Cannula issues

Christopher Wood

Oct 26, 2023
Good morning

My mother has dementia and she recently had a stay in hospital. The hospital had to put in a cannula and she kept taking it out. Are there any techniques to prevent her taking it out.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

Regards

Chris

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello Chris @Christopher Wood during hospital admissions my mum often pulled at cannulas in her arm/hand, I think because it was something strange and unfamiliar to her as she did the same to nasal cannulas too. Other than the staff keeping a close eye on her I don't think that there were any particular techniques that they used, although from memory they did use larger sized dressings and replaced these regularly to ensure that there was good adhesion.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Our friend has a bandage over his- if its essential , they shometime put kinds boxing gloves type thing on him if its a quick drip/couple of hours

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I don't have a solution but it isn't only cannula's that cause a problem. My OH kept pulling the sticky pads and wires that the hospital had put on him to monitor his heart.
The nurse was really pleased to see me when I arrived and she asked that I stop him removing them!
Well ...they should have have let me stay under the Johns Campaign but told me I couldn't stay. Serve them right🤣