HELP!!!!!!

Andrea M

May 23, 2024
18 months ago my mother (89) died from Alzheimer's so I am very in tune with symptoms and behaviours. My husband is exhibiting cognition difficulties but is in denial. The latest after 12 months decline was to wake up at qam to ask me if we were having lunch soon. He has had a memory test which he scraped through by guessing the date. I feel frustrated and frankly cross he won't admit he has problems. Has anyone else had similar patterns of denial and what did you do about it?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Always, always get it checked out, it could be be something as simple as an infection, urinary tract infections (UTI) are the ones most commonly quoted on here.
Denial is normal it a situation you have to work with and be on your side.
Sorry but if someone had cancer how often would you be "frustrated and frankly cross if they have that problem" with them?
I've posted on here before about not waving but drowning and that is still how I feel, problem is the people on the seashore don't always know which one it is, are you waving or the alternative. K

Pacucho

Hello Andrea,

As has already been said your husband should see his GP to get to the bottom of what is going on.

The problem you have is that if it is the case he does have dementia, then it is the dementia that doesn't allow him to be able to acknowledge he has issues. In other words it's not that he's in denial; it is simply that he's unable to comprehend what's happening to him because of how the dementia is impacting on his ability to make sense of it.

Therefore, what you may have to try and do is use tactics to somehow persuade him to see his GP, and perhaps speak to the GP in advance as well of your concerns.
Hope this helps,

Paco

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
As others have said, if it is dementia then being unable to acknowledge the problems and having a lack of insight is often normal I'm afraid. No magic answers, it's about getting to the GP

Aqua Marina

Dec 26, 2023
My Mum scored 82/100 last august and was diagnosed MCI, we were all stunned they didnt mention dementia as it was obvs to us coz my dad was diagnosed last march with mixed dementia. dad went into hospital in december so it then became even more obvious he was doing everything for her. I demanded mum be retested asap. In January she got the same diagnosis as Dad, So you have to make sure you are heard as we know them best,

Recent Threads

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
*Constance