Snowed Under, Broken, I Dont Think I Can Do This

ExhaustedCat

Sep 30, 2023
Hi, I'm back after an introductory post a bit of a while back. I was really depressed at the time and shrank away from communicating so I never did the follow up post. There is going to be a bit of ramble while I lay the groundwork, because the current situation is extremely influenced by the background, I hope this will become clear as I go. Sorry for making anyone read a bunch of this before getting to the point. Please excuse if my words are obsessively overdetailed or irrelevant, I have a weird condition where I think people don't understand or believe me so I have difficulty being succint. Also I make no apologies for this being partly a therepeutic exercise.

I just turned 50 (blah), single and I live with my parents, my dad is 89 and has Alzheimers. He got married and had kids much later than was common for his generation and there is a huge age gap between him and mum. I haven't worked (outside home) in a long time, but I have been essentially the handyman/carer/dogsbody of the house for the last 15 years or so, to the point where codependence has become a real issue I wish I had seen coming a lot earlier. I previously moved out and lived away from the family after university which ended in unmitigated disaster that I was lucky to survive. I have been officially at Death's Door twice but pulled through, and not long ago I was given until 55 but luckily several factors have moved in my favour since, although it's unlikely I'll be a long stayer based purely on accumulated damage and the sheer volume of medication I'm on. Dad, on the other hand, is an ox - he has never had a sick day in his life and I honestly cannot remember him ever being ill. It's a miserably ambivalent feeling that he might actually stick around longer than me, not only might I not be around to look out for him, I'll never be free of him either.

Part 2 - On Being Broken
I will try to keep the next bit brief because frankly its a novel sized mess - I have Crohn's disease, but I also have every non fatal complication its possible for Crohn's sufferers to have, even the extremely rare ones, as well as permanent complications from multiple surgeries. This has left me effectively disabled (but mobile), unable to be particularly active outside the home and as I already suffered from social anxiety I have become a virtual recluse, especially after the lockdown. I also have quite recently discovered that I suffer from crippling ADHD (and have done all my life, although it was always diagnosed as 'Being Lazy and Unwilling to Behave'), which certainly answers a lot of questions but doesn't provide any immediate solutions. The waiting list for an official diagnosis and medication some of you may be aware is unbelievably long and I have had previous referrals rejected on the basis that it wasn't a 'significant handicap' because I don't have a job, kids or marriage to protect. A real ego booster that.

Part 3, It Gets Worse
My older brother suffered a brain injury as a baby, which has left him with moderate learning disability, extreme personality and behaviour issues and epilepsy. In a way, you could describe it as similar to middle stage dementia with extra aggression but with the physical strength and memory skills to make damn sure you never forget that he gets what he wants. A giant toddler, if you will. All three of us have had our patience, tolerance and energy worn down to a stump by 50 years of (what i now realise is) emotional and physical abuse and the endlessly repeating cycle of 'well he cant help it' and 'keep him happy or else'. Whether consciously or not, he's always managed to keep his actions just below what would be broadly considered enough to actually cut ties with him or lock him up, just enough to be incredibly irritating and exhausting, and to give me a lifelong inferiority complex because he got 90% of the attention when we were small and demands all the attention now he's big. He is in residential care but he visits us on alternate weekends because my parents are deeply attached to the idea that any rejection of him would make them bad parents and bad people, and concomitantly that he is totally incapable of independence without our constant intervention.

My medical condition has only grown worse over time, I have accumulated damage all over the place and I am largely in constant moderate pain, I have had diarrhea for 29 uninterrupted years, I've given up all the food and drink I enjoy but am still obese and constantly exhausted because my metabolism is broken. And into my life strolls Dr Alois Alzheimer.

Part 4: The Point
The point of all this is that I DO NOT HAVE THICK SKIN. Dad is slowly turned from a close friend, an intelligent, sensible and helpful person to a selfish, childish, spiteful brat. The memory loss is troubling, but its nothing compared to his obsessive and defiant behaviour and short temper. If it didn't seem extremely unlikely, I would think he is unconsciously copying the bad behaviour my brother has exhibited his whole life as some sort of strange revenge for putting up with it. I realise its not really that different from standard dementia symptoms but damn if it isn't depressingly familiar. Strangely enough he also seems to always stop just short of doing anything thats immediately life threatening or dangerous, but just enough to be really REALLY annoying - piles of rotten wood in the garden, pulling the shoots off my growing plants, throwing out any piece of paper that isnt nailed down (including a file of my financial and medical papers which went in the wheelie bin for the world to enjoy, right before the binmen came so I couldn't retrieve them), drinking more than he should and lying about it, taking the dog out in the pouring rain and coming back with muddy trousers and shoes but refusing to change out of them and tracking mud all over the house, refusing to finish his food then having three desserts, taking a drink cup to wash it when its still a third full and yelling at you for not finishing it faster, walking on flowerbeds with new seedlings, constantly yelling criticism at the driver if he's a passenger in a car, literally doing the opposite of what you ask him to even if it costs him (asking him not to tread on the plants may result in him going straight out there and standing on them and making sure you see him do it) - it truly does start to feel like he's just being a bully.

I have spent most of my life dealing with debilitating depression and anxiety, and problems resulting from neurodivergent traits about which I was never believed (mum still doesnt believe these things even exist let alone that I could be suffering from them). My entire childhood was spent terrified of and for my brother, not only constantly being reminded that I was both less important than him and had to succeed for two to make up for him, but that any problems I may have had were so much less than his that they were irrelevant. I also note as an aside that I had the bonus misfortune of being the only brown kid at two primary schools and secondary school, I was bullied and racially abused throughout my childhood, on top of being unusually short and having the 'crazy' brother. As it is I feel like a complete failure in every walk of life and that I have been doing nothing but disintegrate physically and mentally for years. Medical science has helpfully informed me that they are essentially out of treatment ideas and their advice is just try and live with it.

Part 5: Then Why Am I Still Here
This is where it gets very sticky indeed. I need, get, and appreciate help from my family, and they from me. Life is hard for me and they have certainly removed some things that would have made it much much harder. I am frankly terrified of trying to live by myself, both because of conditioning and the certain knowledge that I would not be able to cope. I realise this is a risky thing to get into because rightly it causes considerable concern so I will preface by saying that I have no plans to harm myself because I just have too much **** to do. That said, I have been barely hanging on the last few years, and I pretty much have to keep referring to checklist of reasons to still be here. If I added a ton of extra stress and responsibilities on top of constant loneliness I can only see that list getting shorter. The other major problem is that both of my parents have made it pretty clear to me that they would consider me leaving a gigantic personal betrayal, and without actually being monsters about it, I have been reminded who fed and clothed me and paid the bills all these years, and how family is about always helping each other no matter the cost. They have also made a habit of regularly telling me I am 'indispensible' and they 'couldnt cope' without me, which only with time and hindsight I realise is (largely) unintentional manipulation.

I cannot escape the all consuming feeling that if something happens to dad that I could have prevented, I will both feel and be held responsible. Due to a stroke of luck he stopped driving before I had to forcibly stop him which I was dreading, but right now he is walking a fine line of what is safe. He used to drink one small glass of red wine a day on his doctors advice, for 'health reasons' but lately he has begun drinking almost obsessively, despite having never been a heavy drinker his whole life. He has told me he can't remember ever having been drunk, but now he drinks like an alcoholic, topping up his glass when no one is looking, (figuratively) ransacking the house for booze if he runs out, and drinking things he actually hates like whiskey and brandy. If asked about this he immediately lies and becomes angry and defensive, even if you don't phrase it critically (How was that new wine? Is the wine finished? Want me to wash your glass?), and the sneaking and attempting to disguise his drinking seems like it must be the result of knowing he shouldn't. As he both has dementia and is on medication for it, I feel like he really shouldnt be drinking at all, but at what point does his right to destroy himself become subordinate to my responsibility to protect him? We have tapered off the amount of alcohol in the house with a view to having none at all but I fear this will result in not just anger and accusations but that this will be a repeating loop as he discovers each day that there's no alcohol and gets angry all over again. Not to mention that I worry he will actually start REALLY ransacking the house and potentially doing damage, injuring himself or messing with my irreplaceable valuables.

He still walks the dog and every day a little voice whispers in my ear this is the day he gets lost and falls in a ditch, and perhaps anticipating something he regularly and vehemently reminds me that walking the dog is his only pleasure in life and he never wants it taken away from him. He insists on collecting 'firewood' every single time he leaves the house, despite the fact that we have perhaps five fires a year and we already have a woodpile that will last us years, and he only seems to collect HUGE pieces rotten stinking slimy wood which he can barely drag and piles in the garden into giant unnerving stacks blocking access to parts of the garden, as well as huge piles of what is probably tens of thousands of pine cones that he defends like its gold. For some reason his memory is good enough to remember what he's accumulated and he spots immediately if we move any of it, he has forced his way deep into the hedge to retrieve some wood we hid there and got badly cut, and he also has the distressing habit now of ignoring injuries completely, even if blood is dripping off him, and getting angry if you try to treat or dress them. Again much like my brother he seems to have a highly acute sense of other people being distressed, and reacts by trying to amplify the distress, I imagine this is something to do with brain wiring responding to stress with anger and defensiveness instead of compassion but its REALLY hard not to take it as them just trying to hurt you as much as possible. As I have said a lot lately, knowing the name of the demon doesn't necessarily give you control of it.

