I need a drink......... anyone want to join me???

Stresshead

Sep 13, 2014
Well it's Friday night and I'm sat in having frustrating groundhog day style conversations with my lovely dad with Alzheimers. Every days the same, at about 4.30pm he starts looking at his watch and announcing that he's off to bed. Every day I say sorry dad it's too early, why don't we have a cup of tea and watch (another) episode of Last of The Summer Wine. Every day this continues (with much elaborate yawning) until about 7pm when I finally back down and help him up to bed. Then I have the same conversations about why he has to take his clothes off and why he can't wear them to bed !! It's not that I'm being cruel but if I let him go to bed any earlier he would be up at about 4 or 5 in the morning meaning that we would have to get up too in case he fell etc.

It's been one of those weeks (which I know you've all had). Messy accidents in the bathroom and pooh trodden all around the house, an episode of projectile vomiting which saw my bathroom attractively pebble dashed !! Yet another infection brewing adding yet more confusion and a full on struggle this morning in the bathroom to get him to wash and shave which resulted in one of his eyebrows being shaved off !!! He did that not me before you think it was was my way of getting him back.

I almost can't remember what life was like before Alzheimers came to live with us but pray every night that God gives me strength and patience to deal with it whilst it resides with us.

In the meantime though........thank the Lord for wine. xx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Is the sun over the yardarm yet? So hard to tell when it's cloudy so I'll take that as a yes, Chardonnay time:)
K

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Definitely over yardarm here, il have a g&t even if it is cold and raining :D

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Yet another infection brewing adding yet more confusion and a full on struggle this morning in the bathroom to get him to wash and shave which resulted in one of his eyebrows being shaved off !!! He did that not me before you think it was was my way of getting him back.

I'm sorry, I don't want to be disrespectful but I laughed till I had tears in my eyes, particularly the part I bolded. I'm at work still so good job I'm alone today.

Flake

Mar 9, 2015
Im joining you in a drink - a nice fizzy one. Life chucks us rotten stuff and wine certainly helps and of course chocolate ! :D

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
No yardarm in my house, today has been very busy and stressful with family visits, so every cup of fresh coffee drank has had a little whisky in it. now I have given up on the coffee and just drinking the malt scotch. I've got a little red face - whisky not totally to blame, heating has been on since 3.30pm, but all mum's chatter is going right over my very hot head.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
It's filling up in here, ***brings in more wine and chocolate***;)

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Im joining you in a drink - a nice fizzy one. Life chucks us rotten stuff and wine certainly helps and of course chocolate ! :D

& ice cream. Or preferably wine, chocolate AND ice cream.

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Will join you shortly with a long, strong vodka and coke. I feel a drink helps, so why not. Cheers to you all. We will be meeting at the AA soon. xxx:)

Miss Merlot

Oct 15, 2012
My husband routinely plucks / shaves his own eyebrows off voluntarily - and he doesn't even have Alzheimers! At least, I don't think.

Trictillomania, babayyyy....

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Upset tummy all afternoon; water and bed.
This is some respite! But glad OH isn't here, that would make life difficult!!

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
Cheers! I had forgotten what life was like before carehome. Your situation rings very loud bells with me. constant battle every day. Good luck

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
No yardarm in my house, today has been very busy and stressful with family visits, so every cup of fresh coffee drank has had a little whisky in it. now I have given up on the coffee and just drinking the malt scotch. I've got a little red face - whisky not totally to blame, heating has been on since 3.30pm, but all mum's chatter is going right over my very hot head.

Nothing like a nice wee malt. Is it a Speyside?

I'm lucky. My lovely boy has been good today. He is mostly. Just sad we can't have a conversation.

We're on Sauvignon Blanc at the moment. We can still share that!

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
That's nice izzy you can still share though, you can chat to us and clink glasses there:D

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's nice izzy you can still share though, you can chat to us and clink glasses there:D

.... and I'm watching Masterchef so the food is good!!!

Bill is leafing through a furniture brochure. He must have plans for the house!:eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet