Is it Alzheimer’s related

tishand

Jul 26, 2021
Good afternoon all.
My dad has Alzheimer’s diagnosed 4 years ago and I am his primary carer. Dad has recently told me that he’s had a few incidents while on his daily walks, meaning he has accidentally pooped himself. He says it’s because he’s not been able to get to a toilet in time as he walks a lot slower than he used to. Is this part of Alzheimer’s progressIon that he can’t hold onto his bowel movement until he finds a toilet? Have other people had this with the people they care for and what can I do to help him with this?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Pretty much everyone with dementia becomes incontinent. Your dad is in the first stages of this which is not being able to get there in time. Unfortunately as the disease progresses, his brain will no longer give him the message that 'he wants to go' at all, so it will happen when it happens...

Sooner or later he will eed supervision when he goes to the toilet as he will forget what to do in there or won't clean himself adequately.

Get him in pull-up pants such as the Tena ones. Aldi and others also sell them. You'll need to look into bed protection too.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome. It does (in my opinion) need checking out, medically. Faecal urgency as it's politely put can be a symptom of conditions like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) being the most common, ulcerative colitis is another.
Pull up pants might treat a symptom but if is is something treatable you would be literally as well as metaphorically be papering over the cracks.
My advice is get an appointment with his GP and start the ball rolling ASAP please. K

tishand

Jul 26, 2021
Hello and welcome. It does (in my opinion) need checking out, medically. Faecal urgency as it's politely put can be a symptom of conditions like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) being the most common, ulcerative colitis is another.
Pull up pants might treat a symptom but if is is something treatable you would be literally as well as metaphorically be papering over the cracks.
My advice is get an appointment with his GP and start the ball rolling ASAP please. K
Thankyou, I have made him an appointment just to be sure there is no other condition causing this. Any ideas on persuading dad to use pull up pants for this?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Duvet underwear, on a day like today, what's not to like on a day like today. Underpants that fasten at the side so you don't have to bend over to put them on...sell the positives.
They are called pull ups but several brands side fasten, can't mention a brand but hospitals and care homes usually use side fastening not pull ups.
K