Another problem, because it never ends, is that Mum is basically pathologically critical. She CANNOT lose an argument, or be proved wrong, or not say out loud if she thinks someone else is wrong. I love my mum and she's not a monster, but good grief is it hard to get her to not express a critical thought. Even IMMEDIATELY after discussing how she shouldnt constantly correct and tell off dad for thinks he forgets, the next sentence out her mouth has been criticising him on multiple occasions. She has made it abundantly clear that she will absolutely not place him in care or bring in professional help unless the need is desperate and existential. She is not unconsciously trying to drive him away as one might think, its just that she is consumed by the need for everyone around her to do what she thinks they should. I have taken to leaving a room if both of them are in it because an argument is practically guaranteed, and we have discussed this HUNDREDS of times and she is even currently attending seminars on dementia care that reinforce that what she is doing is not what she should be doing. It is maddening because life is hard enough. I fear that leaving them alone together without me as a buffer could be very ugly indeed.

Part 6: The Question
We have communicated with NHS resources on Dad's diagnosis of course, MRI scans and interviews resulted in Alzheimer's being officially confirmed and Donepezil being prescribed. Mum has been attending care advice seminars and so on, but it does feel like there is a big wall in front of us. Asking about more interventional care returns the question 'Is x actually life threatening to him or others?', otherwise you're on your own more or less. Of course Dad is lucky in that he does have largely able bodied family members to help and that we are willing to and not scumbags who will abuse or exploit him, but I have been dangling on the bottom rung of my emotional ladder for quite some time now and I don't think I have the stamina. It's not that it's hard work, or that I can't understand and sympathise, its the abuse. I have a very VERY low tolerance for rejection, accusations and raised voices, I have seen how people can get with this disease and I'm terrified he's going to break me and I won't be able to pull out of the tailspin. I truly, genuinely have NO idea what to do.

Campsie

Apr 11, 2024
WOW!!!! You really do have a lot to contend with. I've read your post all the way through. It's good to get it down in writing, maybe even a bit cathartic? You are very obviously a clever and intelligent person. Have you ever considered writing a book about your life and those in it? I hope you do and I wish you well.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Hi, I'm back after an introductory post a bit of a while back. I was really depressed at the time and shrank away from communicating so I never did the follow up post. There is going to be a bit of ramble while I lay the groundwork, because the current situation is extremely influenced by the background, I hope this will become clear as I go. Sorry for making anyone read a bunch of this before getting to the point. Please excuse if my words are obsessively overdetailed or irrelevant, I have a weird condition where I think people don't understand or believe me so I have difficulty being succint. Also I make no apologies for this being partly a therepeutic exercise.

I just turned 50 (blah), single and I live with my parents, my dad is 89 and has Alzheimers. He got married and had kids much later than was common for his generation and there is a huge age gap between him and mum. I haven't worked (outside home) in a long time, but I have been essentially the handyman/carer/dogsbody of the house for the last 15 years or so, to the point where codependence has become a real issue I wish I had seen coming a lot earlier. I previously moved out and lived away from the family after university which ended in unmitigated disaster that I was lucky to survive. I have been officially at Death's Door twice but pulled through, and not long ago I was given until 55 but luckily several factors have moved in my favour since, although it's unlikely I'll be a long stayer based purely on accumulated damage and the sheer volume of medication I'm on. Dad, on the other hand, is an ox - he has never had a sick day in his life and I honestly cannot remember him ever being ill. It's a miserably ambivalent feeling that he might actually stick around longer than me, not only might I not be around to look out for him, I'll never be free of him either.

Part 2 - On Being Broken
I will try to keep the next bit brief because frankly its a novel sized mess - I have Crohn's disease, but I also have every non fatal complication its possible for Crohn's sufferers to have, even the extremely rare ones, as well as permanent complications from multiple surgeries. This has left me effectively disabled (but mobile), unable to be particularly active outside the home and as I already suffered from social anxiety I have become a virtual recluse, especially after the lockdown. I also have quite recently discovered that I suffer from crippling ADHD (and have done all my life, although it was always diagnosed as 'Being Lazy and Unwilling to Behave'), which certainly answers a lot of questions but doesn't provide any immediate solutions. The waiting list for an official diagnosis and medication some of you may be aware is unbelievably long and I have had previous referrals rejected on the basis that it wasn't a 'significant handicap' because I don't have a job, kids or marriage to protect. A real ego booster that.

