I'm going to Chicago, sorry but I can't take you with me baby

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Arrived Toronto last after a good flight. It was 10 pm (3am UK time) but early enough for a hazy IPA before bed. Off on a guided cycle ride this afternoon and evening. Here's what I saw at Union Station last night.

1000000625.jpg

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
How fabulous, @northumbrian_k ! I’m very envious. I was last in Toronto in 1976 and I’ve always wanted to go back. Fond memories of a trip up the CN Tower, but I think my fear of heights now would be too great to repeat the experience! I hope you have a wonderful holiday, safe cycling.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Back online after 4 days and nights crossing Canada by train. No WiFi but plenty of interesting people 3 meals a day and tremendous scenery through the Rockies.

20240703_124322.jpg

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @northumbrian_k
You lucky thing!
If you are or were on the Rocky Mountaineer train along the Fraser River in BC you would have passed the end of the garden of one of my sisters who lives in Maple Ridge about 30 miles east of Vancouver. Her house is on a hill, and her back garden goes down towards the river, cut off by the railroad land, but from her house you can hear the train's "call"
Have a great trip.
Need some more posts and views please

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
What a performance to get a drink or food here at Toronto Pearson airport. One must scan to order and pay, turn down offers of water and cheesecake (or accept), add items to a virtual cart then check out by giving an email address and phone number followed by credit card or PayPal details. Not easy when UK mobile number is said to be invalid! Or if one doesn't have a smartphone.

I wasn't desperate for a drink but had to persevere just to see if it could be done. It only took 20 minutes to order a single beer. What happened to just asking the bartender?

To be fair, at Toronto, on 'The Canadian' train and at Vancouver service has been excellent and I have met many interesting people. I missed the Rolling Stones concert but spent a couple of boozy hours with fans.

Sometimes I feel guilty posting about my holidays when others on the Forum are struggling and stressed. But I hope that some at least take pleasure in my ramblings and photos.

20240708_125426.jpg

Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
they are really nice pictures. im never going to be able to travel so its nice to share your journey. my younger son move to canada at the end of this month, his wife is canadian so nice to see some of the scenery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richb99999