I am at breakdown today

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
I hope you are sleeping now, Helen, and that Alan responds quickly to the antibiotics.

It`s times like this when I really do wish we all lived in a commune.
...Me too, Sylvia.

Thinking of you, Helen.

Love xx

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
So glad the doctor eventually came and you got Alans medicine, the AB will soon kick in and hopefully Alan will be back to his old self, but will you? I hope you get time to really think about your own needs whilst you are quietly nursing Alan. My thoughts are with you.

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Helen my love,only just seen your post, hope you are having some sleep and Alan is more stable, is it poss that Alan could have had a siezure, symptoms sound so similar to trev, when his mobility went over night, lets hope it is a uti which can be controlled,I too wish we all lived in a commune where we could give the support and love to each other, but hope our virtual thoughts lift your spirits, keep us updated when you are able, love pam

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
Hello Helen, So glad you are resting, hope you stay in bed as long as you can.

I too wish we all lived in a commune where we could give the support and love to each other.

This is just such a good idea, I wonder why nobody have thought about that. You could have one or two in each county, so people would not have to move too far. It could be like the homes with a warden, only you would be supported by the other carers as well. Just think how much less stress you would feel, if you knew you had a fellow carer who could pop in in an emergency.
All the homes wuld be purpose built with all the equipment required already. Wet rooms, electric beds, the lot. Sounds a dream, but it could be done at a price. Dream on. Sorry Helen I got carried away

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
I have never taken part in the lottery, but i might just do that this week, to be able to build a place as you describe with every one supporting each other, sounds like a very cost effective solution, well i can dream cant i. love pam

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
There has been no chance of any rest

Alan is really poorly. My d-i-law rang to ask what she could do to help and I said there was so much to do and to think about that I had no idea what would help. In the end I asked her to find me a solicitor with regard to the electrician so that I could get that off my mind. She did. An appointment with a good local firm of solicitors at 1.15 pm today. The GP was going to come around a similar time:rolleyes: She sat with Alan and waited for the GP armed with my information and instructions and I went off to see the solicitor. He was marvellous. In short he will respond instead of me and that is all that it 'should' take.

When I got back the GP had only just arrived. I asked my d-i-law to stay in the consultation because I can't remember things and she could act as my memory. I told the GP that I know something is wrong with Alan's chest and that it might not be serious but I was certain even though thorough examinations were showing up nothing wrong. She said he did have a problem at the bottom of one lung and that he did need an x-ray. She was surprised when I told her that the doctor last night said that his chest was clear!!! He also needs antibiotics for that as well. He is not well enough at the moment to go for an X-ray but he might be better able to go in the next week.

Then the GP wanted to talk to me downstairs and I asked my d-i-law to stay. I told the GP that I was really needing someone to understand that there were two issues involved - me and Alan!! I found myself telling the GP that I was finding it especially hard to cope because I often thought I had symptoms of Alzheimers myself. I told her some of the symptoms and she said that she wanted to do a memory test with me at the surgery but not at the moment as I was clearly under far too much stress. She wrote everything down for me and she listened and treated me very well indeed. I said I was afraid of taking up too much time and she reassured me that it was ok.

My d-i-law had to go and I was then left with a prescription that needed taking to the chemist and I urgently need a baby monitor so that I can detect whether Alan is trying to get up. I can't use pressure mats because I can't hear round corners and I need something right next to me. I rang Crossroads for an emergency sit so that I could do what I needed but they have an answer phone on and no one has called me back.

I rang my granddaughter and she is coming to sit whilst I go off.

I tried getting a District Nurse and it all seems such a hassle and a shambles. I am now finding myself getting shirty with these people and it is not their fault. It is because of the stress.

Now my mind has gone blank but I'm glad that I've managed to let you know events this far.

Love

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Helen . no wonder you are stressed, hope you can get Alans chest sorted, the only time i am 'shirty' is when at breaking point, i would not worry, people who matter will understand, and those that dont , dont matter,These outside situations ie electrician can just push us over the limit, hope this week you can feel in control again, i think this fear of everything snowballing just makes us panic, Margarita has just posted a quote from Mother Teresa, '' God only gives us what he thinks we can cope with, just wish he did not have so much faith in me'' that really struck a chord with me, perhaps it will with you too, hope you manage some sleep. love pam

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Helen,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how things are.