Part 3, It Gets Worse
My older brother suffered a brain injury as a baby, which has left him with moderate learning disability, extreme personality and behaviour issues and epilepsy. In a way, you could describe it as similar to middle stage dementia with extra aggression but with the physical strength and memory skills to make damn sure you never forget that he gets what he wants. A giant toddler, if you will. All three of us have had our patience, tolerance and energy worn down to a stump by 50 years of (what i now realise is) emotional and physical abuse and the endlessly repeating cycle of 'well he cant help it' and 'keep him happy or else'. Whether consciously or not, he's always managed to keep his actions just below what would be broadly considered enough to actually cut ties with him or lock him up, just enough to be incredibly irritating and exhausting, and to give me a lifelong inferiority complex because he got 90% of the attention when we were small and demands all the attention now he's big. He is in residential care but he visits us on alternate weekends because my parents are deeply attached to the idea that any rejection of him would make them bad parents and bad people, and concomitantly that he is totally incapable of independence without our constant intervention.

My medical condition has only grown worse over time, I have accumulated damage all over the place and I am largely in constant moderate pain, I have had diarrhea for 29 uninterrupted years, I've given up all the food and drink I enjoy but am still obese and constantly exhausted because my metabolism is broken. And into my life strolls Dr Alois Alzheimer.

Part 4: The Point
The point of all this is that I DO NOT HAVE THICK SKIN. Dad is slowly turned from a close friend, an intelligent, sensible and helpful person to a selfish, childish, spiteful brat. The memory loss is troubling, but its nothing compared to his obsessive and defiant behaviour and short temper. If it didn't seem extremely unlikely, I would think he is unconsciously copying the bad behaviour my brother has exhibited his whole life as some sort of strange revenge for putting up with it. I realise its not really that different from standard dementia symptoms but damn if it isn't depressingly familiar. Strangely enough he also seems to always stop just short of doing anything thats immediately life threatening or dangerous, but just enough to be really REALLY annoying - piles of rotten wood in the garden, pulling the shoots off my growing plants, throwing out any piece of paper that isnt nailed down (including a file of my financial and medical papers which went in the wheelie bin for the world to enjoy, right before the binmen came so I couldn't retrieve them), drinking more than he should and lying about it, taking the dog out in the pouring rain and coming back with muddy trousers and shoes but refusing to change out of them and tracking mud all over the house, refusing to finish his food then having three desserts, taking a drink cup to wash it when its still a third full and yelling at you for not finishing it faster, walking on flowerbeds with new seedlings, constantly yelling criticism at the driver if he's a passenger in a car, literally doing the opposite of what you ask him to even if it costs him (asking him not to tread on the plants may result in him going straight out there and standing on them and making sure you see him do it) - it truly does start to feel like he's just being a bully.

I have spent most of my life dealing with debilitating depression and anxiety, and problems resulting from neurodivergent traits about which I was never believed (mum still doesnt believe these things even exist let alone that I could be suffering from them). My entire childhood was spent terrified of and for my brother, not only constantly being reminded that I was both less important than him and had to succeed for two to make up for him, but that any problems I may have had were so much less than his that they were irrelevant. I also note as an aside that I had the bonus misfortune of being the only brown kid at two primary schools and secondary school, I was bullied and racially abused throughout my childhood, on top of being unusually short and having the 'crazy' brother. As it is I feel like a complete failure in every walk of life and that I have been doing nothing but disintegrate physically and mentally for years. Medical science has helpfully informed me that they are essentially out of treatment ideas and their advice is just try and live with it.

Part 5: Then Why Am I Still Here
This is where it gets very sticky indeed. I need, get, and appreciate help from my family, and they from me. Life is hard for me and they have certainly removed some things that would have made it much much harder. I am frankly terrified of trying to live by myself, both because of conditioning and the certain knowledge that I would not be able to cope. I realise this is a risky thing to get into because rightly it causes considerable concern so I will preface by saying that I have no plans to harm myself because I just have too much **** to do. That said, I have been barely hanging on the last few years, and I pretty much have to keep referring to checklist of reasons to still be here. If I added a ton of extra stress and responsibilities on top of constant loneliness I can only see that list getting shorter. The other major problem is that both of my parents have made it pretty clear to me that they would consider me leaving a gigantic personal betrayal, and without actually being monsters about it, I have been reminded who fed and clothed me and paid the bills all these years, and how family is about always helping each other no matter the cost. They have also made a habit of regularly telling me I am 'indispensible' and they 'couldnt cope' without me, which only with time and hindsight I realise is (largely) unintentional manipulation.

