Julie Bailey-CURE the NHS (Ref Stafford Hospital Scandal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
'I'm still fighting to do the job I love,' says whistleblower nurse who exposed shocking truth about Stafford Hospital

Despite her role in raising concerns, she remains the only health professional to be disciplined at Mid Staffs NHS Trust, where there were between 400 and 1,200 unnecessary deaths from 2005 to 2008.

While at Cannock Hospital she reported seeing a nurse putting tablets in a patient’s tea and patient hygiene being neglected. During a placement at Stafford Hospital she reported patients left in soiled sheets and nurses mocking patients.
Julie Bailey, of Cure the NHS, which campaigns for better NHS care, said: ‘We desperately need people like her in the NHS. Somebody

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-says-whistleblower-nurse.html#ixzz2Lwydv7T2

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Campaigners will today deliver a letter to David Cameron criticising his ‘deeply shameful’ behaviour in backing NHS chief Sir David Nicholson.
Patients First and Cure the NHS will accuse the Prime Minister of double standards for vowing to prosecute incompetent hospital staff but not the bureaucrats behind the system.
In the letter, the campaigners argue the Government is protecting Sir David because he has ‘faithfully implemented government policies’.
They also accuse ministers of a ‘callous disregard for the views of grieving relatives’ by keeping him in his post and supporting the work he has done.

Julie Bailey of Cure the NHS said’ Sir David Nicholson isn’t a scapegoat – he is ultimately responsible as the leader of the NHS – but he also played a direct role in the disaster at Mid Staffs.
'In recent days we have heard that the public don’t want him and neither do the staff within the NHS.’
In the letter, campaigners accuse ministers of pursuing hospital staff who worked in ‘a climate of fear and failed [in] their duties’ but protecting ‘those who either created or failed to change that system or climate of fear’.
They add: ‘We find such double standards by the Government totally indefensible and a travesty to the memory of patients who have unnecessarily died as a result.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...incompetent-hospital-staff.html#ixzz2LztWP3n3

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
QUESTION FOR jIMBO PLEASE

Morning Jimbo , Have been reading some of the Posts on here but not all & just read your new one & a Question please ...... Do you think Cure The N H S etc & the letter ( s ) given into Number 10 will do any good ? & Sir David will loose his job ? ( You seem more of a Expert on these matters than me )

Our local H Wards for the Elderly etc ( that also includes People with Memory Problems ) is okish but could do A LOT better ...... The Butterfly Scheme is going to start again in the coming weeks

Hope you are keeping well & thanks :) for keeping this thread going

Best Wishes

Love Grove x x

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Hello Grove
Thank you for your post
In answer to the first part of your question about ’ Cure the NHS ‘
I am sure that if the impetus can be sustained a campaign such as this can do a lot of good
I am ancient enough to have lived my adult life with the NHS I can recall so many personal events , including the birth of my three children , the premature death of our first born ,the illnesses’ and death of my parents and my brothers and sisters , All these memories of the NHS over the years
It is a great sadness to my generation to witness the decline of such an admirable institution ,
I pray that before I ‘pop my clogs‘, someone , anyone ,with a voice who has the respect of the country will be able to shake the politicians into doing something to restore the reputation of the NHS
For this reason I have faith in such campaigns as ‘Cure the NHS ‘
With regard to letters and petitions to parliament , I have little faith in them, but nevertheless continue to support such actions
Since I became a member of TP their have been several members who I greatly admire who have shown that perseverance pays , unfortunately I am not made of such stern character , I have written to MP’s the Prime Minister , posted on the governments e-petititions all without any satisfactory results, I persevere only because I hope that one day there will be a breakthrough

I was interested in your note about your local situation
In particular about the hospital Butterfly Scheme ,Some while ago this was the subject of a Thread here on TP
I wrote to our local hospital with details and asked if they were doing anything similar , the response was as always no direct answer to my question , waffling talk about the future etc
I am sure through my own wife’s experience when she was suffering with dementia it is a worthwhile scheme and should be operated by all hospitals

