How do I cope?

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
District nurse is now visiting mum weekly. Today she suggested I sleep in the same room as mum and spend as much time with mum as possible. Does this mean mum may die soon? In many ways mum has been as she is now for weeks - still eating though perhaps not quite as much, sleeping a lot and either calling out during the night or early morning. As much as I have wanted it to be over, now that it may be here I don't want it to be. Not sure I can cope with the overwhelming sadness.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I'm so sorry @TessB

I don't know what stage your mum is at, but I would have thought the DNs would be in more often if they thought she might die imminently. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a private word next time the DN is in and have a very open conversation with them

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
I'm so sorry @TessB

I don't know what stage your mum is at, but I would have thought the DNs would be in more often if they thought she might die imminently. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a private word next time the DN is in and have a very open conversation with them
Thank you for your reply, Canary. It's reassuring to know the DNs would visit more often if they thought it was imminent. I did ask today's nurse if she thought mum would die soon but she said she didn't know. Today's nurse was the same one who visited last week so I wondered if she'd noticed signs that I wouldn't recognise. Mum has heart failure as well as Alzheimer's and vascular dementia. Apparently the vascular disease is advanced and mum hadn't been expected to survive the TIA she had last December.

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
I'm so sorry @TessB

My lovely mum passed away suddenly this evening

mhw

Apr 4, 2024
Hoping you were sort of prepared after the last couple of days and werent/ aren't alone with this. Your mum's suffering is over bless her. Take care of yourself. X

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Hi TessB, even when you are expecting it, it takes time to get your head around somebody dying. Give yourself a couple of days to maybe have a good cry and process things (surprisingly this isn’t an automatic reaction no matter how much we love someone).

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @TessB i am sorry to read about your mum’s passing. Sending you condolences and wishing you strength for the days ahead.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh my goodness @TessB , I am so sorry. It sounds like that was much quicker than anyone expected
Please be kind to yourself now
(((((((((((Hugs))))))))))

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It sounds as if it was the heart failure @TessB and a terrible shock for you.

Please accept my condolences. Take care.