Help, Dad's dementia is going to kill him and me

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Burf, well done for getting the top up fees waived, especially as you like the home. Will your dad have his own room, in a safe location?

Not such good news about your dad, but it does confirm that you are doing the right thing. There is no way he could cope on his own.

Love,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
At last....

Well done, Burf....:)

It just goes to show if you don't ask you don't get!

And it sounds from the way your dad is that you are doing the right thing. I'm sure dad will settle.

When will he be moving?

Love gigi xx

Cushie Doo

Mar 15, 2009
Central Scotland
Burf's Ma-in-Law

Hi, I am Burf's Ma-in-law and would like to express my appreciation to all you kind folks who have been supporting and advising our dear Burf through the trauma of the past months. Her father is such a "lovely" gentleman and it is so sad to see him in his present condition.:( It is great to know that things look a bit brighter for him now.:) Living so far away, regretfully our ability to provide practical help to the family has been limited, but it is good to know that so many of you can give Burf the understanding and advice that is so valueable at this time.
How I wish that such support as yours' had been available twenty five years ago, when we went through the experience with my mother.:( At that time no one discussed the condition, and one was just left to cope with the stress it involved. How things have moved on, now that the condition is "out in the open"!
Thanks again,
Cushie Doo

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Cushie Doo -- I guessed you were in Scotland as soon as I saw your user name.:) (I'll leave you to explain.)

Welcome to TP. I'm sure Burf is glad of your support too, even though you're so far away.

We all think the world of her, and admire the way she has worked to get solutions for her dad. It must have been hard for you, though, with no support.

I hope you'll keep in touch.

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Will your dad have his own room, in a safe location?

Not such good news about your dad, but it does confirm that you are doing the right thing. There is no way he could cope on his own.

Love,

Hi Hazel

Yes dad will have his own room on the ground floor:D and it has two windows which both look out onto a courtyard/garden. It is not a big room and is not en-suite but it is beautifully decorated and nice and clean.

The thing that I am finding hard to get my head around it actually dad living there.:confused: He is just stating that he is going back home and will marry his partner and they can get a house together and will not under any circumstances move up to be closer to me. So, what do I tell him when it is time to move him over to the new CH, because he will refuse to go (even though he agreed to a 4 week trial with the SW which he nows says he didn't :eek:). I genuinely feel as though dad thinks he is being locked away. Sad to say though, if my experience yesterday was anything to go by, I'm not sure that I want to take him out of the CH for visits/trips it just causes so much upset. Even whilst he has been in his current CH he has said there is nothing to do here, it is just so boring, sitting around all day. I find the thought of that is very upsetting.:(

Love Burfordthecat x x

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
When will he be moving?

Love gigi xx

Hi Gigi

Not too sure yet. Need to get SS to agree funding and then the manager from the home needs to visit dad to see if they can meet his needs. So it is not a totally done and dusted deal yet, but hopefully will be.

Love Burfordthecat x x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Yes dad will have his own room on the ground floor:D and it has two windows which both look out onto a courtyard/garden. It is not a big room and is not en-suite but it is beautifully decorated and nice and clean.

It sounds perfect.:)

En suite only works for a while anyway, while the resident can care for their own personal needs. Once they need help with toileting, and need standaids etc, en suite bathrooms are usually too small. John has en suite, but they always take him to one of the big bathrooms now, because they can't manage him otherwise.

Don't worry about the move, it will all happen. It's impossible to do too much forward planning with this disease.

I think you're right to avoit any trips out for the time being, he needs time to become accustomed to things. It's not easy, I know.

Love,

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Here goes nothing......

Well

This afternoon at 2pm I will be visiting dad together with a gentleman from the new CH. He will do the initial assessment for dad and then tell me whether dad can have a 4 week trial. I am worried about the meeting because if dad is having a bad day, then all plans could be back on hold again.

So far. all the communications I have had with the new CH have been good. I was a little concerned yesterday when I found out that the home did not currently have a manager. Should this worry me? As far as funding is concerned, SS have said that it has all been agreed and that the contract for dad's placement will not include any top up fee.

Keep everything crossed for me.

Love Burfordthecat x x

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Hi,
Thinking of you. Hope all goes well this afternoon. Have just been catching up on your posts and it must have been tough on you getting all this organised. Well done. I was interested to read about the fees and differences between care homes.
Regards,
Gill x

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Burf...

And Cushie Doo..if you're around...(nice to meet you...:))

I was a little concerned yesterday when I found out that the home did not currently have a manager.
....It's not always acause for concern, Burf..Managers do move on..and I assume there's a deputy running things. I think I'd like to how long the home has been managerless..if possible why the previous manager left..and what they are doing about filling the post.

Anyway ...just popped in to see how you were..and here's hoping that things went ok thisafternoon for you..and your dad.

Love gigi xx

Last edited:

Cushie Doo

Mar 15, 2009
Central Scotland
Still Here

Hi, Hazel and Gigi,
Thank you for the welcome. Yes I'm still here, have been quietly following the thread from beginning but only plucked up the courage to join and put in my tuppence worth the other day, as I am so grateful for the support you have all given to "oor" Burf.

And by the way for those of you who don't understand the Scot's vernacular and wish a translation - "Cushie Doo" is a Wood pigeon up here, at least to us "oldies"! :)

Love to all,

Cushie Doo

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
The meeting went OK

Hi Everyone

All those good wishes in my direction did the trick.:) The meeting went well, albeit over an hour late (poor hubby had to be rung at short notice again to collect the children from school and pre-school:eek:). The area manager did the assessment. He basically talked to dad, explained about the home etc. Dad did not seem to be particularly concerned about anything that was mentioned.:rolleyes:

Then something odd happened, for some unknown dementia related reason, dad suddenly thought that he was being interviewed for a job at the home:eek: and began answering the questions as such. Such answers as "I'm the right man for the job and I won't let you down:confused::eek:. The area manager took it all in his stride and stepped into "dad's world".:) End result, manager is happy to take dad on a 4 week trial and believes that he will fit in.:) Also, music to my ears, the area manager stated "without any prompting from me" that for dad's placement he had waived the top up fee and that was a permanent arrangement.:D (I need a backwards flip smilie here!!) It is all arranged that dad moves in on a trial basis this Thursday.(Collapse in a heap, nearly at the finish line smilie).

Also got a bit more background, the area manager used to be the manager of dad's new CH until about 2 months ago when he got the area managers job. Seems a pleasant chap (very, very shiny suit and waxed back hair) but he is really tuned in to dementia. At dad's new CH they are using new style door signs. An example, dad's door will be an orange surround which shows it is a bedroom, it will also say clearly bedroom, underneath it will be a photo of dad together with his name. Must admit, these signs stuck out to me when I visited and I thought what a great idea.:D

Fingers crossed again for me on Thursday.

Love Burfordthecat x x

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Oh Burf
I am so glad things went well for you today- hopefully the finishing line is truly in sight and your dad will settle there.

Love Julie xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sounds brilliant, Burf. And no top-ups! WOW, no wonder you're celebrating!

Hope the move goes well.

Love to you and Cushie Doo,

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Burford,

Wow, looks like you're on a roll!

Good thing about your dad switching into interview mode and the chap doing the assessment picking up on it. Nice to see that your dad can still feel positive and willing to please - even if the circumstances are slightly different than he thinks - the underlying emotion is genuine.

Good luck for Thursday!

Take care,

Sandy

burfordthecat

Jan 9, 2008
Leicestershire
Does this make sense?

Hi Everyone

Well, today is the big one. This afternoon, I collect dad from the assessment bed and take him over to his new CH (hopefully to be permanent). I am worried, seeing how difficult it was when I took dad out at the weekend.:( It has got to be done though.

Thoughts on this please......I spoke to my SW yesterday who stated that she deems dad to not have capacity (currently) to make a decision on where he lives. However, she did say that once the 4 week trial is over, dad can still say where he wants to live (if at that point he is deemed to have capacity).:eek::confused: This makes the mental capacity a waste of time. Dad will always say that he does not want to stay and wants to go back home. So, when and how it is decided that dad stays in full time care. I am currently still "running" his house (paying rent and bills) but obviously from today onwards all of dad's pension apart from £20 a week will be taken off him to pay for his care. So, how long am I expected to keep his house going. I can't pack it away if there is a chance:mad: that dad might still be sent home.

I am finding all of this very worrying, apart from worrying how dad will take to the new CH.

Love Burfordthecat x x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Burford.

Firstly I think it is very unsupportive to expect you to transfer your father on your own. I do feel your dad`s SW should accompany you. My mother`s SW came with us when we moved her.
It is not too late to ask.

You are not expected to keep his house going. You are not responsible for any of his bills.

Once he has been transferred, write a standard letter to all utilities, explaining the position, stating you cannot make yourself responsible for your father`s debts, and let them know all outstanding accounts will be settled in full eventually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarySpindleberry