How do I deal with relative with dementia who cannot manage her money and refuses to relinquish any control?

Hilliary

Sep 16, 2023
My Aunt has dementia, I live in another state and am her POA. Almost daily she believes someone "hacked" into her bank account (she readily gives out credit card info over the phone and surfs the web incessantly). She is unable to pay her bills and is not willing to allow me to pay them. The home health aid I hired is wonderful, but my aunt loves her one minute, and the next wants her out.
I really need some ideas on how to proceed.
Thank you.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello and welcome to Talking Point @Hilliary This must be so worrying for you and I am sure that you want to protect your aunt. This website is based in the UK and I do not know how POA works in the US. I have attached a link to the Alzheimer's Association in the US and hopefully they will be able to advise you.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Hilliary and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. In the UK debit/credit cards have a three didget security number on the back that you need when buying stuff on the internet or over the phone. If it’s the same in the US scratching the three numbers off might stop your aunt making inappropriate purchases. That’s if you can get to the cards of course!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My Aunt has dementia, I live in another state and am her POA. Almost daily she believes someone "hacked" into her bank account (she readily gives out credit card info over the phone and surfs the web incessantly). She is unable to pay her bills and is not willing to allow me to pay them. The home health aid I hired is wonderful, but my aunt loves her one minute, and the next wants her out.
I really need some ideas on how to proceed.
Thank you.
Not sure the powers a POA has in the US if I am right that is where you are. In the UK it would be right to take control if these problems were happening as a POA -that means some significant intervention. I had to take my mums credit cards off her as her POA and also access her debit card to control how much she spent and I also limited her cash that she carried, but that didn't stop her paying cowboys by cheque for odd jobs around her house for which she was significantly overcharged -I did however finally remove the cheque book. There are certain triggers in dementia that are powerful for people with dementia and one of them is money, another is driving.

Sporadic gardener

Sep 4, 2022
Hi, assuming you have registered the LPA with the bank you should be able to check payments going out and stop anything that looks fraudulent. I found my pwd very resistant at first but especially when talking about finances from a distance. It's taken a long time but I stayed a few times and we sorted out some 'admin' together so that she felt in control. Then I managed to get her agreement to let me move anything over a set amount into a savings account (in case the boiler needs replacing or roof needs repair - rather than mentioning care costs). I asked her to put it in writing while I was there so all legal. This has worked well soni can at least reduce the risks of fraud. I also switched to paperless statements so she no longer gets the trigger of receiving bank statements. It hasn't stopped spending but reduced the risks

Yankeeabroad

Oct 24, 2021
Hi @Hilliary I am POA for my dad (& previously my mom) in Oklahoma. Your location doesn’t matter for enforcing this.

I’d advise to register the POA now (!!) with every institution you can, including Medicare/social security. It takes time (up to 6 months in some cases) to give approval. Unfortunately most institutions and companies have different forms and procedures. One of my mom’s CC companies requested my full financial and residential history (difficult as I don’t actually live in the US…) to grant POA. Then the next time I rang the rep mistook me for my 85 year old mom (I let that slide) and gave me the info needed. I ended up getting an additional card on one of my dad’s credit card accounts to give me full legal access (recommended by the kind customer service rep) but that won’t work if your aunt won’t let you help.

you also need to look at the POA and see if there is a medical trigger clause (fairly standard in off the shelf POAs), then you will need a note from the appropriate medical person (what‘s accepted again differs from company to company) to allow you to act as POA. We had removed this (perfectly legal) for my mom and dad after not being able to invoke the POA when my brother became unresponsive because it was during the holidays and there were no doctors around to sign it. It can also be difficult with dementia to get a doctor to sign off on this due to the shifting levels of cognisance.

If your aunt banks with a local bank, they may be more supportive to work with you “around the edges” to help you get some things done.

Register your aunts phone number(s) with the do not call list https://www.donotcall.gov/ and check with her land line provider to see if the have a robocall blocking service (Cox does in many places). The unsolicited calls are a HUGE source of CC fraud in the US and the callers can be very aggressive. I also have contacted companies that my dad has bought things from and asked that they remove him from their mailing and call lists (they are legally required to do this if you ask). One very understanding company (where I was returning an unopened package) was also able to place him on a “do not do business with” list after I explained the dementia situation. It’s means that even if he does call in (seeing an ad for example) to place an order, it gets blocked after the order is taken (so he doesn’t know about it). So always worth while explaining the situation nicely to try for a solution.

Your (or her) local Alzheimer’s Association should also be able to gives some advice.

Yankeeabroad

Oct 24, 2021
I forgot to say, once the POA is registered, you can act on your aunt’s behalf and don’t need her permission. She doesn’t need to know.

I just state I have the POA (in many places it’s noted on the file) and they will speak to me after going thru the security check’s.