My husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s

gillyflower21

Hi, My husband was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment about 5 years ago and recently he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. He‘s also has been taking antidepressants for around 20 years, so frequently doesn’t want to do anything. We used to enjoy walking, but a hip operation a couple of years ago left me struggling, so it’s just short walks now.

We play bridge at our local club, which is very friendly. At the moment we are managing, but I know that eventually he won’t be able to play. Mostly I seem to manage, but there are times when I want to scream. Every week it seems as if there’s something that he can’t do any longer and I I have to pick it up.

I guess what worries me most is not knowing what to expect. It’s great having this forum to be able to air problems,

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Hi @gillyflower21 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. Our friendly and helpful members have vast experience and knowledge about dementia and truly understand what it entails. I hope that we can support you and your husband in facing whatever comes your way.

Kevinl

Rant at us not at him, we've all been there and are used to it, have a virtual real long scream then take a big breath, then expect the unexpected, that's how it works. K