1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Jude

Jude Registered User

#1 Jude, Sep 18, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
    Dear All,

Just thought I'd start a thread for this - for when we can all get together for our Meeting....... Please contribute!

Introductions
    Resources Thread - reshuffle if required
    Stress/Anger Management - Fact Sheet or Thread?
    New Joining Members to declare their interest in Talking Point
    Scenarios and Reactions
    Initial Software Guide
    Moderators Concerns - Responsibilities, etc
    TP Flyer and Compliment Slip
    Private Messages
    Chris as Resources Host?
    Optimal Number of Hosts
    Caring as a Small Business
    Advertising/Charity Promotions
    Any Other Stuff

2. Norman

Norman Registered User

Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    Agenda Item
    New joining members to declare their interest in Alxheimer's talking point
    Norman

3. Jude

Jude Registered User

Dear Norman,

Many thanks. I've added this to the Agenda.

Jude

4. CraigC

CraigC Registered User

Mar 21, 2003
    London
    Hi Jude,

Great ideas and funnily enough I was thinking along the same lines this weekend. I've added a new item to the list - hope you are OK with us putting some thoughts together Nada, I'm sure you have plenty of other ideas and questions.

1. Introductions
    2. Resources Thread - reshuffle if required
    3. Stress/Anger Management - Fact Sheet or Thread?
    4. New Joining Members to declare their interest in Talking Point
    5. New joining members to declare their interest in Alxheimer's talking point

6. Scenarios and reactions? I think it would be worthwhile discussing some possible scenarios that we may experience as moderators and discuss (and hopefully agree) how we should react. I was thinking along the lines of more serious delicate subjects. For example:

a. Member is desperate and suicidal.
    b. Member gives out their personal details.
    c. Member is agressive or uses foul language toward another member.
    d. Member discusses euthanasia.
    e. And more hopefully....

7. Discuss putting together a Talking Point Start Up guide to help new users get the most of the forum software. I don't mind writing an producing the guide, just need some ideas on what it should contain. Crikes, I've given myself an action point already :)

8. Concerns - do any of the moderators have any concerns or questions regarding the moderating responsibilies.

Kind Regards
    Craig

5. Jude

Jude Registered User

Dear Craig,

f] Member wishes to dismember both parents - [basic surgery for beginners package.......]

No, seriously!!! Thanks for the info Craig. I'm just keeping a tally on the first post here. Hope I've got everything to date.

Jude

6. CraigC

CraigC Registered User

Mar 21, 2003
    London
    Latest list....one more point added at end.

1. Introductions

6. Scenarios and reactions? I think it would be worthwhile discussing some possible scenarios that we may experience as moderators and discuss (and hopefully agree) how we should react. I was thinking along the lines of more serious delicate subjects. For example:

7. Discuss putting together a Talking Point Start Up guide to help new users get the most of the forum software. I don't mind writing an producing the guide, just need some ideas on what it should contain. Crikes, I've given myself an action point already :)

8. Concerns - do any of the moderators have any concerns or questions regarding the moderating responsibilies.

9. Discuss producing a more comprehensive flyer and compliment slip for TP (e.g. Mental heath teams/hospitals/consultants etc ,to place on their notice boards.

7. Jude

Jude Registered User

Dear All,

Just to let you know that Carole and Glyn [carers] will be away from 27 Sept until 13 October. I'll be a bit hampered by this, but still can make a meeting if it's not too far away and during a morning.

Sorry, Jude

8. CraigC

CraigC Registered User

Mar 21, 2003
    London
    I'm fine to leave it until after the 13th October.

Nada, do you want to throw a few dates at us and see if we can all get together. I'm assuming it may be best if we all come to you?

thanks
    Craig

9. Norman

Norman Registered User

Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    Nada
    It does seem at this stage that I will be unable to make a meeting, and of course you must go ahead without me,no one person is indispesable.
    If I cannot attend meetings would you rather that I stood down as a moderator/host?
    However when I know the date and venue I will see who I can recruit to mind Peg
    Best wishes
    Norman

10. Jude

Jude Registered User

Dear Norman,

We will probably have a meeting once in a blue moon, if we can all get it together to meet on a specific day, depending upon damage control at home...

You're on the site every day as a Host... WE NEED YOU...!!!

Jude xx

11. CraigC

CraigC Registered User

Mar 21, 2003
    London
    Hi Norman,

I'm sure that we all won't be able to attend every meeting in the future, and its not a prerequisite for being a moderator/host!

It's just a chance for us all to get together and bash a few ideas around. Will be great if you could come along, but we all understand your circumstances. If it's difficult for you to come along, no worries at all.

I'm also sure that we will post details of anything we have discussed so you can throw us some feedback if you like.

Kind Regards
    Craig

12. Norman

Norman Registered User

Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    Craig
    Nada of course has my home address and if I am unable to make a meeting perhaps she would post a copy of the minutes to me.
    best wishes
    Norman

13. Jude

Jude Registered User

Dear Nada,

What a great idea! That way, Norman will be able to participate too.

By the way, I don't expect you to ring me in Bali if you have meetings when I'm o/seas....

Jude

14. CraigC

CraigC Registered User

Mar 21, 2003
    London
    Jude,

When you are overseas I'm hoping that Nada will move the meeting to you :)....

Kind Regards
    Craig

15. CraigC

CraigC Registered User

Mar 21, 2003
    London
    #15 CraigC, Sep 22, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
    Well we can dream...
    I have added another subject to the agenda (Point 10.):

Latest list....one more point added at end.

1. Introductions

9. Discuss producing a more comprehensive flyer and compliment slip for TP (e.g. Mental heath teams/hospitals/consultants etc ,to place on their notice boards.

10. Discuss providing members guidance/ettiquete for private messaging. (e.g. You do not have to answer a private message. If you are sent an offensive private message, please contact the host who will be happy to deal with the situation etc.)

11. Discuss number of Hosts. Do we need more hosts, will this become difficult to manage ... etc

16. Jude

Jude Registered User

Dear All,

A meeting in Bali would be brilliant. If you can stump up the airfares, then I'll provide the accommodation.

Jude xxx

17. Sheila

Sheila Registered User

Oct 23, 2003
    West Sussex
    Thats a really good idea Nada. I hope to make it, I'm on an op list and have the pre op consultation at the beginning of Oct. but not a clue yet when I will be hospitalised etc. Love She. XX

18. Jude

Jude Registered User

Dear Nada,

Tuesday 19 October is fine with me.

Jude

19. CraigC

CraigC Registered User

Mar 21, 2003
    London
    Tuesday 19 October is also fine with me.
    Craig

20. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    Another day that week would be better for me.

Yesterday I did a preliminary 'sign-up' at the local Job Centre. Had to sign all sorts of agreements and targets for calls to employers etc, and also agree to a meeting each 2 weeks. Tuesday 19th is one of those dates.

Now I will probably have jumped ship on the jobs front by then as I don't have time to go searching for jobs I have no intention of taking. I only signed up to try and claw back some of the taxes I have paid over the past 38 years! Jan's situation has made me the subject of a medical condition I have called 'normal job intolerant', and there is no known cure. I just don't have the patience for normal business any more.

So... would another day in the week beginning 18 October [that day is Jan's birthday, by the way] be possible?