I know for many reasons that posts on ‘Raising Awareness’ donot get a very good response . The reason I continue to post on this particular thread is that hopefully some members may pick up on past contributions , rather than for it to get lost completely in one day and a handful of responses’

jimbo 111

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello & Thank you for your reply & yes agree with you am sure the Cure the N H S Group will do a lot of good over the coming months

Yes the Butterfly Scheme is good & like you agree it should be in all Hospitals ( am sorry you were not given a positive reply from your local Hospital Trust about the Scheme & hope 1 day it will be put in place )

Not sure why other T P 'ers hardly come & reply on this Thread may be some think its not very interesting etc or a wrap up in other problems etc

Jimbo you & Tina are doing a good job keeping this Thread going & for that am grateful & the N H S is back to the reputation that you would like it to be for all our sakes

Thank you once again for your interesting & honest Post Jimbo

Love Grove x x

Last edited:

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) and the Patients Association

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) and the Patients Association have joined forces to make sure concerns raised by people about care being provided to the elderly, can be shared quickly with the regulator and acted on where necessary.

Information from members of the public about the care they receive is valuable intelligence to CQC, as it helps identify where standards of care may be falling below national standards of quality and safety.

People can already contact CQC directly to report their experiences of care, but the regulator wants to reach more people and particularly gather more direct experiences about the care elderly people have received.

Through their joint project, the Patients Association will pass on to CQC any concerns from people who contact them so the regulator can take appropriate action. The charity receives more than 8,000 calls to its Helpline every year and has a network of volunteer ambassadors who encourage people to share their experiences of care.

David Behan, Chief Executive of the Care Quality Commission said:

“We rely on information from the public to help us target our inspections. This important resource helps us to protect and promote the quality and safety of the care patients receive.

“Our valuable partnership with the Patients Association will focus on gathering the experiences of elderly people and their families. As a number of recent reports, including our own State of Care report, have highlighted, there is a clear need to drive improvements to the care older people receive.”

Katherine Murphy, Chief Executive of The Patients Association, said “Health and care services must listen to the public when they complain about the quality of care they receive. Every day patients and relatives contact our Helpline to report poor care. Working with the CQC is important in driving improvements in the care experienced by patients, wherever it is identified.”

The Patients Association Helpline number is 0845 608 4455

The Care Quality Commission can be contacted on 03000 61 61 61

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
NHS boss 'steps aside' over fears high death rates were masked

Until 2011 the Bolton trust had been one of the worst performing hospital trusts in England, with death rates well above the national average.
But that year its mortality rate plummeted, leading to the award. Last December it was ranked as having death rates that were “better than expected”.
Yet between April 2011 and March 2012 some 800 deaths from septicaemia were recorded at Bolton - four times the number one would expect in a trust of that size.

In 2011, Bolton NHS Foundation Trust recorded a large spike in septicaemia deaths – which are not included in official mortality figures – at the Royal Bolton Hospital in Greater Manchester.
During the same year, it also recorded a significant improvement in death rates and was given an award for the “most improved” trust.
But a recent audit demanded by local doctors has unearthed evidence that these improvements may have been fictional.
On Monday staff were told that Dr Jackie Bene, medical director and acting chief executive of the trust, had “stepped aside” to “allow a fully independent view to be taken". The report is expected to be completed by March 6.
Professor Sir Bruce Keogh, medical director of the NHS, last night (Wed) said hospitals “must behave openly and honestly about their performance”, while campaigner Julie Bailey said: “It’s fraud in my mind.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/p...-over-fears-high-death-rates-were-masked.html

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
This trust is in difficulties Jimbo both financially and medically.

I had an experience with this trust a few years ago when I was an in patient which was excellent. I received good nursing care and good clinical care altogether.

However the problems arise when the patient is confused, not able to speak for themself - in essence the elderly and frail. I have posted about the care my mother has had on the occasions this last two years or so when she had to be admitted.

These experiences as the relative of an elderly, frail patient opened my eyes considerably. I have posted here on TP about the poor care and made a complaint to the trust recently.

xxTinaT

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
What shocked me about all of this is that deaths from septecemia are not counted in the mortality rates :eek: :confused:

We may not be considered a country riddled with a culture of corruption but I think we just have a more robust facade. When and how did the moral compass of this country get into this state?

