Julie Bailey-CURE the NHS (Ref Stafford Hospital Scandal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
My Goodness!

Doesn't Mr Guest realise what he has done? He has demonstrated in a very public way everything that has been claimed about attitudes. Relatives will now be reflecting on the sort of service that their loved ones got at the hands of the ambulance crews, innocent paramedics will now have people wondering about them.

The hospital might just have got away with it with a 'lessons learned' statement but this man has brought things right up to date.

I think the comment from his father pretty much said it all.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
WARD B 47 MONITORING REPORT

The following is the Interim report by Nottingham County Council on the Experiences of Carers , Friends and Relatives of Patients on Ward B47
It is a very comprehensive report (35 pages) that must surely pave the way to an improvement in understanding the problems of dementia . treatment of patients and involvement of relatives
I am not sure how knowledge of this report can best be furthered ,but I intend to make sure my local hospital and Social Services receive a copy with a request that they tell me what they are doing

jimbo 111

Ps The report is in PDF ( I am not sure if you need this to read the following )

http://www.strongerlocalvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/Dementia-Strand-1-Monitoring-Report.pdf

Last edited:

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks

The following is the Interim report by Nottingham County Council on the Experiences of Carers , Friends and Relatives of Patients on Ward B47
It is a very comprehensive report (35 pages) that must surely pave the way to an improvement in understanding the problems of dementia . treatment of patients and involvement of relatives
I am not sure how knowledge of this report can best be furthered ,but I intend to make sure my local hospital and Social Services receive a copy with a request that they tell me what they are doing

jimbo 111

Ps The report is in PDF ( I am not sure if you need this to read the following )

http://www.strongerlocalvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/Dementia-Strand-1-Monitoring-Report.pdf

Hello
I mention above my intention to contact the local hospital ad social services to ask them if they have a simmilar programme

Whilst looking up their addresses I came across thefollowing details of how to find your local concil MP etc and email them
You may already know of this site

*****Write to your MP
Get email from your MP
Discuss it with your MP and other local people

http://www.hearfromyourmp.com/

***Contact your Councillors, MP, MEPs, MSPs, or
Northern Ireland, Welsh and London AMs for free

http://www.writetothem.com/

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks

jimbo 111

Hello
I mention above my intention to contact the local hospital ad social services to ask them if they have a similar programme

Whilst looking up their addresses I came across thefollowing details of how to find your local concil MP etc and email them
You may already know of this site

*****Write to your MP
Get email from your MP
Discuss it with your MP and other local people

http://www.hearfromyourmp.com/

***Contact your Councillors, MP, MEPs, MSPs, or
Northern Ireland, Welsh and London AMs for free

http://www.writetothem.com/

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
If you go to the Cure the NHS website and click on the blue LINKS tab on the right hand side (at the top) there's a link to the petition there. Just dunnit.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Thanks Jimbo and Peggy. The easiest way was the way Peggy described and I've just signed on the Cure the NHS website.

I really hope that this man is brought to book. What's the point of having a head of any organisation if that person is never to be made accountable for the organisation running out of control? It was his 'watch' and he failed to be on top of it in a most tragic way for a very long time.

xxTinaT

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Care home resident didn't have her hair washed for four months,

Care home was so cold pensioners had to wear their coats inside and one resident didn't have her hair washed for four months, report finds

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...washed-months-report-finds.html#ixzz2LRCxQ0Ee

A CQC spokesperson said: 'We continue to work closely with Bolton Council and NHS Bolton to ensure all areas of concern are addressed before any decision is made to move residents back in.'

jimbo 111

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
That report is absolutely shocking. Then you have 'Britain's worst...' What I fail to understand is why this is not classed as a criminal offence. If a child is being neglected to this extent the parents would be prosecuted and rightly so, so why does this not apply equally at the other end of the spectrum? From a CQC point of view it reads almost like their are just a few problems which can be rectified...then what...return the people for a repeat performance? To my mind the owners should be banned from ever having anything to do with the care system ever again. Even the RSPCA has the powers to ban people from owning pets when they have a history of abusing animals. We however don't give the same level of importance to our vulnerable elderly people. How sick a society are we living in? At what level does the public think this is somehow acceptable?

You will hear people saying that not all care homes are bad, which is the case. It that a reason to not respond to the ones that are bad? Not all parents are bad but we do see public outrage when bad parents are brought to our attention. Why are the sick and elderly not getting the same reaction? Is it a case of 'There, but for the grace of God...' That article also mentions the fear of being abused that people have that are being subjected to the care system. Do we find that acceptable too? I saw on another thread the statement about there being care homes and care homes and that if you have money you can buy your way into the best. This is not always the case. Illness is a great leveller and it doesn't matter if you have a bean cent or millions in the bank, you will suffer the same as the person standing next to you. This is not about money, ok I accept there is perhaps greed involved, bit primarily this is about people. About the standards that we should expect from the people we entrust the care of our vulnerable to. When will the public stand up and demand this? A care home is only as good as the people working in it. This has been evidenced where a good manager leaves a care home and the new one causes the place to deteriorate. So, the good home of today can become the bad one of tomorrow!!! No member of the public can afford to be complacent. Not one of us...lest we end up the subject of a newspaper article ourselves!!!!

