How long now?

Christabella

Sep 10, 2023
My husband is now refusing all food, and is forgetting how to swallow. What a brutal disease 😒
Wondering how long my dear one can last... he's on palliative care, much loved and looked after; but it can't be too long before his poor body gives up the supreme effort of survival?

Wicky

Jun 5, 2024
So sorry to hear about your husband. You are correct-this is a brutal, unforgiving disease that just keeps taking.
As has been said already nobody knows how long this will take-it differs from person to person. However my dad lost his brave fight on Tuesday and into his fourth day without food or drink. What a fighter he was-92 riddled with dementia and pneumonia, atrial fibrillation, battered by this horror for last 4 years but somehow he kept going. A fit, healthy person wouldn’t be far behind at 4 days.
As horrible as it was to watch and so sad to lose this lovely man, it was a relief when he finally slipped peacefully away and dementia could hurt him no more.
Wish you strength and send you loving thoughts to get through this difficult time

Christabella

Sep 10, 2023
So sorry to hear about your husband. You are correct-this is a brutal, unforgiving disease that just keeps taking.
As has been said already nobody knows how long this will take-it differs from person to person. However my dad lost his brave fight on Tuesday and into his fourth day without food or drink. What a fighter he was-92 riddled with dementia and pneumonia, atrial fibrillation, battered by this horror for last 4 years but somehow he kept going. A fit, healthy person wouldn’t be far behind at 4 days.
As horrible as it was to watch and so sad to lose this lovely man, it was a relief when he finally slipped peacefully away and dementia could hurt him no more.
Wish you strength and send you loving thoughts to get through this difficult time
Thankyou Wicky, and much love xx

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @Wicky
Condolences to you and your family for your sad loss. Your dad is at peace.
Even when expected, the end is still a shock when it occurs.
Grief is the price of love.
Best wishes.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to read about your husband. It’s a heartbreaking situation and one I have been in myself. All you can do is be with your husband as much as you can, keep speaking to him and hold his hand. There’s no saying how long it will last.

I’m glad you shared here. Connecting on this forum helped me so much when I was in your position. I hope it will help you too. Wishing you strength and wishing your husband peace.

Wicky

Jun 5, 2024
Hi @Wicky
Condolences to you and your family for your sad loss. Your dad is at peace.
Even when expected, the end is still a shock when it occurs.
Grief is the price of love.
Best wishes.
Thant you Chizz for your kind words.
Yes even though we knew the end was coming and that Dad would be out of pain, it was still a shock and incredibly upsetting. The saying ‘those we love the most hurt us the most’ is true but as you say is the price of loving someone so much.
I don’t know what I would have done without this forum-it has been a massive source of support and comfort. I hope I can now help others even if in some tiny little way through this terrible disease and the tough time at the end.

Wicky

Jun 5, 2024
I’m so sorry to read about your husband. It’s a heartbreaking situation and one I have been in myself. All you can do is be with your husband as much as you can, keep speaking to him and hold his hand. There’s no saying how long it will last.

I’m glad you shared here. Connecting on this forum helped me so much when I was in your position. I hope it will help you too. Wishing you strength and wishing your husband peace.
👍

MowgliGirl02

Feb 20, 2022
My wonderful mother died on the 7th day of no food or water. It truly is horrible to witness, and oh how I wish she didn’t have to suffer like she did. It truly takes its toll on everyone involved, and I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy.
My heart goes with you during this time. ❤️
Always remember you are never alone.

Wicky

Jun 5, 2024
Ill sec
My wonderful mother died on the 7th day of no food or water. It truly is horrible to witness, and oh how I wish she didn’t have to suffer like she did. It truly takes its toll on everyone involved, and I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy.
I’ll second that…

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
V sorry to read your post @MowgliGirl02
Yes it's a really awful illness for all concerned.
Your mum is now at peace.
Your memories of her in good times will stay with you as a comfort.
I send a virtual hug

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
My heart goes out to you - as you say it really does take it's toll on everyone involved. Just so cruel, I had the same experience with my dear Mum. This forum has been an invaluable source of support and comfort before and after her passing almost two years ago now.

Becs73

Jun 29, 2016
Sorry to everyone going through this, it is just so cruel. My dad has FTD, and has been fighting for the last 8 years, he has been struggling with swallowing and secretions, today after an episode of coffee ground vomit, which basically means he is bleeding somewhere. We started him on eol medication. It has been so horrible to watch him suffer , so much he seemed distressed and was trying to sit up in bed,( he has been bed bound the last two years) I feel numb , who knows how long this will go on for. I just want him to drift away 😔 x

littleblue05

Jul 13, 2022
Sorry to everyone going through this, it is just so cruel. My dad has FTD, and has been fighting for the last 8 years, he has been struggling with swallowing and secretions, today after an episode of coffee ground vomit, which basically means he is bleeding somewhere. We started him on eol medication. It has been so horrible to watch him suffer , so much he seemed distressed and was trying to sit up in bed,( he has been bed bound the last two years) I feel numb , who knows how long this will go on for. I just want him to drift away 😔 x
Thinking of you 💕 xx

Christabella

Sep 10, 2023
Update
My dear husband passed away at dawn today. The end was peaceful; he was so tranquil and calm, and we his whole family were by his side.
So glad his passing was gentle; but lord the grief is almost unbearable

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I so very sorry for you loss @Christabella. I’m glad the end was peaceful and you were all by his side.

Please keep posting here. You’re amongst those who understand and you’ll find continued support.

Wishing you strength at this hardest of times.

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
I'm really sorry to hear your sad news @Christabella but glad that it was peaceful and amongst family.
Wishing you strength and peace for the upcoming days and weeks.
Take care
S x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul dennison