Mobile phone in care home

Bigmac66

May 23, 2024
Mum, who is 92 with Alzheimer’s has recently moved into a care home, but keeps phoning me, asking when is she going home. I have tried not answering but she just keeps ringing. Many times a day

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Does she really need the phone ? The home will call if there is an emergency or anything you need to know.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
It sounds harsh, but I’d make sure the charger is ‘lost’, or it runs out of credit and isn’t topped up. Or it’s dropped down the loo… Anything really. It’s a common problem, where both the person with dementia and the relative they’re calling, are distressed by the constant calls.

Pretty much standard that once the phone stops working and is out of sight, it’s forgotten. As someone else has observed here recently, it’s a way for the PWD to put off transferring their care needs to their new home, and cling on to their former carer. Best for everyone if it just stops.

If you can’t bring yourself to do any of that, just block the number. Your Mum won’t remember that she’s repeatedly not getting through to you.

Pet26

May 19, 2024
I removed my grandads phone when he moved to care as he was calling with the same issue. Out of sight out of mind hasn’t mentioned it since! I also took away his wallet the other day (always empty as no need to have money on him in the care home and just distresses him that it’s empty and constantly asks for money) even when we gave him some to keep in his wallet for reassurance it would end up missing. Again, has not mentioned it since

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceH