Help LPA please

Pidgenpie

Jul 2, 2024
This site looks great
I’ve looked after a family friend for years he’s now got dementure and bed ridden he’s always helped with bills in cash now I’m lpa I’m told I can’t take money from his account in cash towards bills any help please . I’ve kept him from going in care home that’s his wish he’s 87

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hi @Pidgenpie , welcome. I think we need a little more info. Is this friend now living with you and he paid you some regular money for bills etc.? As LPA you have to follow certain regulations, helping your self to cash for whatever reason would probably not be OK. Who told you this?
It may be worth you having a discussion with the helpline so that you can go into more detail .
Hopefully others will also comment who have better insight into this than I do.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
The holder of a PoA isn't allowed to benefit from their position, as I read it you're still taking care of them in your own home?
It gets to be a bit of a gray area there, is someone "paying their own way" rather than being in care a better/cheaper option for them?
I can't see how you can be expected to pay for someone else's living costs, food, heat, travel cost and whatever, even as a family member let alone a family friend.
Advise has followed as I post so I'll just say thank you from us all for what you're doing. K

Pidgenpie

Jul 2, 2024
Thank you so much sap and Kevini I just don’t no what to do he’s on a electric flow bed this impacts on my electric plus washing machine on most of day for his bedding he’s bed bound deaf partly blind dementure but we still have chats . We have carers four times a day . All his food gets processed bless him my husband when he was alive made a promise I’d never put him in a care home as he was more like family than just a mate . Sorry this is long

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Never apologise for a post on here, never say sorry, post as long as you like we are always here to read and offer help where we can. K

Pidgenpie

Jul 2, 2024
I was told I cannot take any money out of his account to help pay towards any household bills
I can however use his card for his food and clothes or bedding has anyone heard of this please

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I was told I cannot take any money out of his account to help pay towards any household bills
I can however use his card for his food and clothes or bedding has anyone heard of this please
Are we talking about someone who lives with you or someone living alone? K

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Clothes are easy, they're for him so he should pay.

Food is not as clear as I assume that you do a shop for both of you and the food is shared.

Suggest that you contact the OPG and ask them to confirm that your friend can pay 50% of your food bill, same with your gas and as he a special bed and continence needs, he pays 60% of your electric bill. You'd probably needs to keep your bills and receipts and his payment would need to be made by cheque or bank transfer.

I think that this is a reasonable request; you're not looking to benefit from your friend but you shouldn't be out of pocket either. OPG should be able to clarify your position.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
That sounds correct.
Check with OPG and query extra laundry,

2024-07-02_205948.png

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Is He living in your home? If so I think it’s worth talking this through with the OPG as you should I would hope he able to agree some sort of ‘rent’ arrangement which may cover the cost he used to give you for bills, If there is precedent as you say that will help.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The basic test is that the expense is in his best interests, not excessive given his finances and does not benefit you as LPA.
Check everything with the OPG.