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Sir David Nicholson receives full backing of NHS board

I think they are words that we should all remember in the future , and remind them of their own words , and of their faith in David Nicholson
It is only with continued public pressure that we can hope to make them accountable
For the sake of all of us and the future of the NHS I hope we never have to remind them of their words
But I am not holding my breath
jimbo 111

The following is a summary of the NHS Board meeting as reported in the ’Telegraph today

Professor Malcolm Grant, chairman of the NHS Commissioning Board, said Sir David was the person "we wish very strongly" to lead it.

He said: "Over the recent weeks I have reflected on several occasions with David about what has been said in the press.
"I have discussed it personally with each of the directors of the Commissioning Board and I have discussed it collectively with the non-executive directors of the board.

"He is the person whose command of the detail of the NHS, and his commitment and his passion to its future, we believe to be fundamental to the success of the board."

The chairman said "We look, David, to you to provide us with the leadership as we take through an exceptionally challenging set of changes."

Robert Francis QC, who chaired the public inquiry into the Mid Staffs scandal, attended the meeting of the commissioning board to tell them the NHS needed a culture of "openness, transparency and candour".
He said: "Openness about welcoming complaints and concerns, and explaining what you're doing about them.
"Transparency about how well everything is going. And that means a balanced approach of acknowledging difficulties and deficiencies as well as, quite properly, claiming the credit for things that are going right."
He added that there needed to be "rigorous rules" to ensure staff are honest about the service, "so that you are not being fooled by providers and they are telling you the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, as we like to say in court".
"You, and commissioners in general, should acknowledge your own individual responsibilities for promoting the necessary culture change of individual and collective responsibility."

Sir David Nicholson told the meeting that he and his colleagues needed tro "absorb the criticism".
Saying the "real enemy" was complacency, he said: "What you need to do is absorb the criticisms and understand it in a deep way and do something about it.
"We need to put the entire weight of the NHS, both the patients and the people working in it, to shift that culture in the right way."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/p...olson-receives-full-backing-of-NHS-board.html

PS A more comprehensive report in the Guardian

Sir David Nicholson has the support of David Cameron,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/feb/28/nhs-board-health-chief-future-doubt

Last edited:

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Directors at scandal-hit Staffordshire health trust quit in response to it being placed in administration

Two non-executive directors have resigned from Mid Staffordshire health trust after yesterday's announcement that it will be going into administration.

Board members Eleanor Chumley-Roberts and Dr Lyn Hulme are stepping down from the trust that was at the centre of the Stafford Hospital scandal.

Deputy Chief Executive Maggie Oldham said: ‘The Trust Board wants to emphasise in the strongest possible terms that our focus remains on delivering care to our patients.

A public inquiry into the trust said that patients had experienced 'appalling' care between 2005 and 2009.
It said that the trust had cared more about cost control than the quality and safety of the care it gave.

Mid Staffordshire health trust is in control of Stafford Hospital, where an investigation showed substandard care resulted in hundreds of deaths.

The families of patients involved in the Stafford Hospital scandal protested outside a meeting of NHS bosses yesterday and renewed their calls for the resignation of chief executive Sir David Nicholson.

Sir David, who has faced calls to quit since the Francis report revealed issues a Stafford Hospital, was instead given a vote of confidence.
The trust has been the subject of three inquiries in four years.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...onse-placed-administration.html#ixzz2MITEv9zM

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I read this article in the Daily Mirror today
It is not a paper I normally read ,
But a story from the heart is a story from the heart no matter what paper it is printed in
Many members will have loved ones in care through both dementia and old age
The effects on me are old age , without exception the fear of my friends
of a similar age to myself is the fear of having to go into a care home now we are on our own
Not a very pleasant end of life thought
jimbo 111

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tony-parsons-care-homes-dignitas-1738234

