Auditory hallucinations

Lucylee

Jun 29, 2024
Hi this is my very first post. Looking after my mum. Physical health problems. Exhausted with working & caring & all the medical appts. Now Alzheimer’s been diagnosed. Probably the most difficult thing. She started a few months ago with auditory hallucinations,happily not distressing her,but often chatting to non existent ‘boyfriend’ next door. Cannot be dissuaded or distracted sometimes. Tonight her cooked meal going cold 15 minutes whist she had a conversation. Almost like an imaginary friend. Very worrying. This morning 3am she woke me me saying the boyfriend was at the front door wanting to get in because he was locked out of his house. I’m shattered. Seems to occur 1-2 times a week especially when tired or hungry. Anyone had experience of this? Any advice? Medication? Many thanks.

Volak62

Jun 28, 2024
My mother, 89 is regularly shouting 'come in' to imaginary door knockers, then shuffling to the door with her walking frame thereby putting herself at risk of falls. She used to say that she heard the doorbell ringing in the middle of the night - so i took the battery out, but she could still hear it - this was what made me realise she was hallucinating.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Lucylee and @Volak62 I hope you will find the forum helpful and feel the support from other members.

You could ask your mothers` GPs to prescribe some calming medication but I know they are reluctant because it may increase the risk of falls.

Being woken in the middle of the night is tough.

Do either of you have any help coming into the home to give you a break? Have you had carers assessments?

This would be my first step in enabling you to get some respite care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bexs