It's life Jim - but not as we know it!

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Well I can't keep off here today. I've just had a phone call that's annoyed me. Maybe because it's a lack of sleep and I shouldn't let it get to me. But I've just phoned the DWP.
Someone on here a while ago said that they thought I should be claiming the higher amount of AA. Then while I was speaking this morning to the paramedic, he too thought I should be claiming it. So while fresh in my mind I did phone.
The guy was so off-hand and very abrupt. I pointed out that I'm having to put my husband to bed and also get him dressed in the morning. He asked if I had to see to him during the night and I said yes, usually a couple of times when he needs the toilet. He said that normally I would have to get up three or four times in order to qualify. He said he would send the forms but if I find that I don't qualify then I don't need to send the forms back.
Okay, fine, but he didn't have to make me feel like I'm some kind of con merchant.
Yes, get help with the forms … incidentally the not very nice bloke did tell you the number of times you need to get up in order to qualify … that's kind of useful to know? Also you must mention falls at night.
warmest, Kindred.;

Petunia59

Oct 11, 2019
jenniferjean: I think what the DWP guy said is utter rubbish! My Mum's had higher rate AA for over 3 years now; even before she had any carers coming in. I got Age UK to fill in forms.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I hope your husband is able to understand and manage the pain @jenniferjean
I think I understand why you put this. It's still very painful when he tries to get up either off the sofa or the bed. Each time he winces and then says "I've got a pain in my gut. I don't know what's caused that". It's not so bad today as he is hardly moving unless he has to go to the toilet. But each time he says the same thing.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you everyone. Once I get the forms I shall see if I can get AgeUK to help.

I claimed full rate Attendance Allowance because my husband wasn`t safe to be alone at night. Whoever told you there is criteria for how many times your husband needs attention at night @jenniferjean is a `jobsworth`. Your husband needs attention all night long.

Quote. Each time he winces and then says "I've got a pain in my gut.

Do you think he might have strained a muscle?

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I claimed full rate Attendance Allowance because my husband wasn`t safe to be alone at night. Whoever told you there is criteria for how many times your husband needs attention at night @jenniferjean is a `jobsworth`. Your husband needs attention all night long.

Quote. Each time he winces and then says "I've got a pain in my gut.

Do you think he might have strained a muscle?
Thanks @Grannie G , the ambulance man who checked him on Friday seemed to think he's bruised his ribs. This morning when I got him up to use the loo he didn't wince as much, so I think that's probably what he's done. He didn't move about much before the fall but it's even less now. Whether he'll improve when his ribs are better or whether this is how it will be now is anyone's guess.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
My husband has always liked those Celebrations chocolates. We haven't had them for quite a while, so I thought I'd treat him to some at the weekend. He can't take the wrappers off. I know it's such a silly little thing, but it quite upset me to see him struggle.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Well he might not be able to take the wrappers of the sweets but he can still take the lid off a jar of pickled eggs. I opened a new jar to give him two pickled eggs with his lunch. I was busy doing paperwork but heard him in the kitchen. I thought he might have trouble opening the jar if that is what he was after, so went to help. In the kitchen I found one empty jar - he's eaten the lot.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I had a man from Age Concern come round today and filled in my husband's form for the higher rate Attendance Allowance. So it's just a case of wait and see now.
I applied for it for Mum & was told that it would be granted in 6 months time as that’s how long the need had to have been for! I didn’t argue it takes too much energy!

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I applied for it for Mum & was told that it would be granted in 6 months time as that’s how long the need had to have been for! I didn’t argue it takes too much energy!
Yes, I had heard that would be the case. You can backdate it if the need can be justified but you have to state why you haven't claimed previously. I just wanted to leave it as a new claim and then wait the 6 months.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Yes, I had heard that would be the case. You can backdate it if the need can be justified but you have to state why you haven't claimed previously. I just wanted to leave it as a new claim and then wait the 6 months.
It’s the easier option I felt & just couldn’t battle anymore. x

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
It’s the easier option I felt & just couldn’t battle anymore. x
It's a shame that we have to battle for these things. But it is good that we have organisations like Age UK and Age Concern to help us. I do try and promote their help where I can so people know.
We don't have Age UK in our area but their office themselves advised me to try Age Concern.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Today I am starting to complete the fluid chart ready for the appointment with the nurse from the continence service in January. I can only note how many times he goes to the loo, I can't give info on how much he does. As I accompany him during the night because of risk of falls, I'm finding that easier to record than during the day.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
One of the first bits of advice I was given when starting this journey was to accept as much help as was offered.
Well as I now find it hard to take my husband anywhere because of his walking, and the fact that I can't leave him alone, I did contact our chemist to ask if they could add us to their prescription delivery service. I was told that they couldn't as they were not accepting any new customers. I explained how difficult it was for me to bring my husband with me but no .......
Last week I had an appointment with a lady from our local carer support and dementia advice service. Among other things she asked me about having our prescriptions delivered and I explained that we couldn't. She asked me for the details of the chemist and said that she would contact them.
Today she rang me to say that as from now our prescriptions would be delivered. Result!

Fishgirl

Sep 9, 2019
One of the first bits of advice I was given when starting this journey was to accept as much help as was offered.
Well as I now find it hard to take my husband anywhere because of his walking, and the fact that I can't leave him alone, I did contact our chemist to ask if they could add us to their prescription delivery service. I was told that they couldn't as they were not accepting any new customers. I explained how difficult it was for me to bring my husband with me but no .......
Last week I had an appointment with a lady from our local carer support and dementia advice service. Among other things she asked me about having our prescriptions delivered and I explained that we couldn't. She asked me for the details of the chemist and said that she would contact them.
Today she rang me to say that as from now our prescriptions would be delivered. Result!
Well I’m absolutely disgusted!
That’s terrible that a chemist wouldn’t make an exception for someone with Dementia. I was only thinking today that I would start having OH meds delivered because it’s a struggle to get him there, but probably I’ll get the same answer. Well done to the lady from carer support!!xx

Last edited:

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So glad you are now able to have the ‘meds’ delivered. It may seem a small thing to some people but it makes such a difference

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I did contact our chemist to ask if they could add us to their prescription delivery service. I was told that they couldn't as they were not accepting any new customers.

Can you find a new Pharmacy @jenniferjean?

All pharmacies in my area deliver and many have posters in their windows advertising the fact.

Will your GP have a list of Pharmacies who deliver.