“When my mother was in the last week of her life her great fear was that she would die surrounded by strangers.
She wasn’t afraid of pain. She wasn’t afraid of the cancer that was killing her. And she wasn’t afraid of death.
What scared my mum was the thought that she would be taken from her home and stuck in a care home where people didn’t know her and didn’t care about her.
And I thought of my mum this week when a new report by the Alzheimer’s Society revealed that the overwhelming majority of us have a real terror of ending our lives in a care home.
What are we afraid of?
Neglect. Abuse. A total lack of anything resembling care.
Last year six “carers” at the Winterbourne View home in Bristol were jailed for “cruel, callous and degrading” abuse of elderly residents.
This awful place is unlikely to be unique.
Why are we afraid of ending our lives in care?
Because far too many care homes are dumps, in every sense of the word.
Cruel, uncaring, shabby places that are incapable of showing human compassion when it is needed the most.
Here is the downside to the longer lives that we are all enjoying.
The Alzheimer’s Society says that a record number of patients in care homes have dementia – 322,000 out of 400,000 residents.
We hear so much baloney today about how we can all stay younger for longer.
This week a scientist said, in all seriousness, “72 is the new 30”.
Meaning a 72-year-old in the developed world now has the same life expectancy as a caveman did at 30.
And that’s lovely, but it means our generation has a problem with caring for the elderly that simply did not exist in the past.
These senior citizens need and deserve care that is worthy of the name. They are not getting it.
It is little wonder that 250 British people have made the one-way trip to Swiss suicide clinic Dignitas.
You would never have got my mum out there. There was no way her last meal would be Swiss nosh.
“Toblerone and fondue? Not for me, love.”
But personally I would much rather die in Dignitas than live in the torture chambers of a British care home.
The terminally ill should not have to travel to Switzerland. They should be allowed to die peacefully in their own country, surrounded by their loved ones.
There is no easy way to die. But we should all be allowed to do it with dignity.
In the end my mum got her wish to die at home. It did not seem very likely.
The little house in Billericay, Essex, where she lived for 40 years had become a prison.
As her cancer worsened, suddenly everything was difficult. The kitchen, the bath, the stairs.
I put a stairlift in and she used it once. But this modest house was home. The place where she had been a wife and mother.
Her life had been here. She wanted her death to be here too.
After staying by her side for a week, I left her in the care of her great friend Nellie, a retired NHS nurse, and I went back to London.
Her GP was visiting in the morning and I guessed he would not permit her to live at home any longer.
I started doing research because I knew that she would need some kind of professional care for the rest of her days.
But it wasn’t necessary. The phone call came just before dawn. My mum had died peacefully in her sleep.
And I thank God for my mother’s life, and for the great blessing that she never had to see the inside of a care home.”

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Members will know Normms Mcnamara and may be interested
In the following article in the current issue ofthe

Journal of Dementia Care March/April 2013

Norrms McNamara is a
campaigner on behalf of all
people living with dementia.
He spoke at the launch of the
Prime Minister’s challenge in
London in March 2012

The simple answer has to
be: some progress has been
made, but much more is
needed to fully meet the three
key areas within the challenge.
Pockets of improvement in
health and care are clearly
making a difference despite the
impact of increasing demand
on services in the context of
widespread austerity measures
and reduced resources. Closer
links with local general
practitioners and extending
multidisciplinary working to
include social care; reduced
prescription of anti-psychotic
medication, and increased
community delivery of services
have resulted in more timely
intervention for people with
dementia, a reduction of
avoidable admissions to
hospital and increased carer
information and support.
Dementia care champions
should improve things further
together with newly appointed
older people’s nurse
practitioners working in care
homes in the locality.
Information and research is
available but not always
embraced by care providers,
either because of a lack of
resources or awareness.
Services need to be innovative,
effective and efficient but at the
same time supported and
publicised. Good practice
needs to be shared and
replicated more readily.
Minimum standards across
care providers should reduce
discrepancies in care provision
and help meet the rising
expectations of people with
dementia.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Patient malnutrition 'unacceptable'

Patient malnutrition 'unacceptable'

The Department of Health has said it is "unacceptable" for patients to go hungry or be malnourished in hospitals, and has increased the number of unannounced inspections by the care watchdog to tackle the issue

Dianne Jeffrey, chairwoman of Malnutrition Task Force, condemned the statistics. She told the Sunday Express: "Too many are paying the price with their lives while being deprived of the basic right to good nutrition, hydration and support."
A Department of Health spokeswoman said: "Every NHS patient should expect to be looked after properly in hospital. It is completely unacceptable if patients go hungry or are malnourished.
"To help make sure patients get the right care - and to root out bad practice - the Care Quality Commission has increased the number of unannounced inspections that it undertakes, and soon it will publish its findings from a series of inspections looking specifically at dignity and nutrition.
"We are also investing £100 million on IT so nurses can spend more time with patients, not paperwork. That means nursing rounds where senior nurses will have more time to check that patients are comfortable, are helped to eat and drink, and are treated with the dignity and respect they deserve."