I cannot escape the all consuming feeling that if something happens to dad that I could have prevented, I will both feel and be held responsible. Due to a stroke of luck he stopped driving before I had to forcibly stop him which I was dreading, but right now he is walking a fine line of what is safe. He used to drink one small glass of red wine a day on his doctors advice, for 'health reasons' but lately he has begun drinking almost obsessively, despite having never been a heavy drinker his whole life. He has told me he can't remember ever having been drunk, but now he drinks like an alcoholic, topping up his glass when no one is looking, (figuratively) ransacking the house for booze if he runs out, and drinking things he actually hates like whiskey and brandy. If asked about this he immediately lies and becomes angry and defensive, even if you don't phrase it critically (How was that new wine? Is the wine finished? Want me to wash your glass?), and the sneaking and attempting to disguise his drinking seems like it must be the result of knowing he shouldn't. As he both has dementia and is on medication for it, I feel like he really shouldnt be drinking at all, but at what point does his right to destroy himself become subordinate to my responsibility to protect him? We have tapered off the amount of alcohol in the house with a view to having none at all but I fear this will result in not just anger and accusations but that this will be a repeating loop as he discovers each day that there's no alcohol and gets angry all over again. Not to mention that I worry he will actually start REALLY ransacking the house and potentially doing damage, injuring himself or messing with my irreplaceable valuables.

He still walks the dog and every day a little voice whispers in my ear this is the day he gets lost and falls in a ditch, and perhaps anticipating something he regularly and vehemently reminds me that walking the dog is his only pleasure in life and he never wants it taken away from him. He insists on collecting 'firewood' every single time he leaves the house, despite the fact that we have perhaps five fires a year and we already have a woodpile that will last us years, and he only seems to collect HUGE pieces rotten stinking slimy wood which he can barely drag and piles in the garden into giant unnerving stacks blocking access to parts of the garden, as well as huge piles of what is probably tens of thousands of pine cones that he defends like its gold. For some reason his memory is good enough to remember what he's accumulated and he spots immediately if we move any of it, he has forced his way deep into the hedge to retrieve some wood we hid there and got badly cut, and he also has the distressing habit now of ignoring injuries completely, even if blood is dripping off him, and getting angry if you try to treat or dress them. Again much like my brother he seems to have a highly acute sense of other people being distressed, and reacts by trying to amplify the distress, I imagine this is something to do with brain wiring responding to stress with anger and defensiveness instead of compassion but its REALLY hard not to take it as them just trying to hurt you as much as possible. As I have said a lot lately, knowing the name of the demon doesn't necessarily give you control of it.

Another problem, because it never ends, is that Mum is basically pathologically critical. She CANNOT lose an argument, or be proved wrong, or not say out loud if she thinks someone else is wrong. I love my mum and she's not a monster, but good grief is it hard to get her to not express a critical thought. Even IMMEDIATELY after discussing how she shouldnt constantly correct and tell off dad for thinks he forgets, the next sentence out her mouth has been criticising him on multiple occasions. She has made it abundantly clear that she will absolutely not place him in care or bring in professional help unless the need is desperate and existential. She is not unconsciously trying to drive him away as one might think, its just that she is consumed by the need for everyone around her to do what she thinks they should. I have taken to leaving a room if both of them are in it because an argument is practically guaranteed, and we have discussed this HUNDREDS of times and she is even currently attending seminars on dementia care that reinforce that what she is doing is not what she should be doing. It is maddening because life is hard enough. I fear that leaving them alone together without me as a buffer could be very ugly indeed.

Part 6: The Question
We have communicated with NHS resources on Dad's diagnosis of course, MRI scans and interviews resulted in Alzheimer's being officially confirmed and Donepezil being prescribed. Mum has been attending care advice seminars and so on, but it does feel like there is a big wall in front of us. Asking about more interventional care returns the question 'Is x actually life threatening to him or others?', otherwise you're on your own more or less. Of course Dad is lucky in that he does have largely able bodied family members to help and that we are willing to and not scumbags who will abuse or exploit him, but I have been dangling on the bottom rung of my emotional ladder for quite some time now and I don't think I have the stamina. It's not that it's hard work, or that I can't understand and sympathise, its the abuse. I have a very VERY low tolerance for rejection, accusations and raised voices, I have seen how people can get with this disease and I'm terrified he's going to break me and I won't be able to pull out of the tailspin. I truly, genuinely have NO idea what to do.
💗 Hello x

There is an awful lot of complicated things in your life so far. I did read all of your post.

