1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

How do I deal with the DVLA/Police regarding my Dad?

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by GailM, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    No idea what that means.
    If only your father went to see gp and the eye appt, are you sure that what he says was true? Is he driving your cousin around again?
    OH was high functioning, but still got diagnosed, so there has to be more to it than just the tests. For instance blood tests and scans.
    Keep a record of any dementia-like behaviour to back up your case.
    And if the gp refuses to tell DVLA, suggest that an accident might result in a death. Their child? Their partner?

2. GailM

GailM Registered User

Jan 1, 2017
    My Dad was given a lift to the Opticians, but he would have gone in on his own. Yes he's back to taking my Cousin to work and back. He's been to see me this morning and is wearing his new glasses. Back to square one in terms of the dementia...

3. GailM

GailM Registered User

Jan 1, 2017
    It's been nearly two years since I last posted. My Dad is no longer driving. He was having chest pains which he thought might be heart related and was scared to drive. It wasn't heart related. I told him to take two Rennies before he went to bed, and he hasn't had any chest pain since...I'm saying he no longer drives (since July 2017), I found out he had been driving to the bottle bank a few miles away (with my Uncle in the car). He shouldn't have been doing that. My Uncle said recently "we have to pick and choose our times when your Dad is ok to drive" ??? Anyway, I found out he no longer goes to the bottle bank either, so that's it. His driving days are gone. He is far worse than he was two years ago, yet the rest of the family (who he still lives with), are still in total denial and are STILL blaming it on the fact he's on the highest level of statins!!! He has been for nearly two years, but he showing signs before then. I've even said if the statins were causing it, why is he deteriorating? Nobody listens to me, so let them get on with it...