Music that we go to...

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Love this. Shostakovich was a favourite of my late husband , he particularly enjoyed the Leningrad symphony. I grew to like it!
Yes its a beautiful piece, a great pity it only lasts 6 mins, sometimes I play this when driving round the old roads before everything changed -extra special in autumn. I do like Shostakovich have a thing for Mahler and Holst as well.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Talking about being broadcast more widely - the transistor radio was a big step change (1950s?). Music became portable.
Without the pioneers of the 50s you might never have got the Beatles - they're the ones who really changed everything.
Paul Macartny always quotes Buddy Holly as the inspiration behind the beatles music in the early days.

researchnut

Oct 23, 2023
When I had singing lessons, I used to love "Memories". I suspect my singing teacher got fed up of me murdering it, but I enjoyed it!
Also love "Over the Rainbow", the Eva Cassidy version and Nina's Simone's "I wish I knew How it would Feel to be Free".
One afternoon when I visited my Mum, the home had an entertainer who sang "Over the Rainbow" with a Ukele. As he approached the final bars, one of the residents began to sing, in a sweet high voice. Before that, she had only screamed. He slowed down and let her sing the final refrain. We were all in tears.
Lovely post. My wife has Alzheimer's. 2 years before she displayed early symptoms she had painted the words of 'Over the Rainbow' on our garden bench in memory of her parents.

researchnut

Oct 23, 2023
I'm very fond of chant too @Palerider, but only in a religious setting. I think I need to get myself in the 'zone' and don't really manage that at home.
My go to music when things get too much is Astral Weeks, by Van Morrison. Dylan is by far my favourite artist but that album has been a firm favourite since I was sixteen.
My go to classical music is Mahler's Ruckert Lieder by Dame Janet Baker and Sibelius 3rd Symphony. But my favourite artists are Van Morrison, especially Madam George on Astral weeks and Dylan's 'Simple Twist of Fate' on Blood on the tracks.

researchnut

Oct 23, 2023
My wife has Alzheimer's now. But before she developed it her favourite was 'Lemon Tree' and her favourite album was 'A Woman's Heart' various artists.

researchnut

Oct 23, 2023
Just beautiful music whatever our mood -its been a while since I heard this, interestingly I visited the Faroe Islands in my teenage years for two weeks -an experience I will never forget including the sea crossing from Shetland ?
In my years studying sociology I wanted to go to the Faroe Islands but never made it. Still on my wish list.

researchnut

Oct 23, 2023
That sounds like a generally good night out.

I just wonder if you can help clarify something for me. My mum used to have the 78's with the Everly Brothers, but she also had the Righteous Brothers and Jimmy Young. I remember playing them as a child, but sadly later on they all got broken after tipping out of mums idea of storage. Can you clarify who sang Unchained melody first, was it Jimmy Young or The Righteous Brothers? As young sweethearts it was there song at the time -thanks in advance
In 1955, three versions of the song (by Les Baxter, Al Hibbler, and Roy Hamilton) charted in the Billboard top 10 in the United States,[5] and four versions (by Al Hibbler, Les Baxter, Jimmy Young, and Liberace) appeared in the top 20 in the United Kingdom simultaneously, a record for any song.[

researchnut

Oct 23, 2023
Once I had Pauline settled and I had set up Alexa to play Music 4 Dementia (M4D radio) from the 50s, she appeared to doze off and then, just minutes ago and while Elvis was warbling, she suddenly joined in with # I’m all shook up# followed by Rock around the clock and didn't open her eyes once. Back to dozing now, amazing 💕
I am going to try that for my wife. Thanks for
Music 4 Dementia (M4D radio)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfly