1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

I don't want to live any more..

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Rageddy Anne, May 15, 2015.

1. Rageddy Anne

Rageddy Anne Registered User

Feb 21, 2013
    Cotswolds
    My poor husband has borne this wretched disease so bravely, with his poor head getting increasingly muddled. He's had Aricept, now Memantine, and we'll never know if they helped. Every day, as the sun starts to go down, his worry and agitation increases, and today he just couldn't cope. That's when he said " I don't want to live my more". This is a good man who has worked hard and successfully, helping others and never asking for anything for himself. And now he's reduced to wishing this was the end of it all.

We will soldier on, of course. But I hope there'll be a discovery one day that'll stop this particular disease.

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Oh Anne. The poor soul. Poor you too as there's nothing else for it but to soldier on. Thinking of you both. X

3. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Oh Anne I'm so sorry for you both.
    Sending love & hugs xx

4. truth24

truth24 Registered User

Oct 13, 2013
    North Somerset
    My heart goes out to you both.Wish I could offer you both some comfort. xx

5. Essie

Essie Registered User

Feb 11, 2015
    Sending you heartfelt sympathy and huge hugs Anne and here's to the day, and it can't come quickly enough, when none of us, our LO's or ourselves, need to suffer any more with this truly dreadful disease.

6. pamann

pamann Registered User

Oct 28, 2013
    Kent
    Hello Rageddyann just gone online, l have had a bad day much the same as you, how do we cope with this terrible disease l do not know, l know how you feel, it is so stressful for us, my hubby was a very successful business man, we have had a wonderful life, until Mr. Alzheimers came along!!!! I am sure you understand, thinking of you, keep on caring

7. pamann

pamann Registered User

Oct 28, 2013
    Kent
    Just read your post about your hubby golf clubs, my hubby was a kneen golfer, his golf clubs are still in our garage, will never get rid of them, he sometimes looks innhis garage, but doesn't recognise them, l feel so sad.

8. mabbs

mabbs Registered User

Dec 1, 2014
    Lancashire
    must be so hard for you anne, I am thinking of you, I guess one day they will come up with a cure, it cant be too soon. sending hugs and well wishes xx

9. chick1962

chick1962 Registered User

Apr 3, 2014
    Female
    near Folkestone
    Oh Anne only just saw this ! My heart goes out to you . Xxxxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

10. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    Such a sad thread Anne, but you were right to post. It helps to share even the saddest experiences and there's no better place to do it than TP. I hope you can feel the empathy.

11. CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl Registered User

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    Oh RA, i'm so sorry. What a heartbreaking thing to hear your lovely husband say. Thinking of you both as you soldier on xx

12. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I'm so sorry Anne for both you and your husband. It's not the way any of us imagined our lives would be .

13. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    (((Hugs))) Anne, I'm with you, in a very similar situation. I hate it. Every time I see OH, I try and see the man he was...the great times we had...it's heartbreaking for us all...

14. maryw

maryw Registered User

Nov 16, 2008
    Surrey
    So sorry Anne. I understand your sadness. Life doesn't work out as planned and sometimes that is the biggest shock of all xx

15. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    Oh Anne , I'm so sorry xxxxxx

16. Dazmum

Dazmum Registered User

I'm so sorry Anne, it must break your heart to hear him say that. I wish I could say something helpful, but I just send a hug for you both xxx

17. Chuggalug

Chuggalug Registered User

Mar 24, 2014
    Norfolk
    I just want to wrap my arms around the pair of you.

18. Tinkerbelle258

Tinkerbelle258 Registered User

Nov 13, 2012
    N E Lincolnshire
    Oh Anne, I know exactly how you feel. Every morning when I shower and dress my husband we sit on the bed while I put his trousers on. Every morning he looks me in the eye and says 'I want to die'. I know what he's asking but I make light of it and focus on the day ahead. We carry on as best we can. Stay strong. xx

19. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    So sorry Anne, that must have been such a shock to hear xx.

20. Feline

Feline Registered User

Oct 25, 2012
    East Devon
    Oh RA I'm so sorry to see your post and I'm sending hugs, You haven't said if your husband takes anything for agitation, perhaps your GP could prescribe a medication e.g. Citalapram.
    Take care while soldiering on.