I don't want to live any more..

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
P

Hello Rageddy Anne my hubby has been taking Sertraline, for 3months, at first he was so much better, but now not so good, he is in the late stages of Alzheimers so can't expect too much now, hope your hubby responds to the medication ☺

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
AGREE Chick; it's the awareness that's so distressing to see, with so little comfort to offer. I tend to say to him it's a bad time of day and I'm sure he'll feel more positive later on.
THANKYOU Paman,I'll add Sertraline to my list! Currently we're trying Citralopram on its own, except for Aricept and Memantine. The GP stopped the Aricept but brought it back after my husband seemed much worse, and I think with this combination there's a slight improvement. Instead of waking and fretting about five times a night, he's sometimes sleeping for up to five hours. Makes such a difference for us both.

Last edited:

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Raggedy have you tried Rivastigmine? John was on Memantine but it made him confused and depressed and 2 years ago they changed it to the above and he is much better and more alert like it gave him a boost? Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Thankyou Chick...that's another one I'll ask about.

We're persevering with the Citalopram for the moment and the GP wants a phone consultation with me after two weeks...which will have to be an email because my husband is constantly at my side and sees anything I say as disloyalty if it points to failures.

I thought things were improving, but yesterday he was back to serious Sundowning early afternoon...having had several days of it starting later. I saw him take the tablet, but wonder if it was fully absorbed... Fingers crossed for today after a wakeful night.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
John was very confused yesterday too. His sundowning starts late afternoon early evening. Not everyday but quite a lot lately . Seems our husbands are quite similar . Rivastigmine has been good for John though he said he virtually noticed it straight away . Much love to you Anne xxxx

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
We had two days and nights of wakefulness and confusion, and yesterday I was so tired I was cross and snappy; poor husband! So last thing at bedtime I gave him two Paracetamol with his cocoa, and he slept soundly through the night. Not sure whether the Citalopram has made much difference, but Paracetamol certainly seems to help.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
We had two days and nights of wakefulness and confusion, and yesterday I was so tired I was cross and snappy; poor husband! So last thing at bedtime I gave him two Paracetamol with his cocoa, and he slept soundly through the night. Not sure whether the Citalopram has made much difference, but Paracetamol certainly seems to help.

Maybe I should try some paracetamol at night for John could do with a good night sleep xxx

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
I gave hubby paracetamol recently to ease some shoulder pain and also to help him sleep. It worked :)

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Carer fatigue

Yesterday, after a disturbed night without Paracetamol, I was woken at five and shaken awake again several times until I gave up. So I was tired when I'd sorted out our respective tablets, and distracted by urgent requests when I put them out with our tea and biscuits. THEN, TO MY IMMEDIATE HORROR I REALISED I HAD JUST TAKEN MY HUSBAND'S! It now includes Citralopam, and he had a slight reaction to his first dose but was OK after that. My reaction was dramatic...diarrhoea and vomiting, horrible.
My guardian angel must have been hovering, because it was the one day in the week that we have a couple come in to clean and do the garden. She phoned my daughter in law who came immediately, and took my husband home with her, and is keeping him with her for a couple of nights.

24 hours later I'm over that but still feel weak and wobbly, and it made me realise how important it is to take care of yourself when someone with Dementia depends on you. So I'm going to try even harder to find some respite, and it might be that he'll dislike it, but perhaps it is necessary.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Yesterday, after a disturbed night without Paracetamol, I was woken at five and shaken awake again several times until I gave up. So I was tired when I'd sorted out our respective tablets, and distracted by urgent requests when I put them out with our tea and biscuits. THEN, TO MY IMMEDIATE HORROR I REALISED I HAD JUST TAKEN MY HUSBAND'S! It now includes Citralopam, and he had a slight reaction to his first dose but was OK after that. My reaction was dramatic...diarrhoea and vomiting, horrible.
My guardian angel must have been hovering, because it was the one day in the week that we have a couple come in to clean and do the garden. She phoned my daughter in law who came immediately, and took my husband home with her, and is keeping him with her for a couple of nights.

24 hours later I'm over that but still feel weak and wobbly, and it made me realise how important it is to take care of yourself when someone with Dementia depends on you. So I'm going to try even harder to find some respite, and it might be that he'll dislike it, but perhaps it is necessary.

Oh raggedy how awful and frightening it must have been, gosh !!!! Are you sure you are ok?! Maybe you should check with GP to be on the safe side. Xxxxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Goodness Anne. What a fright you must have got. Thank goodness help was at hand. I hope you can get some regular respite sorted out.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It just shows how exhausted you are Anne. Please take it as a warning. This mistake should be as bad as it gets.

Your husband may dislike respite care but then again you may be surprised. Whatever, it is the lesser of two evils.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Oh Anne that's awful for you. I agree with others... and you... That respite is needed isn't it. xxxxx

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh raggedy how awful and frightening it must have been, gosh !!!! Are you sure you are ok?! Maybe you should check with GP to be on the safe side. Xxxxxx

Thank you. I'm just a bit wobbly now, need to eat.
I rang our pharmacy and left a message before they opened. They rang back quickly and reassured me it would work its way out of my system and wasn't serious. I think that was quicker than asking for a GP phone appointment. Ten out of ten for pharmacists.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thank you. I'm just a bit wobbly now, need to eat.
I rang our pharmacy and left a message before they opened. They rang back quickly and reassured me it would work its way out of my system and wasn't serious. I think that was quicker than asking for a GP phone appointment. Ten out of ten for pharmacists.

Phew so glad Anne it could have been oh so different ! Pharmacists are great ours is really good too and knows us really well. Take it easy today and have a good rest until it worked itself through. Hugs xxxxx

Alan19531953

Jun 16, 2015
Antidepressants?

Sertraline (antidepressant) seems to have helped my wife a lot, in conjunction with all the other stuff.

technotronic

Jun 14, 2014
Sorry to hear that RA, n know how heartbreaking it can be when they say do that, my wife has said that quite a few times recently, in the evenings when she gets very low.
It leaves me feeling shocked n lost for words when she says it, but with some words of comfort and a few loving hugs her mood changes suddenly, she brightens up n she seems to forget all about it.
I can understand why they do say it, with their feelings of despair and feeling lost in their own world most of the time, that they just want it to end.

My thoughts go out to you.