How do you know that its time to move someone to 24 hour care?

Supermumpicnic

Jul 23, 2023
Me and my Husband support his mum. She is 92 years old and was 'officially' diagnosed with dementia in January 2023. She lives in an apartment in an elderly persons block and has 2 x half hour visits a day. This is to provide support with being ready for the day, medication and meals. But every day is a new challenge. Her concentration is poor, her memory retention is less than 10 minutes and her previous memories are from less than 2 weeks ago. We have bought many aids but she doesnt recognize everyday objects. She picks up the tv remote to answer the phone. She looks for her keys in her purse. She doesnt see things around her, she hides food, cant remember words, turns off all electrics, doesnt appear to be showering, not washing clothes, goes to sleep in the chair then insists its the next day and has had 2 falls a couple of weeks ago. Thank you, Lorraine

try again

Jun 21, 2018
It's about where we were with mum. She was still insistent that she didn't want to go in a home.
A fall , cellulitis took her to hospital and from there she was discharged into a home and social services assessed her as not being able to go home.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Welcome to the site Supermumpicnic.
I think if you're asking the question you already know the answer, now, right now start looking.

Not for my wife but for a friend's mum he found a care home that let you go in for lunch, we went for lunch in the "hotel restaurant" as we told her it was, and after a couple of visits she wanted to stay in the "hotel" full time.

It meant the staff had a chance to meet and assess her informally and we are near to but separate from the residents when we ate, who wouldn't want to live in a hotel, waited on hand and foot?
Bed gets made for you, clothes get washed, food on demand and enough cup of tea to float my narrowboat in, warm and you're never alone.
Pretty sold on the idea myself sitting here alone heating a whole house for one, me.
K

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Supermumpicnic the fact that you have asked the question, together with the details you have given suggest that the need for 24 hour care has been reached. That's difficult to achieve in the domestic environment and often means admission to a care home. I took that decision for my wife in May 2019. It was the hardest decision but also the best for her.

This link might be helpful: