It's life Jim - but not as we know it!

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by jenniferjean, Sep 18, 2019.

1. kindred

kindred Registered User

Apr 8, 2018
    Yes, get help with the forms … incidentally the not very nice bloke did tell you the number of times you need to get up in order to qualify … that's kind of useful to know? Also you must mention falls at night.
    warmest, Kindred.;

2. Petunia59

Petunia59 Registered User

Oct 11, 2019
    jenniferjean: I think what the DWP guy said is utter rubbish! My Mum's had higher rate AA for over 3 years now; even before she had any carers coming in. I got Age UK to fill in forms.

3. jenniferjean

jenniferjean Registered User

Apr 2, 2016
    Female
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Thank you everyone. Once I get the forms I shall see if I can get AgeUK to help.

4. jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
    Female
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    I think I understand why you put this. It's still very painful when he tries to get up either off the sofa or the bed. Each time he winces and then says "I've got a pain in my gut. I don't know what's caused that". It's not so bad today as he is hardly moving unless he has to go to the toilet. But each time he says the same thing.

5. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I claimed full rate Attendance Allowance because my husband wasn`t safe to be alone at night. Whoever told you there is criteria for how many times your husband needs attention at night @jenniferjean is a `jobsworth`. Your husband needs attention all night long.

Quote. Each time he winces and then says "I've got a pain in my gut.

Do you think he might have strained a muscle?

6. jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
    Female
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Thanks @Grannie G , the ambulance man who checked him on Friday seemed to think he's bruised his ribs. This morning when I got him up to use the loo he didn't wince as much, so I think that's probably what he's done. He didn't move about much before the fall but it's even less now. Whether he'll improve when his ribs are better or whether this is how it will be now is anyone's guess.

7. jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
    Female
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    My husband has always liked those Celebrations chocolates. We haven't had them for quite a while, so I thought I'd treat him to some at the weekend. He can't take the wrappers off. I know it's such a silly little thing, but it quite upset me to see him struggle.

8. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    This is when it really hits home isn`t it @jenniferjean

9. jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
    Female
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Well he might not be able to take the wrappers of the sweets but he can still take the lid off a jar of pickled eggs. I opened a new jar to give him two pickled eggs with his lunch. I was busy doing paperwork but heard him in the kitchen. I thought he might have trouble opening the jar if that is what he was after, so went to help. In the kitchen I found one empty jar - he's eaten the lot.

10. jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
    Female
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    I had a man from Age Concern come round today and filled in my husband's form for the higher rate Attendance Allowance. So it's just a case of wait and see now.

11. DesperateofDevon

DesperateofDevon Registered User

Jul 7, 2019
    I applied for it for Mum & was told that it would be granted in 6 months time as that’s how long the need had to have been for! I didn’t argue it takes too much energy!

12. jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
    Female
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Yes, I had heard that would be the case. You can backdate it if the need can be justified but you have to state why you haven't claimed previously. I just wanted to leave it as a new claim and then wait the 6 months.

13. DesperateofDevon

DesperateofDevon Registered User

Jul 7, 2019
    It’s the easier option I felt & just couldn’t battle anymore. x

14. jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
    Female
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    It's a shame that we have to battle for these things. But it is good that we have organisations like Age UK and Age Concern to help us. I do try and promote their help where I can so people know.
    We don't have Age UK in our area but their office themselves advised me to try Age Concern.