Help anyone on driving

Johnmc65

Jun 13, 2024
Scotland
I was diagnosed with vascular dementia over a year ago got memory test recently no change dvla took my driv license away since march never gave me even a chance for medical or driving test what can I do

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
I was diagnosed with vascular dementia over a year ago got memory test recently no change dvla took my driv license away since march never gave me even a chance for medical or driving test what can I do
I'm going to be a blunt and not tell you what you want to hear but here goes.

A friend of mine's Dad had dementia and was "safe" to drive until the morning he wasn't. The police were very kind, didn't press charges and kept him at the station until he was collected. His son's employer was very understanding and allowed him to leave work to drive 40 miles to collect Dad. Son's work colleagues were very good and took on an extra day's work between them. Most importantly, no one was injured although I'm sure that there must have been some pretty angry rush hour commuters that day.

Appreciate that it's a loss of independence but please use your usual car expenses and attendance allowance on taxis.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi @Johnmc65 , I'm sorry that you have a diagnosis of dementia. It must be very difficult for you , especially as the DVLA have withdrawn your license. I really do understand how difficult it must be to be unable to drive but I really do think it safer if you no longer drive. My partner lost his license when he was diagnosed and thought he was safe to drive but sadly, I didn't think he was . No one knows how quickly your dementia will progress and how it will affect your judgement and because of that I think for your own sake and that of others that you have to accept you are no longer able to hold a license. I'm really sorry you must feel like you've lost independence .
Stay safe x

Johnmc65

Jun 13, 2024
Scotland
I'm going to be a blunt and not tell you what you want to hear but here goes.

A friend of mine's Dad had dementia and was "safe" to drive until the morning he wasn't. The police were very kind, didn't press charges and kept him at the station until he was collected. His son's employer was very understanding and allowed him to leave work to drive 40 miles to collect Dad. Son's work colleagues were very good and took on an extra day's work between them. Most importantly, no one was injured although I'm sure that there must have been some pretty angry rush hour commuters that day.

Appreciate that it's a loss of independence but please use your usual car expenses and attendance allowance on taxis.
Yes takes a long time to actually accept it but probably you are correct thanks for your honest reply

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
It must feel a massive loss for you @Johnmc65

Please be aware that you can now apply for a free bus pass and the ability to use community transport. I know that’s not the same but hopefully may enable you to get to some or the places you want to.

Johnmc65

Jun 13, 2024
Scotland
Hi @Johnmc65 , I'm sorry that you have a diagnosis of dementia. It must be very difficult for you , especially as the DVLA have withdrawn your license. I really do understand how difficult it must be to be unable to drive but I really do think it safer if you no longer drive. My partner lost his license when he was diagnosed and thought he was safe to drive but sadly, I didn't think he was . No one knows how quickly your dementia will progress and how it will affect your judgement and because of that I think for your own sake and that of others that you have to accept you are no longer able to hold a license. I'm really sorry you must feel like you've lost independence .
Stay safe x
Thanks for your positive reply yes it’ really hard but I’m going to accept it now

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
There may also be a saving.

A friend’s Mum felt like she ought to stop driving. When she added up the costs of running and using her car (tax, MOT, insurance, servicing, petrol, parking fees) and compared it to taking taxis instead, the taxis worked out cheaper.

Johnmc65

Jun 13, 2024
Scotland
It must feel a massive loss for you @Johnmc65

Please be aware that you can now apply for a free bus pass and the ability to use community transport. I know that’s not the same but hopefully may enable you to get to some or the places you want to.
Yes definitely a big loss especially when you’re licence is big part of your job

Johnmc65

Jun 13, 2024
Scotland
There may also be a saving.

A friend’s Mum felt like she ought to stop driving. When she added up the costs of running and using her car (tax, MOT, insurance, servicing, petrol, parking fees) and compared it to taking taxis instead, the taxis worked out cheaper.
Yes I know what you’re saying but been involved with cars most of my life so hard and thank you for repl to me I get lost in myself then I remember this forum and all the nice advice I get from everyone thank you so much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allyjhilier