How long is Power of Attorney REALLY taking to process?

CraftyKat

Feb 11, 2024
Hi I am waiting for POA to be registered for my brother. On the Gov. Website, it says it takes 22 weeks. I am at that now, and no sign of it although I had several communications some time ago, indicating that it is going through. Does anyone have recent experience of how long it is really taking? I feel stifled as I cannot help my brother who is getting into a mess with paying his bills.

McSuffolk

Feb 12, 2023
Hi there, this time last year
I was advised 20 weeks and it took at least that long, if not a couple of weeks more. Hopefully you wont have long to wait now.

DawnR

Sep 14, 2022
Northumberland
Hello @KraftyKat I applied mid November and I received a letter on Friday stating if no objections were received in the next couple of weeks, the POA would be issued within 28 days after that.
That’s about 19 weeks in all.
Hopefully you will hear back very shortly.

bluebell83

Jan 22, 2024
We applied beginning of January and starting to get worried now incase we get a confirmed diagnosis before it's processed and then don't know where we stand if that actually happens.

bluebell83

Jan 22, 2024
Thanks, that's reassuring. There is so much to take on board and we've (as a family) just realised there isn't a will that we know of,

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Wills still can be made but it does require a solicitor to make some sort of declaration that they have capacity for that - a diagnosis doesnt rule it out automatically. Mum had made hers but I think others here have done them post diagnosis.

bluebell83

Jan 22, 2024
Thanks for this. Getting in touch with a solicitor today so hoping to get the ball rolling with that.

JSM

Jun 12, 2022
I’d recommend phoning them if the expected time has passed. My LO’s LPA was lost at the OPG and they had to send an office copy!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Thanks, that's reassuring. There is so much to take on board and we've (as a family) just realised there isn't a will that we know of,
The technical phrase you need to look at is "dying intestate" i.e. without a legal will in place, lodged with a solicitor or whatever, as long as it is witnessed correctly could right on the back of a cigarette package, helps if the witnesses are not also benefices UK laws vary.L aws do vary between parts of the UK.
K

KraftyKat

Jan 22, 2020
Hello @KraftyKat I applied mid November and I received a letter on Friday stating if no objections were received in the next couple of weeks, the POA would be issued within 28 days after that.
That’s about 19 weeks in all.
Hopefully you will hear back very shortly.
Hi DawnR, I think you’ve tagged the wrong person in your reply. 😊