I need a drink......... anyone want to join me???

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Stresshead, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Stresshead

Stresshead Registered User

Sep 13, 2014
    Well it's Friday night and I'm sat in having frustrating groundhog day style conversations with my lovely dad with Alzheimers. Every days the same, at about 4.30pm he starts looking at his watch and announcing that he's off to bed. Every day I say sorry dad it's too early, why don't we have a cup of tea and watch (another) episode of Last of The Summer Wine. Every day this continues (with much elaborate yawning) until about 7pm when I finally back down and help him up to bed. Then I have the same conversations about why he has to take his clothes off and why he can't wear them to bed !! It's not that I'm being cruel but if I let him go to bed any earlier he would be up at about 4 or 5 in the morning meaning that we would have to get up too in case he fell etc.

It's been one of those weeks (which I know you've all had). Messy accidents in the bathroom and pooh trodden all around the house, an episode of projectile vomiting which saw my bathroom attractively pebble dashed !! Yet another infection brewing adding yet more confusion and a full on struggle this morning in the bathroom to get him to wash and shave which resulted in one of his eyebrows being shaved off !!! He did that not me before you think it was was my way of getting him back.

I almost can't remember what life was like before Alzheimers came to live with us but pray every night that God gives me strength and patience to deal with it whilst it resides with us.

In the meantime though........thank the Lord for wine. xx

2. Miss Merlot

Miss Merlot Registered User

Oct 15, 2012
    Cheers to that! Or not...

Either way am joining you in that drink.

3. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Is the sun over the yardarm yet? So hard to tell when it's cloudy so I'll take that as a yes, Chardonnay time:)
    K

4. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    Definitely over yardarm here, il have a g&t even if it is cold and raining :D

5. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm sorry, I don't want to be disrespectful but I laughed till I had tears in my eyes, particularly the part I bolded. I'm at work still so good job I'm alone today.

6. Flake

Flake Registered User

Mar 9, 2015
    Im joining you in a drink - a nice fizzy one. Life chucks us rotten stuff and wine certainly helps and of course chocolate ! :D

7. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    No yardarm in my house, today has been very busy and stressful with family visits, so every cup of fresh coffee drank has had a little whisky in it. now I have given up on the coffee and just drinking the malt scotch. I've got a little red face - whisky not totally to blame, heating has been on since 3.30pm, but all mum's chatter is going right over my very hot head.

8. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    It's filling up in here, ***brings in more wine and chocolate***;)

9. RedLou

RedLou Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    & ice cream. Or preferably wine, chocolate AND ice cream.

10. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    Nice rosy face Tin, a healthy glow:D

Redlou :D

11. Wendy C

Wendy C Registered User

Jan 29, 2012
    West Midlands
    Will join you shortly with a long, strong vodka and coke. I feel a drink helps, so why not. Cheers to you all. We will be meeting at the AA soon. xxx:)

12. Miss Merlot

Miss Merlot Registered User

Oct 15, 2012
    My husband routinely plucks / shaves his own eyebrows off voluntarily - and he doesn't even have Alzheimers! At least, I don't think.

Trictillomania, babayyyy....

13. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Upset tummy all afternoon; water and bed.
    This is some respite! But glad OH isn't here, that would make life difficult!!

14. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    Aww spamar hope you recover quick , sleep well:)

15. daisydi

daisydi Registered User

Feb 25, 2015
    Norfolk
    Cheers! I had forgotten what life was like before carehome. Your situation rings very loud bells with me. constant battle every day. Good luck

16. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Nothing like a nice wee malt. Is it a Speyside?

I'm lucky. My lovely boy has been good today. He is mostly. Just sad we can't have a conversation.

We're on Sauvignon Blanc at the moment. We can still share that!

17. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    That's nice izzy you can still share though, you can chat to us and clink glasses there:D

18. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    .... and I'm watching Masterchef so the food is good!!!

Bill is leafing through a furniture brochure. He must have plans for the house!:eek:

19. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    But who makes their couscous from scratch??!!

20. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    couscous from scratch :eek: completely from scratch ?:eek: