozart's clarinet quintet in A minor which introduced me to the world of Mozart and I loved it. One piece I have always admired is Laudate Dominum. Mozart's requiem featured heavily in the film Amadeus but the most beautiful part got left out. So here is what I think is the best part sung by Janis kelly for the Morse recordings -all live orchestra and voice...

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
An amazing but short choral piece dating from about 1450 -Es kommt ein Schiff geladen ("A ship is coming, laden"). There is nothing quite like losing ourselves when time permits and transporting our thoughts for a few minutes to something else that gives us a break from the monotony of dementia...

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent

Things, in my view, are so much better when shared with one's LO

I miss her terribly, even though she's in the next room

Sunshine11!

Feb 11, 2022
When I go to visit Mum I have a good blast of whatever Radio 2 are playing, there and back. The volume depends on my mood!
If I’m struggling, a guilty pleasure is on YouTube. It’s a Strictly dance from a few years ago. Faye and Giovanni dancing a Charleston, th The Lonely Goatherd from The Sound of Music. It’s silly and joyful.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Puccini - Senza Mamma Suor Angelica. I just love this song and I have listened to it for many many years -a mother's grief, but this is so equally a child's grief the other way round. In the end the music really says it all. I chose the Morse version because it is one of the best recorded versions, plus I watched every single episode of Morse, I was a huge fan at the time and sad to see Morse finally leave the world of TV drama and fiction.

James, my late husband and I loved to watch Morse. This song is sublime.

As an aside, Colin Dexter who wrote Morse taught languages at the school where I taught English. We were not there at the same time.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
An amazing but short choral piece dating from about 1450 -Es kommt ein Schiff geladen ("A ship is coming, laden"). There is nothing quite like losing ourselves when time permits and transporting our thoughts for a few minutes to something else that gives us a break from the monotony of dementia...

Wonderful!

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent

Things, in my view, are so much better when shared with one's LO

I miss her terribly, even though she's in the next room

Carmenjane

Mar 17, 2022
Could someone please tell me how to link to music videos as you have all done? When I copy and paste a link into an email it works like that, but when I try to do the same here it just comes up with an unclickable link and no picture.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Could someone please tell me how to link to music videos as you have all done? When I copy and paste a link into an email it works like that, but when I try to do the same here it just comes up with an unclickable link and no picture.
This is what I do, I use an Android phone (someone will be able to explain it better)
Go on YouTube - choose which video - click 'share' - options come up, click 'copy link' (this puts it onto my clipboard, access available on my keyboard) - come back to this page - click the 6th icon from the left at top of reply box (3 vertical dots) - 7 icons are displayed, click the 3rd from left (looks like a fold in top right hand corner) - enter the link from your clipboard where it says 'enter media URL' - click 'continue' - then click 'post reply'

Last edited: