I'm going to Chicago, sorry but I can't take you with me baby

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
The temperature was 26 degrees C at 9am and soon rose to the high 30s, with risks of sun exposure and dehydration. It was one of my hottest ever days on a bike on what is a non-cycling solo holiday. I have now got 2 easy days travelling by sleeper car on a train to Los Angeles. A long journey with much to see.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Just spoken to a friend who I met on holiday last year. A fellow cyclist, he lives north of San Diego, my next port of call. He is keen to show me a local cycle route (just 1 climb of about 400') so we are meeting tomorrow. He's a suspiciously fit 73 year old. I suffered in heat of up to 39 degrees cycling in Chicago on Monday so hope that it isn't so hot tomorrow. Barbecue at his house to follow.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Our planned ride was delayed by 2 days but today I met up with my friend and his cycling buddy. With a combined age of 215, 3 of us had a great ride to Torrey Pines, showing that you are never too old. Afterwards, relaxing with my friend and his wife we rediscovered what friendship means. We talked about so much and Dementia Talking Point got a mention. A perfect way to end my time in San Diego,
IMG_5372.JPG

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Back to earth with a bump. I did a LFT this morning - negative - before picking up the dog and visiting my wife. But the visit has been postponed as her care home has a few cases of Covid. My wife is unaffected but I don't fancy having to don PPE to visit her nor taking an unnecessary risk by going somewhere where Covid has been confirmed. Depending on test results tomorrow, I hope to be able to visit early next week.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Oh that is such a shame but you have made the right decision.
How is Inky, when we used to collect our cat from the cattery she used to sulk for days just to punish us awful humans.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Managed to get in to see my wife today as her care home is no longer under temporary restrictions. As for Inky, he had such a good time he can't wait for me to go away again.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Flushed with the success of my latest Amtrak trip I have been considering another train journey for next year. The California Zephyr was a possibility but, having heard of the quality of service on Canadian trains, I have chosen Via rail's prosaically-named 'The Canadian'. I'll have a cabin for 1 for the 4 day journey from Toronto to Vancouver, BC. It will be 3 meals a day on the train and - close to midsummer - about 16 hours of daylight for scenic viewing.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
That sounds wonderful. If you have a cabin for one of the days does that mean you are sitting up all night for the rest of the time.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Ooh we shall all look forward to that trip 😀 We did Vancouver to Jasper - the scenery was stunning.