I suspect you probably know that this isn't going to get any easier.

It would be easier maybe if dementia came with a plan wouldn't it? . 1. if you do this and 2. If you do that but it is really such a complicated illness it catches you off guard even if you do try and plan or organise. It seems to be as individual as the person themselves to me. The words hurt I agree but they are the illness and it seems to home in on a person's more negative personality traits. An observation from my own circumstances.

One thing is certain though the forum is always here and if we can't walk in your shoes we can walk along side you for a while ♥️

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
Hi @ExhaustedCat I didn't want to read and run. You have such a lot on your plate and you're doing an amazing job, whether you realise it or not.

Nothing is easy when dementia is thrown into the equation. I echo what @Angel55 has said - we're here to listen and share support where we can. You're not alone in this journey, so please keep posting whenever you need to.
S x

ExhaustedCat

Sep 30, 2023
So here's a little extra, and this is one of those moments that is pretty funny in retrospect but mindbogglingly worrying at first - he came home with the wrong dog.

First we know about it a Rottweiler bursts into the house and dashes around going a bit doggy nuts, eats all of our dogs food in about 2 seconds then freaks out, panics and goes to hide under the hedge from whence we are unable to coax or drag him. We are some weak weak humans, and our dog is a tiny cockapoo, who has also showed up and has the most hilarious look on his face of utter confusion.

Turns out its our friends dog that caught the scent of someone he knows and ran off and dad somehow didnt notice this ROTTWEILER was with him all the way home and was actually walking ahead of him. It's one of the strangest and most extreme examples of his worsening perception. It didn't help that mum n dad both basically freaked out and panicked much like the dog did and I had to try and work out what was going on while still 3/4 asleep and being yelled at by two humans and a dog (ours was now totally losing it because he could sense the tension). Luckily it was an easy solution because the owner isn't far from us and we know him, but at the time I was consumed by dread (its his new dog I haven't met before and doesnt have tags yet), and Dad, pardon the expression, was going Full Dementia by endlessly repeating the same things, blaming the two of us for doing something and yelling at me that I was doing everything wrong.

I'm afraid I lost my temper a little and raised my voice to him, which is incredibly rare for me but he was actually getting so agitated in the car I was afraid it would cause an accident and I had to stop and tell him in no uncertain terms that we weren't moving until he stopped shouting at me. I ALWAYS hate myself after doing this, its only been a few times in the last year and the difficulty is that it works - it's partly the training from being around my brother where you generally can only shut him down by 'shock and awe' by raising your voice louder than his and dressing it with an ultimatum. A major part of my concern for the future is that Im going to get stuck in Rage Mode and I'm going to end up just hating him and myself, or its going to drive a wedge between me and Mum because I'll be yelling at her for starting arguments that I have to resolve.

Since nobody here actually knows me, I would like to make a particular thing clear, we are not folks who are given to physical violence. Perhaps because of my brother, or its just a inbuilt thing the three of us are extremely passive folk and in case my story sounds like Im going over a precipice I want to be crystal clear that there is no danger of me getting into an altercation with dad. Sadly I cannot be completely sure that something won't come from him, because his personality has changed so drastically, but Mum and I are obessively non violent people - decades of it coming from my brother without him ever getting any in return (obviously aside from when I was a small child and was defending myself) has made us practically phobic of physical conflict. I'm far more worried about myself, because I internalise a hell of a lot of stress and anger because I just dont have anywhere else to put it - ever since I was old enough to understand I could never 'get my own back' on my brother or 'give as good as I got' because it was hammered into me that he couldnt help it and I had to not only forgive him but be EXTRA nice to him after he did something mean because we didn't want it happening again.

And now a very similar thing is happening with dad, I've read multiple books, pamphlets and handouts on dementia and I am very much aware of what ideally one should or shouldnt do, but it simply isnt practical to NEVER correct someone, especially if it results in a physical activity that is unsafe. After this morning, he switched back into 'normal' mode almost immediately after the car started moving again, and while I was seething, frustrated and worried I had to act like everything was fine and he'd done nothing wrong because he'd already forgotten. And there is no closure later when I can say hey sorry I blew up earlier it was because x and y because he'll have no idea what I'm talking about, and it will have no effect on the next time.

In case this seems like maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, there is something with me. Either due to my childhood or neurological reasons I have an extreme reaction to raised voices, if someone shouts at me or is especially critical my brain flips completely into flight mode and I start to shut down. It is practically impossible for me to let it wash over me and have a calm reaction.

Incidentally, in case it was going to be recommended, I have been in therapy for most of the last ten years, and currently paying an eye watering amount of money to a private counsellor with whom I am up to 110 sessions and I feel worse than I ever have. Every session makes me more depressed and more aware of how I've completely wasted my life. Does anyone know if there's a point at which this makes you feel BETTER? I feel like I'm paying someone to help me increasingly realise I'm in hell. This is probably a colossal reach but does anyone know if there's some moderately strong medication I can get that will let me just get on with it? I know theres no magic bullets for the disease that is life but can't hurt to ask...

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
So here's a little extra, and this is one of those moments that is pretty funny in retrospect but mindbogglingly worrying at first - he came home with the wrong dog.

First we know about it a Rottweiler bursts into the house and dashes around going a bit doggy nuts, eats all of our dogs food in about 2 seconds then freaks out, panics and goes to hide under the hedge from whence we are unable to coax or drag him. We are some weak weak humans, and our dog is a tiny cockapoo, who has also showed up and has the most hilarious look on his face of utter confusion.

Turns out its our friends dog that caught the scent of someone he knows and ran off and dad somehow didnt notice this ROTTWEILER was with him all the way home and was actually walking ahead of him. It's one of the strangest and most extreme examples of his worsening perception. It didn't help that mum n dad both basically freaked out and panicked much like the dog did and I had to try and work out what was going on while still 3/4 asleep and being yelled at by two humans and a dog (ours was now totally losing it because he could sense the tension). Luckily it was an easy solution because the owner isn't far from us and we know him, but at the time I was consumed by dread (its his new dog I haven't met before and doesnt have tags yet), and Dad, pardon the expression, was going Full Dementia by endlessly repeating the same things, blaming the two of us for doing something and yelling at me that I was doing everything wrong.

I'm afraid I lost my temper a little and raised my voice to him, which is incredibly rare for me but he was actually getting so agitated in the car I was afraid it would cause an accident and I had to stop and tell him in no uncertain terms that we weren't moving until he stopped shouting at me. I ALWAYS hate myself after doing this, its only been a few times in the last year and the difficulty is that it works - it's partly the training from being around my brother where you generally can only shut him down by 'shock and awe' by raising your voice louder than his and dressing it with an ultimatum. A major part of my concern for the future is that Im going to get stuck in Rage Mode and I'm going to end up just hating him and myself, or its going to drive a wedge between me and Mum because I'll be yelling at her for starting arguments that I have to resolve.

Since nobody here actually knows me, I would like to make a particular thing clear, we are not folks who are given to physical violence. Perhaps because of my brother, or its just a inbuilt thing the three of us are extremely passive folk and in case my story sounds like Im going over a precipice I want to be crystal clear that there is no danger of me getting into an altercation with dad. Sadly I cannot be completely sure that something won't come from him, because his personality has changed so drastically, but Mum and I are obessively non violent people - decades of it coming from my brother without him ever getting any in return (obviously aside from when I was a small child and was defending myself) has made us practically phobic of physical conflict. I'm far more worried about myself, because I internalise a hell of a lot of stress and anger because I just dont have anywhere else to put it - ever since I was old enough to understand I could never 'get my own back' on my brother or 'give as good as I got' because it was hammered into me that he couldnt help it and I had to not only forgive him but be EXTRA nice to him after he did something mean because we didn't want it happening again.

And now a very similar thing is happening with dad, I've read multiple books, pamphlets and handouts on dementia and I am very much aware of what ideally one should or shouldnt do, but it simply isnt practical to NEVER correct someone, especially if it results in a physical activity that is unsafe. After this morning, he switched back into 'normal' mode almost immediately after the car started moving again, and while I was seething, frustrated and worried I had to act like everything was fine and he'd done nothing wrong because he'd already forgotten. And there is no closure later when I can say hey sorry I blew up earlier it was because x and y because he'll have no idea what I'm talking about, and it will have no effect on the next time.

In case this seems like maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, there is something with me. Either due to my childhood or neurological reasons I have an extreme reaction to raised voices, if someone shouts at me or is especially critical my brain flips completely into flight mode and I start to shut down. It is practically impossible for me to let it wash over me and have a calm reaction.

Incidentally, in case it was going to be recommended, I have been in therapy for most of the last ten years, and currently paying an eye watering amount of money to a private counsellor with whom I am up to 110 sessions and I feel worse than I ever have. Every session makes me more depressed and more aware of how I've completely wasted my life. Does anyone know if there's a point at which this makes you feel BETTER? I feel like I'm paying someone to help me increasingly realise I'm in hell. This is probably a colossal reach but does anyone know if there's some moderately strong medication I can get that will let me just get on with it? I know theres no magic bullets for the disease that is life but can't hurt to ask...
i was recommended therapy after i lost my husband 15 years ago . Her recommendation was i write his name on a bit paper and throw it away . Idiot woman. I decided i would just deal with things one day at a time and get better by my own efforts . One foot in front of the other. I would think after over 100 sessions you do not feel the benefit you either find another councellor or stop .

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @ExhaustedCat

Im glad that you managed to see the funny side of your dad coming home with the wrong dog! Carers of people with dementia usually develop gallows humour and you will find numerous posts on here attesting to that 😁. The incident was very well written and I found myself laughing as I could just picture it all! On a serious side, dont worry too much about losing your temper with your dad sometimes, we are none of us robots and we all do it at times. I find it easiest to just walk away when OH starts. And I can recommend screaming into a pillow.......

By the way, I am sure that no-one here will think you are exaggerating. I recognise so much of what you have written about your dad.
xx

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England

One very small humble suggestion. Your reaction to sounds could be a condition called hyperacusis, where sound is out of proportion to what another person would hear. A kind of hearing migraine or hearing colour blindness. Get a cheap pair of ear defenders as used with loud machinery. Use them to chill out

ExhaustedCat

Sep 30, 2023
One very small humble suggestion. Your reaction to sounds could be a condition called hyperacusis, where sound is out of proportion to what another person would hear. A kind of hearing migraine or hearing colour blindness. Get a cheap pair of ear defenders as used with loud machinery. Use them to chill out
Thanks for the suggestion, that's a very interesting concept. In my case I am 99% sure its entirely psychological, because I can listen to loud things without pain, its the emotion behind raised voices that freaks me out. I can watch fictional characters yell at each other, but I can't stand to hear strangers in a raised voice argument nearby.

As far as using headphones to chill out, one of the difficulties in the house is that I'm expected to be on call all the time the others are awake, if I put on headphones to listen to music or watch a movie and escape into another world for a bit, one of the three of them will just shout my name louder and louder and eventually storm in and get angry that I wasn't listening out for them. Not ALL the time, I don't want to paint them as being constantly abusive, but enough that I'm constantly paranoid about not being able to hear someone calling for me.

Recently dad's gotten really terrible for this, a while ago he lost his temper with me for having a bath - ironically as his short term memory has gotten worse he's forgotten he's been waiting for me to come and help him so he doesn't get as angry about it, and a little cynically I have taken to occasionally just waiting long enough for him to forget he asked me to do something, especially when its something I know he's going to get frustrated and angry about when I try to talk him through it.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As others have said, put it all in writing it does help and just so you know it does get read.
Sometimes it's just so very hard to think of a reply other than thank you from us all. K

Sue Rich

Jun 1, 2024
I think it is entirely understandable and normal to feel the way you do,. The situation you describe does not feel sustainable for any of you and your family who are caught up in it. Apart from your therapist, where are the professionals in all this? Is there a care plan in place for your father and brother ? Have you and your mother had a carer's assessment ? No-one is superhuman and you can't be expected to shoulder so many burdens without help. Don't be afraid to shout for help even if it might be slow in coming.

OB1

Aug 27, 2020
O M G you are amazing! it's time for change before you break, and then what use would you be? I think you should write a T.V comedy; the profit could pay for care.

Sam24

Mar 26, 2024
Thank-you for sharing. So well and clearly written about the complexities you are dealing with. I was really helped by your description of the family dynamics both for myself (older sibling, Dad with Alzheimer’s) and as I work with young people with disabilities the lifelong impact of having a sibling with a disability. These days there is a charity called Sibs that tries to help siblings that have to deal with the emotional burden and trauma that goes along with being in this position and it’s funny how sometimes the similarities with Alzheimer’s behaviours and behaviours of people with learning differences/needs/disabilities present themselves. I’m so impressed you persevere with therapy, it is much harder than people think.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clare71