Fiona

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Hopefully the people in Bolton will bear this in mind

LGA statement on CQC home care report
Thursday, 14 February 2013
Responding to a new CQC report on home care, Cllr David Rogers, Chair of the Local Government Association’s Community Wellbeing Board, said:

“Councils are committed to driving up standards of care for the most vulnerable members of society. Local authorities will work with the Care Quality Commission and care providers to stamp out poor performance and will stop using those who fall below suitable levels.

“However, as this report highlights, even the very best efforts of councils are not enough to avert the real and growing crisis we are facing in ensuring older people receive the care they deserve. The stark reality is that the current care system is underfunded and not fit for purpose.

“Local authorities are facing an estimated £1.89 billion reduction in social care budgets and we are concerned that without an urgent injection of money to meet rising demand in the short term, alongside a major revision of the way it is paid for and delivered in future, things will continue to get worse.”

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I have known about the failings of this particular home for some time now Jimbo but have not been able to comment in public about it.

Believe me, all the relevant authorities have known and have been taking action during this period. There have been real and proper steps taken but the failings at this home reached a point where there was no further action which could be taken other than closing the home. There has been a deal of careful monitoring from the day it was brought to the attention of the authorities, I can assure you. The time lapse is because there has to be a period of time where the failing institution can right the faults.

When legal action such as this is taken, it has to be proven that no efforts have been made to remedy the faults.

Whether the legal system needs 'beefing up' is another matter and once again is in the hands of our politicians. Yet another instance of how politics affect the daily lives of those most vulnerable and defenceless in our society.

xxTinaT

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I posted about two/three years ago here on TP about my mother who was well into her eighties when I visited A & E with her and her subsequent stay in hospital.

She had a broken collar bone, was completely delerious and trying to climb off the trolly and was kept in A & E on the trolly for 12 hours. During this time there was no pillow for her or covers. A nurse took a pillow from another patient for her eventually and had to use a towel to cover the pillow as there were no pillow cases.

When she was moved to a ward as an inpatient, because of her dementia and deleria she was disruptive and was moved to four different wards in four days.

I was phoned one morning and without warning or any after care plans, was told she had been discharged and could I come to collect her before lunch? I refused to take her home until a proper care plan was put into place. Whilst waiting to speak to a social worker, a consultant came on the ward and declared that she was too ill to be discharged and she stayed in hospital a further week. I now realise that when the consultant said she had poor kidney function, it was the beginning of her current, terminal illness and she may have been helped if this had been investigated further.

I did complain at the time but did not make it official - only wish now with hindsight that I had! As you know I've now made an official complaint regarding her stay in hospital last month, when my brother and I were told she was to be discharged without any further help as there was nothing wrong with her and whilst waiting to be discharged she was found to have a massive, inoperable tumour on her kidney.

As I say I'm only sorry that I didn't officially complain about her previous stay in hospital. In view of the fact that the apology I was given meant nothing in the light of her very recent stay, I now know that I should have.

Unless we complain to the proper authorities, we will continue to read/experience such poor care.

xxTinaT

Last edited:

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Mid Staffs is not about nursing, it’s about government policy’

This article is in the Nursing Times
It is another perspective on this sad saga

jimbo 111

Mid Staffs is not about nursing, it’s about government policy’

Politicians from every party will be voicing outrage. Senior civil servants and high-ranking NHS personnel will be full of apologies. Everyone will be talking of further “reforms” and how this must never be allowed to happen again. We must listen to patients, we must listen to carers, we must be open and transparent and so on.
Meanwhile, the context, politics and economic conditions that created the Mid Staffordshire Foundation Trust scandal remain – making up a festering, growing sore at the core of our healthcare system.
Top-down targets must still be met locally. If the staff at local levels have no ownership of those targets and don’t see their rationale or agree with them, bullying becomes an inevitable managerial response.

http://www.nursingtimes.net/chris-h...icle?blocktitle=In-the-hotseat&contentID=6855

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Pensioner's hospital death 'due to confusion caused by NHS targets'

How much longer do we intend to tolerate these daily atrocities
I know there are good hospitals , doctors, and nurses . But as long as we continue to see and hear of the bad ones the good practices of the NHS
will continue to decline under the pressure
It is obvious the government and parliament do not have the willpower
(or the ‘guts’) to tackle this problem
Shame on them and all involved in politics
jimbo 111

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9...h-due-to-confusion-caused-by-NHS-targets.html

Status
Not open for further replies.