It’s all so strange

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
It’s almost a year since OH began his several weeks of meltdown which led eventually to his ’brainflip’ and and complete switch in his personality.

To date, we have not had one argument and life has certainly been much more pleasant and peaceful. For me, I still balk at the restrictions that I have. Everyone I know is going to Queensland, Bali or Europe and I get itchyfeet just thinking about a holiday. But I accept that just how things are and it’s worth having my peace of mind and calm life,

His short term memory continues to slip ever so slowly and his speech and confusion are a little worse than a year ago. Physically, he is deteriorating and our GP said to me recently that he is amazed at how he has lived beyond expectations. His old computer chair finally collapsed with him in it the other day and he had no idea of how to wriggle out of it and how to get up. Totally unhurt.

And on the day of my volunteer group, he was still asleep when I left. Anyway, at about lunch time, he phoned me wanting to know where the dog was. After suggesting to him that he should look around the house, he finally found her on my bed. I think he had woken up and had no idea what time it was and got thoroughly muddled.

He was talking to his brothers on Skype last night and one told OH that he has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. It was not a surprise as both brothers have often talked about troubles with their memory and other things that sort of fit with the usual signs of AD. It must be quite a concern as OH’s mum died as a result of AD and was really difficult for a long time. We do know that the family is very close and that he will be well supported. Mostly, he lives with his cousin but after various surgeries, he has stayed with his daughter.

OH has his defibrillator checked at the cardiac clinic once every six months but apart from that, our GP manages all his health issues without input from anyone else these days. We are certainly not going back to the geriatrician so GP, dentist and defibrillator check is how it now is. And I think OH is happy to do it that way without all the visits to various doctors and just finds it makes his life a little easier.

He is still playing bridge regularly and takes dog out for a stroll but doesn’t do much else. He enjoys going out for a meal and enjoys a glass of wine with a meal.

So I am one of the lucky ones and am grateful that the year has been so different to the ones that went before.

T1000

Feb 3, 2022
@Lawson58 I do remember this thread and it's great that you have had this change, at least hopefully it will last and be calm for you. I am much earlier in the stages with my mum and dread what may come, for now she can live with us but hubby can't take it much more, unedrstandibly. So sorry to hear about your hubbys brother, such an awful disease and luckily he has some support, as it sounds like they are far away.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm glad the change has lasted so long. You seem to have reached calm waters. I think your decision to cut back on all the doctor visits is a wise one. Things are at an equilibrium now so why do anything that will upset that? I'm assuming removing his rivastigmine patch had no or little effect.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hopefully the brain flip will remain and he can go on enjoying life for a while longer and no arguments make things much better for you.

Our restrictions have gone but getting away is still not simple like before covid. Flight and train cancellations make everything less inviting and the cost of everything is off putting to say the least..

One of dads sisters had dementia but the other sister is very healthy and his older brother reached 95 without any signs so it is there in the family.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I'm glad the change has lasted so long. You seem to have reached calm waters. I think your decision to cut back on all the doctor visits is a wise one. Things are at an equilibrium now so why do anything that will upset that? I'm assuming removing his rivastigmine patch had no or little effect.
There was absolutely no difference once he stopped using the rivastigimine patches, none at all. It was just one less medication he had to take. He had a few physical problems recently and GP made him cut back his fluid intake (from 8 cups of tea to 2). GP was reluctant to add to his drug regime if cutting back on fluids helped which it did. He lost 4 kilograms in 3 days and found he wasn’t getting so short of breath.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Oh my goodness! That is a lot of weight to lose in 3 days @Lawson58.
It does sound a lot but it was all fluid. With his heart failure, his kidneys aren’t functioning particularly well and if he drinks too much, the fluid builds up causing shortness of breath amongst other things.

I had to buy him new shoes in a larger size as his feet were swelling. I have been trying to get him new trousers but he’s hoping his waistline will shrink if he loses more weight so is still wearing old ones. He wears track pants at home so it doesn’t really matter much.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
OH was in a thoughtful mood last night and wanted to talk, something he likes to do now that started a few months ago.

He started asking me about my early travelling days which was 1985 with my then husband. Eventually, he started telling me about his ex wife and it was quite a revelation. I had always known that she had left him for another man but he told me about other affairs that she had prior to her going.

I had never known about any of that so it took me completely and utterly by surprise. He was quite lucid and was very clear about the events and the details of how he found out. I think what I find confusing is that we have known each other almost twenty years and this the first time he has told me of these things.

I don’t believe that it was confabulation as it was perfectly within the context of their family situation, their employment etc and all those details were as I have always understood them to be. He found it hard to explain why he stayed with her but I suspect that with two boys and a business, he simply didn’t know how to solve the problem of separation.

So all day I have been asking myself why now? Why after all this time did he choose to tell me? It does explain in some way the paranoia of the years prior to dementia, the accusations of my being unfaithful and hiding things and all the other stuff that happened.

To me, it just adds another layer over the events of the last year, with the huge meltdown followed by peace since then.

He has started sleeping better as the treatment started by the dermatologist has controlled the itching and is getting out of bed at a reasonable time in the mornings. Sadly this has lulled him into the idea that he can get better and one he will be able to go back to attending bridge congresses but we will have to deflect that when it comes up again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare