Husband not knowing who I am for the first time

NannyRos

Oct 30, 2023
My OH came into the lounge and asked where I was. I said i'm here, but he just kept calling my name and asking me where I had gone. This was a first for OH and its so upsetting. This morning he is back to ''normal' . Wondering if this is the beginning of something or just a one off.

Pollywobble

Nov 13, 2023
Sending you a virtual hug. It's distressing isn't it? This happened before my man was diagnosed. He asked, one morning, where his wife was and said she should be here by now. I wanted to cry. I was soon able to reassure him that it was me. Its happened occasionally since, but he now laughs, as soon as he realises. He is now in a Care Home and looks thrilled to see me, even when he forgets my name or who I am. I hope things work out for you too. 🙏

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I've been everyone, wife's brother, dad, neighbour and sometimes a stranger and told to get our of her house before her husband (me) got home.
My mum used to call me by one of my brother's names sometimes I never tried to correct at the time, go with the flow, fight all the battles you want but you will lose the war.
Dementia doesn't take any prisoners and us carers are just collateral damage. K

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
It is a shock. My husband asked me, when I took him a cup of tea in bed, “Have you seen …….(me) this morning?”. I didn’t take it any further and he has not so far said it again.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
The first time it happens it comes as a shock and it's upsetting. I find it easier by thinking "dementia's forgotten me not Mum".

Your husband may have time-hopped back many years so was looking for a much younger version of you.

NannyRos

Oct 30, 2023
Sending you a virtual hug. It's distressing isn't it? This happened before my man was diagnosed. He asked, one morning, where his wife was and said she should be here by now. I wanted to cry. I was soon able to reassure him that it was me. Its happened occasionally since, but he now laughs, as soon as he realises. He is now in a Care Home and looks thrilled to see me, even when he forgets my name or who I am. I hope things work out for you too. 🙏

NannyRos

Oct 30, 2023
Thank you all for your kind replies, its so good to hear that others have had similar. If it happens again I will just go along with it. Maybe as someone said he expected to see a younger version of me and didn't recognise me at 74 !!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @NannyRos

I have a tale to tell that I think encapsulates this complex issue.

About 2yrs ago I drove, with my wife, to the GP's to pick up her scripts. We were then on the way to the pharmacy when this conversation arose, my wife spoke first:

Do you know something?

I know a lot of things, whats on your mind?

This will change things. (that got me interested!)

Oh, what are you thinking about?

Are you married?

Yes.

(my wife burst into tears)

What's wrong M?

I wanted to marry you!

The fact is that when names/relationships are forgotten the feelings often remain. It was nice that my wife still had her moral code and still wanted to marry me.

I love telling people that tale.

NannyRos

Oct 30, 2023
I've been everyone, wife's brother, dad, neighbour and sometimes a stranger and told to get our of her house before her husband (me) got home.
My mum used to call me by one of my brother's names sometimes I never tried to correct at the time, go with the flow, fight all the battles you want but you will lose the war.
Dementia doesn't take any prisoners and us carers are just collateral damage. K
Hello @NannyRos

About 2yrs ago I drove, with my wife, to the GP's to pick up her scripts. We were then on the way to the pharmacy when this conversation arose, my wife spoke first:

Do you know something?

Are you married?

Yes.

What's wrong M?

I wanted to marry you!

The fact is that when names/relationships are forgotten the feelings often remain. It was nice that my wife still had her moral code and still wanted to marry me.

That's a great story x

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Thank you all for your kind replies, its so good to hear that others have had similar. If it happens again I will just go along with it. Maybe as someone said he expected to see a younger version of me and didn't recognise me at 74 !!

I think there is something in that! A few years ago, when I was visited my mother in the care home, I realised she wasn't sure who I was. After a while she said "you look just like my mother!" Thanks mum! Obviously I couldn't be her daughter, I was far too old!

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
Hello @NannyRos

Do you know something?

Are you married?

Yes.

What's wrong M?

I wanted to marry you!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I think the explanation that our pwd think we are younger than we are is correct.

My OH doesn't recognise himself in the mirror either. He calls the " old man " his friend and complains to him that I'm mean because I don't let him go to see his mum and dad. His parents are long gone x

NickP

Feb 23, 2021
Your posts reminded me of when my dad was looking at his & mum's wedding photo - "Oh look, that's me!" he said.
"Do you know what happened to the lady?" And pointed at my mum in the picture.
She told him it was her and he looked at her and said, "Don't be ridiculous - it looks nothing like you!"
Well it had been 50 years. Luckily mum could see the funny side.
It's so hard when they forget you.

NannyRos

Oct 30, 2023
I think there is something in that! A few years ago, when I was visited my mother in the care home, I realised she wasn't sure who I was. After a while she said "you look just like my mother!" Thanks mum! Obviously I couldn't be her daughter, I was far too old!
I think that I look just like my mother !

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
@NannyRos on a care home visit to Mum, she was told that her daughter was waiting to see her. She knew she had a daughter and could name me but when she saw me, there wasn't the slightest bit of recognition. After a while I asked her age; well that day she was 40 so she was looking for a daughter in her early teens. I have a numerous grey hairs, wrinkles and a BUS PASS!
Fast forward 2 years and even now, she's been known to call me by name.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @NannyRos
I think the lack of recognition of a partner/spouse, member of the family, etc is v common at some stage even though the PWD may remember names.
We're 7 years down the road. There was time when my OH remembers my name and still does, but then started calling everyone by than name. Then there are times when the PWD regresses and sees themselves as they were 30 or 40 years ago and thus when that happens and she looks at me now, I'm obviously to her too old to be her husband and thus, to her I must be her dad; or our daughter now in her 50's is too old to be her daughter, as in her mind her daughter is at school or uni, thus this woman must be her sister, etc - but these episodes were are sporadic and she does return to normality.
Once my Oh looked at me and said "Aren't you someone I used to like?" (that's a relief I might have been someone she didn't like)
Try not to get too upset. It's the illness talking. My other half does call my name and quite often associates it with me!
Best wishes