more support at home?

ANNEW

Jun 5, 2014
Mum has had a care package via our Local Authority for some time (she pays a small amount towards the cost). I know this is public money being used. I try to help as much as I can too, but she lives alone. I do work and am constantly trying to juggle work commitments with helping mum. I know in some areas it is difficult to get any help with care at all and to that extent I am grateful for the help already given.
Social Services have granted her a 30 min call in the morning; 15 mins lunchtime; and a further 45 mins which is divided between a "teatime" call and bedtime call (the carers also change mum into her night time clothes) Mum needs help to get washed and dressed; with her medication; she cannot prepare food herself; although there is usually something in the fridge if she goes there mum might typically take things out of the fridge and put it on her trolley, but then not touch it.
Mum is very very slow in eating; reluctant to drink; only a sip at a time. At lunchtime meals on wheels deliver her dinner. Her mobility is poor; she walks with the aid of a frame, but very slowly. So all in all she has visits which are (or at least are meant to be) an hour an a half a day. Fortunately she is still continent and can just manage to get herself to the toilet /commode but very slowly indeed - and frequently. Recently mum has had a UTI which was not initially diagnosed; very weak, she has had a couple of falls, lethargic and deterioration; she was admitted to hospital and is currently in a "community hospital" where she is receiving excellent care and I am hopeful that when she is ready to be discharged she will be stronger .
Social Services believed that care package was adequate but when I call to see mum more often than not I arrive to find she has barely touched her breakfast and food put out at tea time. At breakfast time and tea time the carers probably watch her have one mouthful and then go.. When I have been there at lunchtime I have found that 15 mins is also not long enough for someone in mum's position to eat an adequate amount. She needs encouraging to eat and drink. Does anyone think it is likely that SS will grant more time for a carer to stay longer to encourage mum to eat and drink; I do hope that Mum will be able to stay in her own home, with adequate support, rather than going into a care home. I can and do visit every day; I do her shopping and laundry but I cannot be there to ensure she is actually getting her meals, even though they have been put in front of her. Does anyone know what length of visits the Social Services can actually grant? If mum needs to go to the toilet while a carer is there I reckon that would take at least 5 mins out of the allotted time! Any feedback from someone who has been or is in a similar position would be most welcome.(By the way from a personal point of view I have virtually no social life myself, nor do I feel that I can even go away at the weekend to visit my family as I feel I need to call in to check on mum, on top of the visits she has from carers. I am called regularly called out at night if mum's "bed sensor" has detected that she is not in bed and she may have fallen or be wandering around). Thanks.

bilslin

Jan 17, 2014
hertforshire
Hi Anne it could be writing your post, although my mum physically is quite fit. But every thing else is the same. My mum eats at mine 3 times a week but really she doesn't eat or drink much. She also has cw in at some meals times when we don't cover and she still don't eat or drink much. Have you thought of day centre where they are fed and looked after. My mum goes and the staff there say sometimes they eat a little more because they are sitting down to eat with others. Does your mum have any other visits, crossroads or age concern, just another face for them to see. lindax

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I know how much people resist the care home route but picture an old lady on her own, immobile and not eating. In a care home other people would be talking to her, encouraging her to eat and on hand to pick her up if she fell. I visit a family friend aged 98 who is frail but lucid and she is constantly having staff and visitors popping in while I am there. Her cleaner was the one who saw a change in her some months ago and insisted on calling the doctor who diagnosed pneumonia. She is not at all lonely with all this attention and will occasionally phone me and have long chats. If she were still struggling at home I think she would pop off rather than be aiming to see 100.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloJb