Julie Bailey-CURE the NHS (Ref Stafford Hospital Scandal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haylett

Feb 4, 2011
Jimbo, thanks for this. You reminded me of something that I meant to do, but inevitably had forgotten through being distracted! I have now signed up to the campaign.

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
fifiMo

I got pictures of mum's injuries but we were watched so it wasn't easy. We managed to stay a bit later at night but were sometimes ordered off the ward, depended who was on duty. No-one was allowed in at meal times to help feed their relatives, I had a meeting on the ward so stayed by a corner one lunch time. Mum was asleep in chair with her broken arm, the meal came in, a woman with a clipboard walked in said 'just got to fill in the charts' and left, the meal got cold, the meal started to leave, mum still asleep. At that point I got involved and a 'discussion' ensued between the nursing staff and caterer, what would have happened if I hadn't been there?

One day mum was upset and told me she didn't like the food, I looked at the chart, it said she had 'blatently refused to eat', she likes fish & chips so I had a look at the meal when it was left again. The chips tasted strongly of bicarbonate with an odd texture, the fish looked fine on top underneath it was a raw, soggy floury mess, I have no idea if the fish was cooked properly.

With volunteers in place it might help, but how would they get people to eat substandard food? The PPI Forums inspect the hospital on a voluntary basis, their reports are part of the hospital standard report, yet all of this is still happening.

I think it needs Mystery Shoppers, when mum was hurt we thought that there was something along these lines happening, we thought it might be an undercover film crew or something, several people didn't seem to be the usual type.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
I got a phone call one day from a social worker I'd never heard of before to tell me that he had put in a formal complaint on my mother's behalf after observing food having been left at her bed, no attempt to find her or to help her eat and the food was then removed and the drink also. The SW guy was furious. Turns our he was there visiting someone else and a colleague had asked him to pop in and say hi to my mother and make sure she was ok. He said he then demanded to see her,notes and found she''d lost 4 stones since her admission. You just can't make this stuff up!

One day when I retire I am going to write a book to memorialise all of this.

Fiona

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
That's strange, a number of people have encouraged me to write a book about this - theri words were 'you really couldn't make this stuff up!'.

Pity that SW wasn't in our neighbourhood.

Strangely, we knew something was being hidden, a large number of people, obviously employees walked into the bay over a period of days, they would 'casually' walk around or admire the view out of the window then walk over to us and ask what had happened, we told them that is what we wanted to know. They would then leave. Our impression that word had got around about 'something' and they wanted to see for themselves, it wasn't sight seeing, it was genuine concern, they seemed to be shocked. I don't think we got to the bottom of what actually happened, I think the truth may be far worse than the half stories and lies that we have heard so far.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
The PPI Forums inspect the hospital on a voluntary basis, their reports are part of the hospital standard report, yet all of this is still happening.

The PPI was changed by the last government in local LINKs organisations some four/five years ago. I'm a member of my local LINKs which is now to become HEALTHWATCH under this latest government in April of this year.

From the start with the original PPI right through to the latest reincarnation of Healthwatch, there has always been the power to inspect and produce reports but it has always been up to the offical bodies such as Health Trusts, Local Authorities, CQC to act as they wish with these reports as by themselves the reports cannot be acted on.

This is why each of these organisations in turn have had to develop close links with these official bodies and since LINKs formation have had the statutory right to sit on all governing bodies of these organisation.

The new Healthwatch will be a little different than what has gone before in that there will be a central Healthwatch which will gather information from local Healthwatch volunteers and will use this to inform government bodies and the large major charities.

The biggest problem for all of these past and present local voluntary organisations is that they have always been funded through local authorities who have consequently been able to dictate and control what happens within these local organisation as they are the 'piper who pays for the tune' as it were.

xxTinaT

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Thanks for the update Tina.

It is a full time occupation just keeping up with the jargon and name changes and that's before you even contemplate volunteering.

In your experience Tina, are these groups worthwhile? Do they achieve tangible change or are they put in place so they can appease the public? Having been at the coal face so to speak, what kind of system would you put in place to give the public the visibility it needs? Or as JPG1 used to say, HOT Honest Open and Transparent.

On the surface, as an outsider looking in, my fear would be that as long as these groups involve and are often chaired by the Trusts themselves, are we ever going to get that independent reporting or will it always be sanitised before anyone sees anything? I read an article today about the CQC by its own admission, saying thet were not equipped to do the role that is expected of them and that they couldn't guarantee that similar episodes to that in Mid-Staffs couldn't happen again. That in itself isn't a good start is it?

Fiona

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
A forgotten widow and neglect that shames us all

A forgotten widow and neglect that shames us all

The following article in the DM by Amanda Patell may not be comfortable reading and may offend those members who are devoted to and care for their elderly relatives and friends .
But there is more than a grain of truth in the article, and remember the article was written for the general public.
jimbo 111

“Amid the horror stories that have emerged from Stafford Hospital, many of the worst cases of neglect and abuse concerned the elderly.
One healthcare assistant is accused of telling a frail 73-year-old dementia patient, who also suffered from Parkinson's disease, that he was 'no longer a human being, but an animal'.
The Bulgarian-born Bonka Kostova allegedly dragged the poor man out of a toilet by his pyjamas, saying she 'hated working with people like him'.

Well I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that in this country we treat animals better than that.
But while we rightly turn our fury on the nurses and the hospitals responsible for such barbaric behaviour, shouldn't we also look more deeply into our own souls and the way the elderly are treated in our own families and communities?

How many of us have abrogated responsibility for our ageing parents or grandparents, or even neighbours, to others?
There was a time when we cared for them ourselves, took them into our own homes, watched over them, nursed them when they were sick.
Now, too often, the first instinct is to dump them in a hospital bed or a care home - then moan about how much it is costing to keep them there.
People forget that the elderly have spent a lifetime working hard, doing the right thing and caring for us - and that it is their money supporting them in their hour of need.
Sadly, what the Stafford scandal reveals is that concern for the elderly has slipped down our priorities. Take the terrible case of Gloria Foster. The 81-year-old widow had suffered a stroke and lived alone in her own home. She was visited four times a day by a care agency.
When the agency was suddenly closed, no one else came. Not council carers, not the neighbours, not her friends. For nine days she lay alone. One can only imagine her torment.
When a district nurse visited her by chance, Mrs Foster was suffering from dehydration, kidney failure and was covered in bed sores. She died soon after.
Her friends were appalled, and rightly so. But did they not also have a duty of care to a frail old lady with no husband and no children? We cannot go on blaming the NHS and the Government or a lack of resources. They reflect our priorities. This is about a shortage of decency and humanity, not of money.
It's ironic we are so keen to set up Neighbourhood Watch schemes to protect our properties, yet have so little time to watch over those who need us most and to whom we owe so much.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
If I was working full time for the past ten years I would never have been able to cope with the complexities of caring first for my husband and now for my mother. I had to give up work when my husband became ill as he was totally helpless and had to rely on me for everything. When he eventually had to live in a care home, my caring role didn't stop. In many ways it became even more complex as I had to monitor how others cared for him. As soon as he died I was immediately back into caring for my mother in her own home. This is a large chunk out of someone's life, especially when the carer themself is now becoming old and infirm
How can we expect families to work full time AND care for our relatives within their own homes, especially families who have moved away from their parent's area looking for work opportunities. There isn't a family group network of carers any more to spread the burden and all too often the caring is done by just one family member.

In the days when gran lived next door, aunties didn't work and could pop in to gran to check on her every day, uncles could come and sort out the garden, the D.I.Y etc., and social care was largely care by the immediate family. We now have to rely on social care agencies to do the work that the family once did.

I'm sure not many families abrigate their responsibilites regarding elderly and frail parent care but the situation is far more complex and difficult than it was in days gone by. I do agree, that a phone call on the surface, doesn't take much time out of a busy day to check on a relative. But the phone call more often than not reveals how dependant, frail, and complex are the the needs of the person and can result in hours of work to try to resolve the daily problems of maintaining such a person in their own home.

