Helping with meds

jam shed

Jan 19, 2024
Omg I've had the most horrendous day trying to convince my auntie who lives door that this meds box is a great idea , she didn't take her meds properly although she insisted she did, it's so hard x

sue31

Oct 2, 2023
Medway
Omg I've had the most horrendous day trying to convince my auntie who lives door that this meds box is a great idea , she didn't take her meds properly although she insisted she did, it's so hard x
Had similar, tried everything. Mum insisted she took them, found them hidden all over the place.
She had 3 to take but only in the morning.
Eventually got a carer to go in every morning for 30 minutes - she made sure she took them, had a chat and was an extra pair of eyes that noticed things we had missed and was great at communicating, so it worked well until she sadly became to frail.
Strange how they are so convincing tho - it starts to make you doubt your own mind sometimes.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I too had a hard time when mum got in a muddle with her, fortunately non-critical, medication. We tried a dossette box, but mum found it hard to cope with partly due to dementia and partly due to poor eyesight. She also didn't think she was having problems and found the whole thing patronising. Mum wouldn't accept carers either, but I think that if you can persuade your aunt to accept someone coming in to help her take them that will be probably be the best solution at the moment.
The pill problem was one of the red flags that made me realise a care home was the best option, and when mum moved to one, she too the medication without problem.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @jam shed
It may be different for me, as I am a full time carer for my OH and we live together.
When my OH started to forget how to take pills, I had to devise a different stratagem. She would put the pills in her mouth, forget to hold them there so she could take liquid to swallow them, and started chewing the pills. They taste awful, so she'd spit them out.
I got a pill cutter from the pharmacy. I cut the pills and hide them in her breakfast cereal with a few pieces of nut and sultana to disguise the crunch and taste. My OH doesn't notice the pills anymore.
I do the same again in the evening - cut the pills up and put them with a tea spoon of granola - my OH thinks I'm giving her a little bedtime treat and she doesn't notice the pills as pills.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloJb