I can't do this............

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well that looks promising doesn`t it. As long as you feel reassured the best is being done for John, you know you have no battle in that area.

Fingers crossed.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
He's so much better tonight. Has been sitting out all afternoon, no sign of loss of balance. Ate a full meal, then wanted to get up to clear the tray away!

If he's as good as this tomorrow, I hope they'll try to get him walking. He looked as if he could.

I can't believe the difference, I hope it continues.

Thanks so much for all the support.

Love,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
That is good news Hazel. Now for goodness sake try to get a good nights sleep tonight.

Love

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Hazel, I'm really pleased to hear things look a little rosier today. Fingers crossed for another promising day tomorrow.Thinking of you both, Love Deborah xx

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Hazel
So pleased to hear this........now.....strike while the iron's hot and get some rest!!! You might be forgiven to have a little treat tonight;)

Love xx

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Hazel

Mum has recovered rapidly at times as well from UTIs. I have seen her go from death's door (Call from GP to go down!), improve, slide down hill. I then cleared our her clothes to make a little more space so that we could shift a wardrobe as the home deputy and I were both convinced after 2 months of this that she would never be out of a nightdress again and wanted to put as much space in room and make it as light and airy as possible, thinking she would be in bed for the rest of her life (which was to measure in weeks).

The very next day, after 2 months in bed, she got up. The following day she got dressed (I had left 1 wardrobe of clothes...my Mum likes her clothes shopping!!!) and within 2 weeks had recommenced walking by herself, succeeding in terrifying all the carers. After discussion we took the risk and let her walk. That was a year ago!!

With Mum, when she gets a UTI it is a real rollercoaster ride. But never give up hope. If they really want to get well they do!

Hope you get a sustained improvement.

Love

Mameeskye

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thank you Mameeskye, that's exactly what seems to be happening with John. The improvement yesterday was astonishing. I'm almost afraid to go in today, in case he's slipped back.

Thanks everyone for the support. You are a wonderful lot!:)

Love,

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Hi Hazel.
My fingers are X'd for you and John, and that you will get him home again.
I keep hoping the same will happen to my husband but its beginning to look like its not going to happen.
Just for information i found this out :-
Essentilly nursing homes have been devoloped to provide a home for patients who need 24hr nursing care, but do not need acute medical care. The skills needed for this type of nursing are likely to be very different from those needed for continuing medical and nursing care.
I would ask for a guarantee that if he went into the NH he would not be rushed back due to needing medical care. NH will also not take aggresive patients.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Action needed!

I've just read through this thread, and despite my own problems with my mother, I haven't experienced anything like the rest of you with your loved ones. I only glanced at Brucie's message but I think he was implying that the powers that be have not a bloody clue what carers are going through, and it's not just carers of Dementia sufferers, its carers of the elderly in general, people with arthritis, MS, Motor Neurone Disease, depression etc. etc. They are all unpaid, untrained, unsupported, ignored, carers of family members. Yes, there are some brilliant charities out there who help, but it is not enough.

I will write to my MP about this. He is not the most responsive of MPs, so I might try a couple more that I have contacted in the past, and why not Gordon Brown? Well, he did a lot for people with children once he had children, perhaps he has a few elderly parents/parents in law for whom he might like to do the same, i.e. take notice

I am just stunned at the work that some people are doing for their relatives with relatively little support, and are totally ignored by the government cos the just keep doing it.

Hope we can move something on. I am no campaigner, hope there is someone out there who is in the market for a campaign. Not sure how to initiate that. Hope someone reading this thread will take up the challenge. The elderly in the country are getting more elderly and more of us are going to be among them before long, so maybe we should do something now.

Love

Margaret

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
I am just stunned at the work that some people are doing for .....
Understandable Margaret, do hope you can get a campaign going.

How were things today Hazel ?

Have everything crossed for you and John.

Love to you both

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thank you Cliff. Things are not good. After a good day on Friday, John has deteriorated again, and is not eating. Also, he wants to come home. Understandable, but I feel so depressed about him.

I think he may be transferred to the NH this week, and I'm coming round to the idea. The hospital has been so short-staffed this weekend, I think he may be better off in the NH. But he'll be so miserable.

It's all happened so suddenly, he was supposed to be going in just for respite, and now, who knows?

Life's a bitch.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hazel,

I'm so sorry John's recovery has slowed down.

Nothing constructive to say, just remember Norman's 'day by day'. And sending you big ((((hugs)))).