I don't think it is fair to say that the elderly are shipped off to care homes and then forgotten. Many ninety year old residents in care homes have long outlived all their nearest and dearest and have no living relatives to keep an eye on them. Many ninety year old people living in their own home are also in the position of being the 'last man standing'. Is it then left to the third generation to care for great gran when these young people are constantly told they must find a job and get on the ladder of life?

Caring for an eldery, frail relative whether in their own home or in residental settings has in many ways become a real burden on modern families, much more so than in days gone by.

xxTinaT

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Tina
thank you for your response
I did say that some members may be offended by the article
Your reasoned point of view is a welcome response to that propounded
by the author
I hope that those members who do read the article and your response will
have food for thought on the way forward in dealing with the problems faced by the modern society in dealing with old age and infirmity .
Maybe members on TP are conscious of the problems , but I don’t think that the general public are so aware .and, maybe articles such as this one
will promote such awareness
Thanks once more for putting another point of view
jimbo 111

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
Jimbo

I think I can answer you in 3 words 'transfer of guilt':

the neighbours drive past eyes front, they see nothing

If they see an overgrown garden then they see a dirty family

If they see people struggling it is because they want to be independant

If they see no-one going to the door, they remember they saw someone in a uniform go there - once.

If the family tell the SS they want to care for theri relative, they are suspected abusers looking for gain.

If a person gets injured in the home, it is abuse.

If the person gets injured in an ambulance/A&E it happened at home therefore abuse

If injury happens in a ward it is because the person has dementia.

What doesn't happen is that neighbours do not notice that there are no tyre tracks in the snow so is the person alright?

If the family try to cope on their own there isn't any support from anyone.

If the family complain about any organisation their card is marked (or a file with the comment 'we've had trouble with the daughter before' - what kind of trouble, pray tell?)

It is time that people started to see, it will be their turn next, if bad practices aren't stopped NOW it will get worse, the way to start is to use their eyes to see what is happening around them.

I'll get off my soap box now.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
And if you notice a patient in a hospital or in a care home not being treated properly and make a complaint you are 'a 'busybody' and are told complaints can only be accepted from relatives of that patient!

And my next door neighbours would not even see the hump with the arm sticking out was my body in the snow, let alone the footprints!

xxTinaT

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
Or in a certain hospital, why did a staff nurse say that I wasn't to notice what happened to any other patient? If something wrong is going on, I WILL notice it.

They would notice the hump with the arm sticking out but only a few days later when the arm stopped moving and then come round to see if the house was coming up for sale - it is neglected so they would want to negotiate a discount.:rolleyes:

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
A DIGNIFIED REVOLUTION

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever does" (Margaret Meade)

I think the above quote is particularly relevant to this thread on Julie Bailey’s ‘Cure the NHS’

To those members who may not be aware DIGNIFIED REVOLUTION is a website worth reading
It’s reports are not all ‘doom &gloom’ and it is encouraging to read some of the positive news of matters concerning health and care
The website is welsh based , but includes reports from all over the UK

This months newsletter contains for example

*The report from the Mid Staffordshire Public Inquiry

* End of Life Rights Information Line
The End-of-Life Rights Information Line is a UK wide service that supports people to make decisions about the care and treatment that is right for them at the end of life. Tel: 0800 999 2434 or email

* Standards for recording "Do not attempt resuscitation" (DNAR) decisions

*Dementia Dog
The Dementia Dog Project aims to prove that dogs can help people with dementia maintain their waking, sleeping and eating routine, remind them to take medication, improve confidence, keep them active and engaged with their local community, as well as providing a constant companion who will reassure when facing new and unfamiliar situations

*Improving dementia care
This 1000 Lives Plus (Wales) guide has been produced to enable healthcare organisations and teams to implement changes to improve the safety and quality of care of their patients

*Developing supportive design for people with dementia
This King's Fund publication marks the completion of 26 Enhancing the Healing Environment (EHE) schemes in 23 NHS acute, community and mental health hospitals in England to improve the environment of care for people with dementia.

