Worried about my mum

Happygo

Nov 14, 2023
Mum seems to be next to deaths door one day and then appears to be better the next. The sleeping most of the time and not eating or drinking much at all has been going on now for months. We were told she wouldnt make it to Christmas and thank goodness we are still here.
The latest now is not sure if she possibly hiding a cancer as blood results are a bit strange. I am now not sure if she is in pain as I keep being told late stage dementia patient don’t recognise pain. I am tormented by the thought she is in pain and I don’t know.
Has anyone else any advice on this please.
l love my mum and selfishly want her to stay but don’t want her to be in pain

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
So sorry t hear about your troubles. Pain is different for each person . I might just shake off a tummy pain that would cripple another etc . A matter of perception I suppose. Therefore, is it not possible that (as has been said) she simple doesnt recognise the pain . and so is not suffering pain .

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Mum seems to be next to deaths door one day and then appears to be better the next. The sleeping most of the time and not eating or drinking much at all has been going on now for months. We were told she wouldnt make it to Christmas and thank goodness we are still here.
The latest now is not sure if she possibly hiding a cancer as blood results are a bit strange. I am now not sure if she is in pain as I keep being told late stage dementia patient don’t recognise pain. I am tormented by the thought she is in pain and I don’t know.
Has anyone else any advice on this please.
l love my mum and selfishly want her to stay but don’t want her to be in pain
Would it be she is in pain but is unable to communicate it, either through speech or body language.
You could try giving her the maximum dose of Paracetamol for a week and see if she seems any better.

I know of someone with dementia that went to A&E with pain in their side, last month, they received no diagnosis, but were dead three weeks later with a large tumour ( no prizes for guessing it location.)
So the moral of the story is to keep nagging the medical professionals, to give the person the care they deserve.

Also have you heard of ‘just in case medication’. You have it in a box in the house and then if the person rapidly deteriorates and you need the nurses to come and give injectables there is no messing around with locating doctors or cashing a prescription at 11pm on a Sunday night.

Happygo

Nov 14, 2023
Hi thank you for the quick response we have just in case meds ready to go but they keep saying not yet. Mum is when awake very subdued and not talking also not really bothered with any visitors it’s almost like she just wants to be left alone .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stephenv