I'm going to Chicago, sorry but I can't take you with me baby

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Bearing in mind the frisson of a random PCR test for Covid on my last holiday - and although it is not a current requirement - I thought that I would do a self-test before going to the airport this time. Fortunately (as expected) it was negative so I can board the plane tomorrow morning with a clear conscience. About 20 hours of flights, 46+ hours on trains and plenty more in clubs, bars and restaurants will raise my risk of exposure. But that's factored into to any public activity at home or abroad nowadays.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Made it to a rather warm Chicago after a long journey. It's 10 pm (4 am at home), I have checked into my hotel on the Magnificent Mile and am now having a pint of Goose Island 312 in the basement at Streeters Tavern. The holiday starts here.
20230901_214746.jpg

20230901_215645.jpg

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Made it to a rather warm Chicago after a long journey. It's 10 pm (4 am at home), I have checked into my hotel on the Magnificent Mile and am now having a pint of Goose Island 312 in the basement at Streeters Tavern. The holiday starts here.
View attachment 68804
View attachment 68805
'Goose Island 312"??? - no Broon then? (that's 2 dogs at hyem).
Don't get mortal too early, marra!

Howay the lad!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
A great night of blues, food and meeting people at Legends, with 2 good bands delivering a mix of guitar-based blues and soul/blues shouting. A rare appearance by club founder and blues legend Buddy Guy showed that, aged 87, he can still hold an audience through his talent and stage presence. The old man who shuffled onstage was transformed as soon as he was given a microphone. No guitar playing, but his powerful voice and unique sense of humour needed only a little whisky to get warmed up.

Here he is next to Chicago singer Mzzy Reese.
20230902_230413.jpg

Last edited:

Cerisy

Jun 9, 2021
Buddy Guy? Amazing, didn’t know he was with us - a great blues singer - dead jealous 😊

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
I'd never heard of him, either. Just googled him.
"The gates of heaven must be open........"

Keep this excellent reportage up, please.