*Seventeen NHS hospitals have dangerously low numbers of nurses
Seventeen NHS hospitals have dangerously low staffing levels, according to rulings by the official safety watchdog. Source: Telegraph.

* Hospital watchdog would not spot another Stafford
Amanda Pollard, a senior inspector at CQC says poor training of inspectors at the Care Quality Commission, along with irregular inspection of hospitals and a culture of bullying

http://dignifiedrevolution.org.uk/

Join the mailing list
If you are reading a copy of this email forwarded to you by a colleague we may not have your contact details. If you would like to guarantee a regular monthly copy of the mailing send your details to info@dignifiedrevolution.org.uk

Hopefully this should ‘whet your appetite’

jimbo 111

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Thanks for the links Jimbo. Perhaps we are not as isolated in our own little world as we think we are. Thank God for the internet eh?

xxTinaT

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Inside the hospital that’s leading a kindness revolution
(By Ross Coward )

I feel frustrated and annoyed
The DM have been running a three part series called “Why Have So Many Nurses Stopped Caring”
The first two articles were relating problems that members of TP are so familiar with
Today (Tuesday 12th Feb) the concluding article was a wonderful story about a ward in a Nottingham Hospital devoted to the care of elderly and people with dementia
I really was a heart warming story of what can be done and achieved in raising the standard of care
Not what should be done in the future but what is happening NOW
The reason for my frustration is that whilst forever posting on the shortcomings of hospital care the opportunity to post some good news is lost because the article did not appear in the DM website
So the only way you could enjoy the article is if you read today’s (Tuesday's)DM
( it maybe printed in future but I doubt it )
I hope some members read it and felt that at last a hospital is recognising the difficulties of dealing with dementia patients who are also suffering with physical disabilities
If you live in Nottingham you are really blessed with the dedication and
hard work of the medical staff in Ward B47
jimbo 111

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
What we need is someone to go along to this ward and analyse all the components which make up the good care which the patients are receiving. There is a real need to put together a programme which can be rolled out around all the NH Trusts in England. There must be key factors which affect the care given and these should be identified.

xxTinaT

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Inside the hospital that’s leading a kindness revolution
(By Ross Coward )

I feel frustrated and annoyed
The DM have been running a three part series called “Why Have So Many Nurses Stopped Caring”
The first two articles were relating problems that members of TP are so familiar with
Today (Tuesday 12th Feb) the concluding article was a wonderful story about a ward in a Nottingham Hospital devoted to the care of elderly and people with dementia
I really was a heart warming story of what can be done and achieved in raising the standard of care
Not what should be done in the future but what is happening NOW
The reason for my frustration is that whilst forever posting on the shortcomings of hospital care the opportunity to post some good news is lost because the article did not appear in the DM website
So the only way you could enjoy the article is if you read today’s (Tuesday's)DM
( it maybe printed in future but I doubt it )
I hope some members read it and felt that at last a hospital is recognising the difficulties of dealing with dementia patients who are also suffering with physical disabilities
If you live in Nottingham you are really blessed with the dedication and
hard work of the medical staff in Ward B47
jimbo 111

FOUND IT
For those of you who were not able to read this heartwarming article
I have succeeded in finding it
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-nursing.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#axzz2KFLLw14x

jimbo 111

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
TinaT and Jimbo, you are both so right.

I read the article, I felt upset reading it, the contrast to what I saw could not have been greater. I think the best summing up of how the elderly are treated in one hospital was summed up by a member of staff 'they put them [the elderly] on a conveyor belt an never let them get off'. At the time I told the person it was my intention to take the conveyor belt apart if that was best for my mum aand to get her out of that place. Reading that article it makes it sound as though that hospital has swopped the conveyor belt to a gentle travellator like you find in airports, a scenic ride was had by all.

Why o why can't the other embrace that? They have their Dementia Intensive Support Team, who the hell were they to support - not the patient and family, they should be embracing what is being done in the article.

Thank you so much for sharing the article Jimbo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.