where do i live

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
Mum is in hospital following a hip fracture (pinned) and then another fall with a dislocation .... Its just over 2 weeks Although her wound is doing well she is struggling to stand (understandable) She is 92.... However her cognative ablitiies have gone down big time.
Today she kept asking me where she lived (same house for 64 years) No that wasnt the one she meant . I reeled off the only 2 others since she married in 1952 and her childhood home . But she wasnt sure which one she meant. She also asked if we were selling the house.
She is unwilling to drink much . and consequently has problems with her cathetar. No infection (they checked) She just seems so tired and old

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Your mum has gone through the mill @cymbid . Falls really shake elderly people up and combined with the fracture, pain, and anaesthetic it is unfortunately not surprising that she is confused. All of these things can progress dementia. You may have to think quite hard about her care after discharge. The hospital SW may suggest a discharge to assess bed to work out her needs

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
You are right Canary .... we are thinking she will be in residential care. She was always so against care of any kind. "it costs too much " But i dont think it will be too much of a fight now, especially if it is gradual ie, discharge to assess.