Hi my name is Pat and my husband has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. Where to start with driving and car insurance.

Pat2592

Jan 4, 2024
We’ve notified the DVLA but my husband still drives with me as co-driver. If he feels ill, I drive. Will the DVLA make him stop? When we notify the car insurance, will they cancel or double the insurance? He only drives locally (within 10 miles) and has had no accidents. Can anyone tell me?

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
What was your husband told about driving when he was diagnosed? If he was told to stop driving then he mustn't drive until he gets a decision from the DVLA. He must notify the car insurers straight away. I don't know whether they will put up the premium or not.

The DVLA will ask for information from his GP and the memory clinic. Based on the information they receive either he will be allowed to continue driving for a period or he will be asked to take a driving assessment or he will have his licence withdrawn. There is a right of appeal in the latter case. If he doesn't answer the questionnaire from the DVLA asking for information and permission to contact his doctors his licence will be withdrawn.

It makes no difference that your husband only drives locally. It's an all or nothing situation; either he's allowed to drive or he's not.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Pat2592 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. A diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease does not necessarily mean that a person is unfit to drive but it is up to DVLA to make that decision. Clearly a person who is not supposed to drive should not be allowed to under any circumstances. Not only will insurance be invalid but the risk of harm to themselves or others shouldn't be taken.

Lakeland67

Jul 24, 2023
Carlisle
Hi, my husband was diagnosed with mixed dementia in October, was advised to stop driving until DVLA had been in contact re. Assessment. We self referred for driving assessment as this was a major upset for him and he was deemed safe to drive. He needs another assessment in 12 months. We are still waiting for DVLA to contact us so pleased we did self refer.