You have such a lot going on just now it's no wonder you're stressed...and I'm so glad that the GP has been so supportive.

Re pressure mats..you can have the alarm beside you. The alarm for Eric's pressure mat sits in my bedroom on my dressing table.
But you wouldn't get one as quickly as you can get a Baby Monitor.

I'm sorry it's so difficult for you to get the DNs to come out...and surprised that the GP hasn't requested this for you..:(

I hope and pray that Alan starts to improve soon and you have a well earned rest tonight.

Love and huge hugs winging their way to you.

Love xx

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
I really hope the AB kicks in quickly so you can have some real peace of mind. I know you will worry until you get the results from the Xray after it has been done.Just a little gentle warning though please prepare yourself because sometimes we are no better off because we have a diagnoses, the treatment required may not be possible as in my husband's case. I don't want to be negative, but sometimes this can be the case and the doctor will then guide you to the best possible solution. You have a lot to think about at present and in general but try to concentrate on the now and endeavour for you and Alan to rest as much as possible. You both need it.
Lots and lots of hugs and best wishes.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Helen:

Here is another one thinking about you and hoping things are reasonable for you. Hope the medication works quickly and you can get some rest.

I am sure your memory problems are to do with too much stress, too many things to think about and extreme tiredness.

When life has a regular pattern again (and it WILL) you will feel better yourself. Remember to focus on that respite weekend you have planned for yourself :)

Love Jan

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
i am just catching up here helen and cant believe how thimgs have been for you, you need a rest and you need it now. get an ambulance and have allan assesed in a and e, his chest might not be that bad now but if his mobility is gone it could get worse much quicker, he made need intravenous fluids and ab.you need a bit of respite and have allan looked after for you so you can recharge and get on too ss or whoever you need. i can assure you people go to hospital for far trivial things, and allan will be treated as urgent. hope i havnt gone on too much but its because i care for you and cant bear you suffering like this. much love xxx

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Helen, Hope Alan is a bit better, I can't believe how fast all of this has happend, no wonder you are stressed.Wish I stayed close by.xxx

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
helen so sorry to hear what a rough time you are having i agree with jan its probably all the stress and worry you are going through that's making you forget things i know it happens with me. as was mentioned in a earlier thread would en it be great if we all lived close by would we have fun on good days:D and there will be good days helen even though its hard to believe it at the moment. one of us needs to win the lottery i will try hard hope you have a peaceful night sending a big hug love larivy

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Dear Helen

I've not been on TP much lately and was so sorry to read of your problems with Alan.

Infections can be devastating for people with dementia. This time last year my dad had a bad chest infection and we went through a really bad time. He recovered with the help of antibiotics and I hope they do the trick for Alan.

Sending you huge (((HUGS))).

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I will never forget how you have all helped to get me through this terrible patch especially as it is a significant holiday period and services are not available.

Alan is improving:) He had one major period of high temperature today but paracetamol did the trick. He has been able to walk to the toilet and has not wet the incontinence pants at all. The GP and my d-i-law say he is very ill but there is a very significant improvement which I can see. Alan is smiling and his eyes have some sparkle to them again.

It has been such a busy, busy day but it has been productive and you have helped me to gather some strength for tomorrow.

I am really looking forward to the respite weekend at the end of January and I will make the most of it:)

Love and a very big 'thank you' to you all.

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
So glad to hear things are improving Helen peace and rest is what Alan needs now, as they say sleep is the best healer. You too need some, so have an early night and try to get some peace yourself. Hopefully tomorrow will prove to be even better. Warm thoughts and hugs

bigtom

Sep 19, 2009
bolton lancs
Hi,Helen glad to read alan is better, i hope you are feeling better to after all the stress you have had sending love and a big ((((HUG))) to you and alan:)from tom and sylvia;)