Lwrca and nursing home

Stan69

Nov 4, 2018
My hubby and I are claiming uc and he gets Lwrca but now he's moving into a nursing home permanently I know I will have to make a claim as a single person, he's currently in a home on a acess to care placement with nhs funding ,once he's had his assesment to see what needs he has he will either stay there or move to another nursing home with funding , will he still get the uc and lwrca element as he's under pension age he's only 64, his pip has been paused from when he went on 4 weeks ago

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi, sure it's not LCWRA - Limited Capacity for Work Related Activity, which I'll have to say I've never heard of until now when reading you post I googled it.
K

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Stan69

The way the LA works when you move into a care home is that they assess how much you have in savings to work out whether you would be self-funding or not.
If you have under £23,500 in savings then the Local Authority will will start paying towards the fees. and then once you are below £14,000 they will be paying their maximum. Once they start paying towards the fees you have to contribute your income (minus a personal allowance of about £30 a week) and then the LA will pay extra, up to a certain level (I am assuming that this would be your situation).

If someone is of state pension age, the Local Authority will want you to contribute your state pension and your private/occupational pension and you lose other benefits eg Pension credit. I dont know the situation when you are under state pension age, but I would imagine that you would similarly lose benefits - including LCWRA.

I would contact someone like Citizens Advice who are usually very good on benefits who would be able to clarify things and help you apply for whatever you would be eligible for.

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
As your husband is still working age he should still be entitled to working age benefits as a "single" person. Our situation is different in that when my wife was no longer able to work I was still working so she had to claim just for herself. She got PIP and contribution based ESA. When she moved into a care home the ESA continued (she was initially part LA funded but later got CHC) . The rules on PIP depend on the type of care and the funding arrangements. My wife retained the mobility component of PIP initially but this was suspended when she got CHC funding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Story