Music that we go to...

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Oh I hadn’t heard that before. It is beautiful. If we were at a ‘do’ we’d always be on the dance floor. If a song we liked was played and we were not near each other we’d look across the room, James would Point at me , mouth ‘you’, point at the dance floor and we’d meet in the middle. Family thought it was a hoot.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Oh I hadn’t heard that before. It is beautiful. If we were at a ‘do’ we’d always be on the dance floor. If a song we liked was played and we were not near each other we’d look across the room, James would Point at me , mouth ‘you’, point at the dance floor and we’d meet in the middle. Family thought it was a hoot.
Hi @GillP
My OH and I used to use the words from the sitcom the Liver Birds for when we wanted to dance:
"You dancin'?"
"You askin'?"
"I'm askin'"
"I'm dancin'"
😄😄

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @GillP
My OH and I used to use the words from the sitcom the Liver Birds for when we wanted to dance:
"You dancin'?"
"You askin'?"
"I'm askin'"
"I'm dancin'"
😄😄

Now that will always make me think of Francie and Josie - Jack Milroy and Rikki Fulton. Rikki Fulton was another who had dementia and he died a good few years ago now.

Sorry this doesn’t come with subtitles!🤣

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Now that will always make me think of Francie and Josie - Jack Milroy and Rikki Fulton. Rikki Fulton was another who had dementia and he died a good few years ago now.

Sorry this doesn’t come with subtitles!🤣

@Izzy, I’ve just seen this and it made me laugh out loud. Thank you!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
@Palerider , I needed to hear this today. After a couple of weepy days it has calmed my soul. Thank you.
I think many of us have weepy days -more than we often like to admit to. Mine is nearly always driving back from the care home -music is such an amazing form of expression, we don't need to utter anything, just listen and align ourselves with the music.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I adore chants especially medieval ones and like you I would consider myself a humanist.

One grey and misty morning in Antwerp, I found myself in a small square outside a monastery. It was early and no one around but the chants I heard coming from the monastery were simply beautiful. I sat on a bench with absolutely no need to move.
Just saw your post. I can't explain why I love chant so much, I just do. Lived experiences of music are wonderful when just caught by surprise we hear something...

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
In the Kirk I go to we sing Ubi Caritas after the offering every Sunday. 💜

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Just saw your post. I can't explain why I love chant so much, I just do. Lived experiences of music are wonderful when just caught by surprise we hear something...
It’s funny how those are the moments we remember most and with affection.

I was in Oaxaca in Mexico and visited the church early one morning to find that an elderly lady was on her knees at the altar. Not wishing to disturb her, I wandered quietly round the back of the church for a few minutes and I don’t think she had any idea that I was there. She finally stood and placing her hands in the prayer position, she started to sing. She had a very strong voice and simply sang her heart out. Obviously, she was in harmony and at peace with her lord.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I think many of us have weepy days -more than we often like to admit to. Mine is nearly always driving back from the care home -music is such an amazing form of expression, we don't need to utter anything, just listen and align ourselves with the music.
Chants do something that I can’t think of any other music that has the same factor. There is no need to understand the words and for non Christian folk, they are not necessarily relevant. But it is the beautiful cadences, the gentle ebb and flow that reach parts of our psyche that connect us to that response. Chants don’t rely on changes in tempo which I think has a calming effect and they don’t need drama to make their purpose understood.