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Elderly patients diagnosed with 'acopia' - a disease that does not exist

This is almost unbelievable
Do you think you have ever suffered with ‘ACOPIA’?????????

If your not sure just read on,

Professor David Oliver said that subconscious ageism within the NHS often meant the elderly are not correctly diagnosed and instead sent to care homes for treatable illnesses.
One study found serious conditions such as strokes, heart disease and Parkinson's were being missed. Patients were instead diagnosed with 'acopia', which only means 'failure to cope'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...ith-acopia-a-disease-that-does-not-exist.html

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Members may be interested in the following extracts from the
Official website of the Nursing & Midwifery Council
The information could be useful when you feel a complaint is justified
( I wonder how many hospitals have this notice on public display )
jimbo 111

http://www.nmc-uk.org/Documents/NMC-Publications/NMC-Care-and-respect.pdf

Reporting a nurse or midwife to the NMC
Who to talk to, how to do it, what happens next
Raise the problem locally first
In most cases, it is best to raise your concerns locally first. The employer can sometimes solve issues quickly and fairly without the need for involvement from the NMC. If the employer decides to refer the case to us, they will be able to send us all the information from their investigation, which makes the process much quicker. However, if it is not appropriate to rely on the employer for any reason, and if the nurse or midwife potentially poses a threat to patient safety you should report the matter directly to us.
Employers and the police refer most cases of alleged impairment to us. However, anyone can report an incident.
You can access independent advice and help with referring a nurse or midwife to us using complaints procedures, and other courses of action from the organisations on this list:
Other healthcare organisations that may be able to help
Act quickly
You should raise any concerns promptly. Although there is no time limit, it is much less straightforward to investigate incidents that took place a number of years ago. In some very serious criminal cases, it is necessary to act quickly to stop the nurse or midwife from working until the criminal case has finished.
Report the incident in writing
You must write to us with any concerns you have - you may find it helpful to use the referral form. [DOC]
We may need to carry out some preliminary investigations with other people so we can properly understand the issues. We need your consent to allow us to receive additional information from those who might hold it. If your case is referred to the Investigating Committee, we will show your referral to the nurse or midwife concerned. We also need your consent to our showing your referral to the nurse or midwife. A consent form is included in the referral form so please be sure to complete this section even if you prefer not to use the rest of the form to make your referral.
If you need help filling in this form please call 020 7462 5800 / 5801 and we will do our best to help you.

People
You should receive care from capable nurses who:
have the knowledge, skills, and desire to provide a high standard of care which meets your individual needs

tell their colleagues straight away if they see them providing poor care or behaving in a way that causes you distress

are trustworthy, dependable and are there for you when you need them

show empathy, compassion and kindness.

Process
You should receive care which makes you feel valued and treated as an individual, by nurses who:
listen to what you have to say, taking time to communicate in the way that is best for you

find out from you, and others who are important to you, how you want to be cared for

provide care in a way that respects your right to privacy and dignity

work together with you, and the people who are important to you, by making sure that your wishes are taken into account when decisions are being made.

Place
Wherever you receive care from a nurse, you should:
feel you are in safe hands

believe that your individual needs are being met in a fair, non-judgmental and respectful way

be confident that the nurses and the equipment that you need are available

be in no doubt that the nurses are committed to ensuring a high standard of care is provided.

If you have any concerns about the nursing care that you or someone you know has received, you should tell someone
The best person to talk to is the person in charge of the nursing team. If you feel unable to raise your concerns with them and would prefer to talk to someone independent, get in touch with the Nursing and Midwifery Council.

Status
Not open for further replies.