Hello, yes, I'm the daughter

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Sorry your dad is poorly @imthedaughter, and that you are so far away you can't visit that easily.
I hope the antibiotics do their magic. Thinking of you {{{hugs}}}
Am hoping they can get him some antibiotics!
Then I think to myself, dad doesn't appear to be in pain, hasn't aspirated and would probably not mind a quick trip - he always said about his sister falling down the stairs - at least it was quick, said it was ideal. He never liked Christmas anyway.
If he can be kept comfortable, I suppose I must leave it in the hands of fate.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Have called the home twice today, and my brother has called as well. Meds are supposed to be delivered by 6pm. 72 hours without antibiotics despite them being prescribed. Not very impressed but not sure how much is in their control...

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Have called the home twice today, and my brother has called as well. Meds are supposed to be delivered by 6pm. 72 hours without antibiotics despite them being prescribed. Not very impressed but not sure how much is in their control...
ive heard because the strep b outbreak, some anti-bios are in short supply. dont know if thats the case with your dads home

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
ive heard because the strep b outbreak, some anti-bios are in short supply. dont know if thats the case with your dads home
Yes that is exactly the case. Strep is apparently rife in the city but it is a big city, seems impossible to have three days without any type of them.

Pork Pie lady

Mar 16, 2013
Anglia
I've just had a message, they have managed to get some. I still feel quite divided about it but I feel like we can't withhold antibiotics.
If you are having doubts about continuing treatment please call the home and talk to them about it. They may be able to give you a clearer picture about the chances of him getting over this.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
If you are having doubts about continuing treatment please call the home and talk to them about it. They may be able to give you a clearer picture about the chances of him getting over this.
I have spoken to them about it and they believe he should have antibiotics. Although I find different members of staff have different views - one of them would have had him hospitalised but the paramedics and I disagreed. But in the moment it is hard to weigh up!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Call this morning - another ambulance called out and this time they are saying fluid on the lungs and possible heart failure. The paramedic is going to talk to dad's doctor who is supposed to be coming out this morning anyway but they think we could be looking at end of life. They have given painkilling medication to keep him comfortable. I am hoping to learn more about what they can do to keep him comfortable this morning and what the doctor thinks as well.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
It`s a waiting and watching time @imthedaughter It`s so painful.
Yes I'm not sure right now what to do for the best. I'm back at home which is 5 hours drive away, nowhere to stay in the city dad is in due to relatives having either no room or covid or both, and currently no car as it's in the garage! Car hire and hotels are scarce due to Christmas visiting. Options are limited fight now. I'm not sure dad would want us to hang around waiting for him to die either, but it goes against the grain to not rush down.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Try to accept it is what it is. Your dad is not alone. There are people around him who are trying to keep him comfortable.

It`s an unhappy situation but there`s no point in attempting the impossible.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm sorry to hear the turn that things have taken, I do understand your comments about whether continuing antibiotics was the right thing to do, although it looks like events have overtaken that.

As Grannie G says he does have people around him, and he won't be alone. You've visited recently so try to take comfort from that.

If you did get down, he could pass whilst you nipped out for a break anyway.

5 hours of driving each way is tough, and with train strikes the roads are likely to be getting busier.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
You could try to make the trip but he might pop off while you are en route. You could arrive in time and sit with him for hours but, as documented here, he could wait until you leave the room for some reason and then pop off.
I suspect you said your goodbye when you last saw him, will it really make any difference to his death if you are with him or not? The only one of my family/loved ones whose death I saw/attended was when my husband was dying of cancer and his heart stopped suddenly and unexpectedly just as I was holding his hand. I know that was just as he wanted to go so have considered that a blessing. He was at home but I doubt I would have been sitting beside him waiting if it had been a long vigil as there would have been dogs to walk, meals to get ready etc. etc.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Thanks all - I'm going to see what the home and dr say. At the moment they are calling my younger brother which although is usually a bad idea, he's been keeping me up to date and he's even said he will go in and sign paperwork which is probably the most practical thing seeing as he is nearby. I may still go down, but it can't be today. There will be practical things we need to do as well no doubt.
I think the response I got on Saturday may have been the last we ever get though, he's entering the twilight zone, which on balance, is probably more pleasant than a lot of things which could be happening.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
In a spectacular turn of events, younger brother has turned up at the home and is with his dad for the first time in a good few years. Music is on and drugs are being administered to keep him comfortable. The doctors think the end is nigh and the home have staff in the room at all times to monitor. This is as good as it gets I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sujokealma