How is personal allowance paid if LA funded in a care home, and what happens to any money mum has without LPA

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Thanks @Lynmax x
I think it was and may still be but not sure exactly. The hospital SW said mums CH place during assessment process would be funded by covid fund as during covid it was preffered to get patients out of hospital for assessment instead of doing it in hospital. Then she said that covid funding ended on 31st August so after that mum would switch to client contribution via SS. Yesterday she rang my sister and said mums place will continue to be funded by NHS and a meeting will be held in a few weeks to decide if they will continue funding it. On mums Resident agreement form I got to sign from the CH yesterday it said mums fee is paid by CCG (funded nursing care) currently. So I'm not sure if the fund has been extended after 31st of August as covid is still ongoing as hospital SW didn't go in to details with sis on phone but said the NHS are continuing to pay for it at the moment.
I've filled in the personal allowance contract and sent a £100 cx deposit with it back to the home which I expect might last a while at the moment as like you say there won't be a lot to spend it on at moment.

At the Best Interest meeting held with the hospital social worker several weeks ago, she said that her manager was expecting the fund to end soon but that we did not need to do anything until SS wrote to us with a final date so we could sort out payments direct to the care home. Mum will be self funding and I did have to send in some bank statements to show that she had sufficient funds.

Interestingly, Mum was initially offered a place at a care home miles from where we live, we looked online and spoke to the manager and realised that all the residents there were paid by the LA at a basic rate, £650 per week. Although the home looked fine, I thought I would try some homes local to me to see if they were accepting new residents. The one recommended by several people were willing to take her but as they charged over twice the LA amountwe expected that Mum would have to pay the difference. After a SS management meeting, we got a phone call saying Mum would be fully funded at the home of our choice! In fact, the fund were prepared to pay £1400 per week when actual fees were £995 a week - to cover any additional costs that Mum might need. As this was at the end of April when everyone was panicking about hospital beds and discharges to care homes, I think it was a "bribe" to get care homes to take new residents - Mum did have to have a negative Covid test and go into isolation for two weeks.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @annielou, glad things are gradually coming together. I had to phone the DWP a couple of times recently. Put your phone on speaker and get on with something else while you wait as they are busy and you might have to wait a while. They were very good when I did get through to them though.
The finance person at mum's home sends a statement out every month so I can see when mum's float needs topping up. They appear to be having a few outsiders back. There was a bill for chiropody in July and for the hairdresser in August.
As for you feeling bad about your mum being in the home while you are carrying on with your normal life, I was wondering if you could killed two birds with one stone and do something 'crafty' for your mum. I'm a knitter and if I'm knitting something for someone I think about the person while I'm doing it and try and knit good wishes into the garment. Sounds a bit bonkers, but it does make you feel close to the person.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I'm a knitter and if I'm knitting something for someone I think about the person while I'm doing it and try and knit good wishes into the garment.
I thought I was the only person who did that!
Yes, Andrea, doing something for your mum sounds like a good idea.
I knitted mum a fiddle rug to go over her knees and keep her warm, with lots of things to look at and fiddle with knitted into it.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Thanks @Lynmax @Sarasa @canary xxx
It's good your mum got to go straight to home you wanted her to @Lynmax X , At first hospital told us mum would be placed wherever suitable that had a place and was cheapest so they couldn't guarantee the home we'd been thinking of mum going to. We told them it did have a place free and accepted LA funded residents with no top ups so she said that would help and she'd try for that. Mums SW also rang hospital and said she really didn't want to move mum after assessment procedure to different home and luckily that's where mum has gone from hospital.
Good to hear some of services are stating to come back to CHs, not sure if they have yet at one where mum is as she's still in isolation so not able to use anything like that yet. I think maybe not yet as they said they are being very careful and not allowing anyone in the home yet but hopefully they'll follow others soon.
Mum and I are both knitters and I sew too but we don't really knit for ourselves or use home made items for anything. We usually do charity knits like baby blankets, although mum is struggling to follow knitting patterns now so doesn't get far with hers. We knitted scarves last year so she has a few and won't really need them so not sure what I could make her she'd want. It's a nice idea though so maybe when I'm feeling crafty again I might think of something to make her later. xx

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Just a pretty washable throw to go on her bed or chair would be useful and help make her room her own. The Banjoman had a leopard print throw that I had given him, now I have it on my settee.